JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Criminal charge in Marysville case shows NICS flaw UBC can't fix

Breaking news today that the father of Marysville Pilchuck High School shooter Jaylen Fryberg has been arrested for having "illegally purchased" the handgun used in that October tragedy demonstrates a flaw in the National Instant Check System (NICS) that cannot be fixed by so-called "universal background check" legislation.

<broken link removed>

Dave, you quote Rep. McCoy in the article:

"The Seattle Times quoted an Associated Press story that said State Sen. John McCoy, a member of the Tulalip Tribes "didn't know Fryberg had been subject to a restraining order." "That's exceptionally troublesome to me," McCoy told a reporter. "It points me to the issue we've been arguing about in the state, that people are not going to tell the truth when they fill out the forms to buy a gun, so maybe we should have a registry of people who are subject to these orders. That'll be more fodder for discussion."

Rep. McCoy (being not only a tribal member but also a fairly powerful Democratic House member) might have some sway. Why not take him up on this? Surely a public registry of prohibited persons is preferable to I-594??

FOLLOW-UP:

Detention hearing set Thursday for Pilchuck shooter's dad

A detention hearing is scheduled tomorrow in federal court for Raymond Lee Fryberg, father of Marysville Pilchuck High School shooter Jaylen Fryberg, on a charge of unlawful possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, the Everett Herald is reporting.

<broken link removed>

Wondering just what is involved in obtaining a restraining order. And in this case, a permanent restraining order. Does there need to be proof of intent to cause physical harm? Does there need to be proof of prior behavior involving physical harm?

It just seems odd that a persons constitutional rights can be taken away for life without the commission of a crime, being accused of a crime, or being arrested.

Wondering just what is involved in obtaining a restraining order. And in this case, a permanent restraining order. Does there need to be proof of intent to cause physical harm? Does there need to be proof of prior behavior involving physical harm?

It just seems odd that a persons constitutional rights can be taken away for life without the commission of a crime, being accused of a crime, or being arrested.
I think I read somewhere that he violated the terms of his probation - he must have had some prior DV incidents.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top