JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Yea, but the "authorities" love the ability to stop your car when they are hunting you down do they n
For me, that is a highly debatable assertion, but having had that exchange with others, it would be unlikely we would ever see eye to eye.
Thankfully, unlike insurances, and taxes, I have yet been compelled by law to give up my autonomy on such things though the way thing are going, feel compelled to knock on wood!
No doubt! They just keep taking lil by lil for illegitimate reasons.

Since 1994, I have driven an "old skewl" 2-door Ford Exploder Sport. Really simple vehicle with some nice perks for the time (electric 4WD, EFI, ABS brakes, cruise, etc.). But after driving it for 20-odd years and 300,000+ miles, I figured it was time for a second vehicle. So, I bought a Hyundai Sonata as my replacement daily driver and put the Exploder in reserve.

Just a few months after getting my new Sonata, I was headed up I-90's Snoqualmie Pass in a driving rain. From decades of driving experience, I knew enough not to drive with cruise control engaged, so I had turned that off a while back. As I was negotiating a particularly curvy section of the highway just over the crest of what's known locally as Easton Hill, headed downhill, my FWD vehicle started swerving and losing traction. Having already slowed down considerably due to the conditions, I was shocked and surprised as I started swerving down the highway, unwilling to hit the brakes, since I was already in a loss-of-traction situation. Talk about sucking your boxers up your butthole!

About that time, a stupid little yellow light that resembled a skidding vehicle started flashing on my instrument cluster, which grabbed my attention. I realized at that moment that the "traction assist" function that the salesman had bragged about a few months earlier was apparently engaged. Well, it certainly wasn't working like one would have expected! :eek: A quick search of the dashboard located the on-off button. I slammed that button so hard I thought the dashboard would end up in the engine compartment! Instantly, I had control over the vehicle again and recovered before I hit the Jersey rails. I have never engaged that bullshiit "traction assist" feature again! :s0002:

Last Edited:
... snips ... A quick search of the dashboard located the on-off button. I slammed that button so hard I thought the dashboard would end up in the engine compartment! Instant;y, I had control over the vehicle again and recovered before I hit the Jersey rails. I have never enggaged that bullshiit "traction assist" feature again! :s0002:
wow sobo, I pictured that vividly in my mind, thank goodness you could think and act and recovered control.

After reading the experiences we're sharing here, I just wonder – how many drivers cannot correct as quickly, for whatever reason? How many "accidents" are these new features causing?

wow sobo, I pictured that vividly in my mind, thank goodness you could think and act and recovered control.

After reading the experiences we're sharing here, I just wonder – how many drivers cannot correct as quickly, for whatever reason? How many "accidents" are these new features causing?
The harsh reality is that there are 10s of thousands of licensed drivers on the road right now who don't possess the necessary skills. I doubt advances in vehicle safety features will change that. What is changed is manufacturer liability, which is the driving (pun!) force behind this trend.

The harsh reality is that there are 10s of thousands of licensed drivers on the road right now who don't possess the necessary skills. I doubt advances in vehicle safety features will change that. What is changed is manufacturer liability, which is the driving (pun!) force behind this trend.
I propose the "advances" will change that ... for the worse. Ai-yi-yi ...

(purport vs propose ?? – ya know what I mean)

Since 1994, I have driven an "old skewl" 2-door Ford Exploder Sport. Really simple vehicle with some nice perks for the time (electric 4WD, EFI, ABS brakes, cruise, etc.). But after driving it for 20-odd years and 300,000+ miles, I figured it was time for a second vehicle. So, I bought a Hyundai Sonata as my replacement daily driver and put the Exploder in reserve.

Just a few months after getting my new Sonata, I was headed up I-90's Snoqualmie Pass in a driving rain. From decades of driving experience, I knew enough not to drive with cruise control engaged, so I had turned that off a while back. As I was negotiating a particularly curvy section of the highway just over the crest of what's known locally as Easton Hill, headed downhill, my FWD vehicle started swerving and losing traction. Having already slowed down considerably due to the conditions, I was shocked and surprised as I started swerving down the highway, unwilling to hit the brakes, since I was already in a loss-of-traction situation. Talk about sucking your boxers up your butthole!

About that time, a stupid little yellow light that resembled a skidding vehicle started flashing on my instrument cluster, which grabbed my attention. I realized at that moment that the "traction assist" function that the salesman had bragged about a few months earlier was apparently engaged. Well, it certainly wasn't working like one would have expected! :eek: A quick search of the dashboard located the on-off button. I slammed that button so hard I thought the dashboard would end up in the engine compartment! Instantly, I had control over the vehicle again and recovered before I hit the Jersey rails. I have never enggaged that bullshiit "traction assist" feature again! :s0002:
A trip through Snoqualmie pass in bad weather is like a day on the sands of the coliseum.
Sick thrill ride. Emphasis on sick.

Yup.
Subaru "eyesight " is equally stupid. Steering assist tried pushing my brand new car into a different lane every time I long strip of that dark tar was present.
We end up paying for features we don't want, or plainly can't make use of.
I had a Subaru Legacy as a rental car when I was visiting Sacramento where some family still lives there. The lane assist feature almost changed lanes into other car. It was scary and I had to use all of strength to not have a collision. I was driving on I-5 south into Sacramento and there are no lines on some the sections of pavement so I am not why the car was doing what was doing.

Should I thank Brandon for this one?

Nope.....
I'm more concerned with the INFLATION (price tag) that comes with more Govt mandates on my future vehicle. Not to mention, the cost to fix such gadgets (and/or too keep them calibrated).

Aloha, Mark

PS......thinking like a Dem (and/or SAFETY NUT).
Why not add, facial recognition (or secret code number) in order to start up a vehicle? Keys are so "old fashion". You know.....to prevent an unauthorized start-up of my vehicle.

And then, I thought about.....what if a vehicle COULD NOT/WILL NOT/CANNOT start at all? Yeah, unless the seat belts are fastened (by everyone, within the vehicle).

Yeah.....can I say/claim that it's ALL in the name of SAFETY? OMG!!!

1663876856080.png

Last Edited:
I've been a car guy since I was a child. These days, I don't see anything that I'd really like to buy. The sales guy points out the Bluetooth feature, my eyes glaze over. It's not something I need.

My old 1972 Ford Ranch Wagon is getting old, 50 year birthday this year. A few years ago, I looked at the Ford Flex as a possible replacement. I asked to see the engine, which most buyers don't care to see these days as it means nothing to them. Many salesmen these days don't know much about what's going on under there now anyway. But this guy was into it. I guess the car I was looking at was the deluxe model. The salesman pointed out to me, "This one has two turbos on it. When you step on the gas, it really takes off, because one of the turbos is already spooled up and you don't experience any turbo lag." Which definitely has never been a problem on the 72 Ranch Wagon. But my thinking was, "Okay, two turbos to go wrong instead of just one."

The 72 Ranch Wagon will haul 4 x 8 foot sheet goods in the back; the Flex will not.

We have one "newer car" which Mrs. Merkt drives, it's a 2012 Hyundai. Which I don't concern myself with as it never breaks and I take it to the Hyundai store every once in a while for routine service, I don't enjoy doing it on that car.

I also have a 2004 Ford Crown Victoria base model that I bought new, then some years later I bought a second hand 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis which has everything on it. These are the two cars that I drive. They are durable vehicles, don't need much attention, fuel economy isn't awful for their size but won't touch a Prius, that's for sure. These are the kind of car I like and choose to drive. That's why I say I don't really see anything new for sale that I'd like to replace them with. I probably won't live long enough to experience the inevitability of having to buy a fully electric vehicle.

collision protection
I wasn't aware of this feature. Which I can see has a definite down side.

It turned out a oxygen sensor was the reason the computer was shutting off the engine,
One of my daughters' Hyundai has begun shutting down now and then, unbidden. She could have a similar issue. She made an appointment with the Hyundai store for a service visit, but anything sooner than one month's wait wasn't available. Her car gets used much harder and is not taken care of like Mrs. Merkt's.

Re. electric cars, specifically the Tesla. And there may be others that I'm not aware of. I think autonomous driving systems are a crazy idea. Driving is a full time job, it shouldn't be handed over to an electronic substitute at any level. Once having spent the money on it, the human proclivity is to utilize it as fully as possible. To use it while still maintaining full vigilance and being poised at the controls to take over is antithetical to the whole concept. So of course people are going to attempt to use it to its full, supposed potential. Recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Then there is the deal with newer Diesel trucks that have to use the Diesel Exhaust Fluid. I've been told that when the DEF gets used up, the truck automatically goes into limp mode. Not only does this seem like it creates potential for danger, but running in limp mode can damage the vehicle.

No comment .
Lol we have this B.S.
ON SOME OF THE TRUCKS I DRIVE AT WORK.
and like I said it's B.S.
And it's dangerous.
Cars trucks what ever.
Applying the breaks for you.
Sometimes applying the breaks hard and fast.
Very dangerous in winter driving conditions.
That's my no comment.LOL

Yup.
Subaru "eyesight " is equally stupid. Steering assist tried pushing my brand new car into a different lane every time I long strip of that dark tar was present.
We end up paying for features we don't want, or plainly can't make use of.
Just wait till ya see what's coming in 2025

Can we still say,
'Let's go Brandon'?

Hummmmmm.....maybe Brandon and The Congress Critters are prepping us to be more accepting of the coming automatic locks on guns and microstamping, etc....

Rrrrrrright.......in the name of SAFETY.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....How about a weight check of appliance owners.....before......
The refrigerator door will open?
The stove will turn on?
The Locks on the kitchen cabinet and pantry doors will work?
Or, the can opener will operate, etc....etc.....

LOL.
Yeah.....in the Name of Health.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR