JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now that I am retired I probably won't be buying any new vehicles until I lose my license when I get too old to drive - at which point, if they have a totally self-driving electric vehicle that I can afford, I might trade-in everything I have (two trucks, an SUV and two motorcycles) as I won't be able to use them anymore. We'll see if I live that long.

At which point, it won't be me driving, it will be the car.

Right now, I drive maybe 50 miles per week, vs 400 miles per week that I used to drive.

Sounds like the little gizmo that Progressive tried to get me to plug into my OBDII port for 3 months in order to potentially save money on my policy.

I looked into what kind of behavior would cause rates to increase and two of them were tires breaking loose, and driving in early morning hours.

I live in an area where there is snow and ice five months out of the year and my tires spinning is a daily occurrence. I also work a graveyard shift and driving to lunch at 1 am would also increase rates.

I declined their babysitting. If decades of no tickets or at-fault accidents isn't good enough, then they can suck it.

ToughPenguin.jpg

Last Edited:
It's my first use of the "I posted something and then I changed my mind and deleted it." meme... :)

Not new, this happens in semis already. ELD rat us out on everything.

People just don't care about invasion of privacy until it happens to them.

There is a difference between when you are driving a tractor/trailer rig and a small car - the former you are doing a job you get paid for, and your employer has the right to know what you are doing with a rig that costs six figures and that they are liable for your actions, not to mention the cargo and possibly the rig, most likely the trailer.

There is a difference between when you are driving a tractor/trailer rig and a small car - the former you are doing a job you get paid for, and your employer has the right to know what you are doing with a rig that costs six figures and that they are liable for your actions, not to mention the cargo and possibly the rig, most likely the trailer.
Owner ops with engines made after 1999 (and having one from before is an increase in insurance due to breakdown and cause they know you'll run illegally) require ELD. Its not just company drivers.

And that argument is also how some companies get away with driver facing cameras, which is a big invasion of privacy. Considering I have a gun in my truck, well that's a big issue for me.

Now that I am retired I probably won't be buying any new vehicles until I lose my license when I get too old to drive - at which point, if they have a totally self-driving electric vehicle that I can afford, I might trade-in everything I have (two trucks, an SUV and two motorcycles) as I won't be able to use them anymore. We'll see if I live that long.

At which point, it won't be me driving, it will be the car.

Right now, I drive maybe 50 miles per week, vs 400 miles per week that I used to drive.

I belong to that club too.
I retired about 15 years ago.
Had to sell my Harley because I no longer felt safe riding. (That really hurt)
I have a 2007 F-150 with 21,000 miles on it. It still smells new.
My wife drives us everywhere we go now.
It sucks getting old.
However I am still extremely good looking.
That is why I use a cane.
I need it to beat off all the women.........:p

My Chrysler (2018) had the option to sign up for a driving uplink. I also get a vehicle report, including current tire pressures and miles driven, every month. My driving occurs on public roads, so there is no privacy issue as such.

I had to stop plugging the car in recently so it would start burning off the tank full of gasoline from November. Just got it down to 1/2 and topped it a few days ago due to an unexpected trip to central OR and back. Good timing.

My most modern vehicle is a 2011 ford ranger, in my person possession. My next vehicle will be a 68 rusted up impala that'll be gutted then turned into a sleeper.

No uplink for me. Though speeding tickets...

I had to stop plugging the car in recently so it would start burning off the tank full of gasoline from November. Just got it down to 1/2 and topped it a few days ago due to an unexpected trip to central OR and back. Good timing.

Hybrid?

I am hoping by the time I have to buy another car that the battery tech will improve to where the range is closer to 1K miles than 500 miles, and that the infrastructure is as ubiquitous as gas stations are.

I am wanting to convert my pickup to diesel - looking at getting an 80s era 5 or 6 cylinder MB 3 liter diesel to stick into it - maybe this winter - it needs a clutch but the engine is about worn out too, so I might as well do the whole shebang at the same time. My trucks (pickup and flatbed) would be my old school vehicles, both diesel with no electronics, my BMW X1 is my nice daily driver that I don't drive daily anymore.

I've got over 100K on the Bimmer, but at my current rate, it should last another 5-10 years.

Yeah, I got a Pacifica PHEV and lost my man card. Darn thing got 37+ to Bend and back on gasoline though, and I wasn't letting any grass grow under me. It will cover 33 miles or so on the battery so almost all the driving I do doesn't burn fuel. Nice to have that 500+ miles in the tank if needed though.

I would have bought a Prius if they were AWD at the time that I bought my X1, but they only just now started making them in AWD. Without AWD I sometimes can't get out of my neighborhood much less down or up the mountain, so all of my rigs are either AWD or 4x4.

Hybrid?

I am hoping by the time I have to buy another car that the battery tech will improve to where the range is closer to 1K miles than 500 miles, and that the infrastructure is as ubiquitous as gas stations are.

I am wanting to convert my pickup to diesel - looking at getting an 80s era 5 or 6 cylinder MB 3 liter diesel to stick into it - maybe this winter - it needs a clutch but the engine is about worn out too, so I might as well do the whole shebang at the same time. My trucks (pickup and flatbed) would be my old school vehicles, both diesel with no electronics, my BMW X1 is my nice daily driver that I don't drive daily anymore.

I've got over 100K on the Bimmer, but at my current rate, it should last another 5-10 years.
Definitely look for an older engine. I can tell you def sucks and adds more than just the cost at the pump!

Sounds like the little gizmo that Progressive tried to get me to plug into my OBDII port for 3 months in order to potentially save money on my policy.

I looked into what kind of behavior would cause rates to increase and two of them were tires breaking loose, and driving in early morning hours.

I live in an area where there is snow and ice five months out of the year and my tires spinning is a daily occurrence. I also work a graveyard shift and driving to lunch at 1 am would also increase rates.

I declined their babysitting. If decades of no tickets or at-fault accidents isn't good enough, then they can suck it.

Great, I get up at 0400 to go fishing and the boat ramps almost always cause a slip if I forget to turn off tow mode. I'd be screwed.

Definitely look for an older engine. I can tell you def sucks and adds more than just the cost at the pump!

Oh yeah - these are very much pre-DEF. Mech injection. Turbo though, which is what I would need. The 606 might not fit in the pickup, but the 617 would and does. The 606 is DOHC and more modern, but is a 6 cylinder. You can swap a mech IP in and run without electronics, getting good power, good fuel efficiency and durability. Just not sure if it will fit lengthwise without mods to the firewall and/or front grill. Would prefer to pay someone to do it that has done it before, but I do have a shop and the know how (I was a diesel mech in a previous life) and now I have the time.

The 617 is known to fit, but is not as nice.

We'll see - or maybe not right away. I should do it while I have a shop though - thinking of selling property next year - already got 3 people interested, including two neighbors who want to buy it for their kids to keep them close by. Don't blame them - I want to buy land so my kids can build a custom house on it and I would live in a shop with living quarters - err, office (it would be rural, can't have two residences on most farm plots, but you can have an "office" for the farm).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top