JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great, I get up at 0400 to go fishing and the boat ramps almost always cause a slip if I forget to turn off tow mode. I'd be screwed.

The public road to my private road is gravel. You can't really drive it without slippage. Then there is the snow and ice on the mountain in the winter.

_nc_ohc=Xu8Iw8sXnyoAX_9MvtI&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

My wife has a new 2020 Toyota, wouldn't surprise me that it can upload data. It has an always-on cell phone connection, and we don't even subscribe to anything.

In a previous car I had, a 2016 GTI, a popular "demod" was to remove the telematics module. VW installed the telematics module into the gauge cluster, like a tumor, to dissuade the average person from removing it. With basic electronics skills most people can easily remove it. I guess it is time to do the same to our Toyota. Even if I don't remove the module, disabling the antenna should be enough. And, it's not illegal for me to "demod" my car as I see fit (except for emissions)

Key questions:
  • What might be in the vehicle-purchase contract that provides consent? If you're buying a new vehicle you should read the fine print.
  • What events are reported for the vehicle, and for each event what (if any) location data (e.g. GPS coordinates) are reported with the event? Examples include engine start, engine stop, periodic movement events, speeding events where the map/GPS knows your location and the speed limit, hard braking events, or other 'extreme' events.
  • How are the events reported? Does the vehicle have a cellular-enabled system? Does it connect to an app on your smartphone and then upload the events that way?

Over time, the strongest indicator of being a "bad" driver is hard breaking.
That actually makes sense. If that's what the insurance telemetry watches then I'm golden. If they watch for violating the GPS "known" speed limits then perhaps not so much since the road I take on the final mile home is posted 35 but the GPS thinks it's a 25

G forces from 3 axis accelerometers.
GPS location (real-time if tasked, but always mapped)
Full stops vs creeping "cali style" no-stops.
Fuel level - with a nifty calc metric. Do you usually run around partially to empty? Or full?
Time, date, distance yada yada...
But also temp (in and outside - they know when its freezing) And ABS info (They know the roads are slippery before you do.)
Every instrument and cab control you touch or manipulate. Everything.
All drive-train and engine management condition codes. Tire air, etc.
# of passengers. (seat loads)
Entertainment system controls (levels, etc.)
Perimeter alarm system alerts (The echo locators on many cars to alert to blind spots)

There's lots more.

It just keeps getting too depressing. Sorry.

You all are going to really hate 5g. :(

Given the stastics on life expectancy and barring unforeseen exigencies I expect the '14 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 Turbo to be the car we're using for the rest of our lives. Fine with me. I like it just fine. Last year for the 274hp engine and less snoopy crap than the new ones. I also expect our '03 F-250 with < 48k mi to outlast me. Yeah, it only gets 12 mpg under any conditions, but I can buy a lot of gas for the price of a new one. I also suspect it would the be the thing to be driving should I ever be surrounded by a Communist mob with malicious intent. :eek:

G forces from 3 axis accelerometers.
GPS location (real-time if tasked, but always mapped)
Full stops vs creeping "cali style" no-stops.
Fuel level - with a nifty calc metric. Do you usually run around partially to empty? Or full?
Time, date, distance yada yada...
But also temp (in and outside - they know when its freezing) And ABS info (They know the roads are slippery before you do.)
Every instrument and cab control you touch or manipulate. Everything.
All drive-train and engine management condition codes. Tire air, etc.
# of passengers. (seat loads)
Entertainment system controls (levels, etc.)
Perimeter alarm system alerts (The echo locators on many cars to alert to blind spots)

There's lots more.

It just keeps getting too depressing. Sorry.

You all are going to really hate 5g. :(

Yup, my wife's 2020 Corolla has all of this. Even knows how many people are in the back seat and freaks out if someone isn't wearing a seat belt (BTW I heard even newer cars will have a "buckle to start" feature, you gotta have seatbelt buckled to start car).
We only paid $20K for the car, all of the tech being dumped into cars must either be subsidized or dirt cheap. The car can drive itself, even. Can hear our conversations. Knows the speed limit (sign recognition) can see cars around it (BSM) has Wi-Fi. I can't believe how much stuff for $20K. Did I mention how cheap it is to have your driving life monitored? Can it monitor our house and devices when parked at home? Why not? The days of a cheap car with simple crank windows and no A/C are over. We have the most basic version of the Corolla, and even then we can't escape it.

I'm definitely going to disable the telematics module in it!

And you are very right about 5G:mad:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads