Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New Trap/Skeet Shooter

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alanbrendan, Sep 27, 2012.

1. alanbrendan

alanbrendan Forest Grove, OR New Member

Recently started shooting trap/skeet with my dad. Looking for a decent o/u for a decent price. Great forum. Recommended by a friend.

2. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

which one trap or skeet? two differenttypes of gun. Trap shooters prefer a longer barrel with a fairly tight choke, skeet shooters like a short barrel with a nearly cylinder bore choke.

That being said, a decent o/u will run you into the 1000 dollar range, personally I would stay away from the heavy, blocky imports offered by a few companies (generally turkish made) and concentrate on a 2 3/4" chambered gun made in japan or the U.S., after all it is for targets.

If they are outside your budget use a pump or an auto, I have known many pro shooters who would have nothing else.

the key part is to get a gun that fits you, (or make it fit you)

3. alanbrendan

alanbrendan Forest Grove, OR New Member

Thanks for the reply. I am more in the market for a gun for skeet. My dad has a Browning Citori Lightning Sporting Clays Edition. I have tried out a few, and I like the way his gun feels the best. I would like to stay towards the low end of $650 to $1000, but if something feels right, I have no problem going a little higher.

Having said that, I borrowed a Remington 1100 last weekend to shoot trap and enjoyed it (when it didn't jam up, needed maintenance).