JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Please refer to RCW 9.41.050, which is fairly specific:

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
Boy has that changed since the last time I read those laws maybe 2 years ago.
I stand corrected,thanks for the update

Boy has that changed since the last time I read those laws maybe 2 years ago.
I stand corrected,thanks for the update
But after reading slimer's explanation,it hasn't changed.
And it is pretty much as he said it is three different parts.
But they do write laws so only lawyers can decide in court,what they really say

if you have kids in the car then obviously keep it on your person, or put in glove box and LOCK the glove box when pumping fuel.

This should just be common sense.

Anyway ,another thing to not do in Tacoma is leave your car running in the drive or at the store. Can't remember if it's a fine there but it could get you a stolen car pretty easy.;)

My new model blackhawk in .45cal with a 7 1/2 in. Bbl is a bit to big to be carried on me concealed. I have been pulled over by richland pd as well as benton county, and handed them my ccp with my license. They asked me where my hand gun was and I told them under the seat. They said ok, your whatever is out and sent me on my way. Didn't even run me. So, to me, the part that says the licensee is in the vehicle at all times the loaded pistol is there means just that. Under the seat, in the jockey box, on your person or locked in the rig out of sight when you are not in there.
Curious to hear if others have had differing interpretations from law enforcement officers.

My new model blackhawk in .45cal with a 7 1/2 in. Bbl is a bit to big to be carried on me concealed. I have been pulled over by richland pd as well as benton county, and handed them my ccp with my license. They asked me where my hand gun was and I told them under the seat. They said ok, your whatever is out and sent me on my way. Didn't even run me. So, to me, the part that says the licensee is in the vehicle at all times the loaded pistol is there means just that. Under the seat, in the jockey box, on your person or locked in the rig out of sight when you are not in there.
Curious to hear if others have had differing interpretations from law enforcement officers.
Same result with WSP. Pistol on driveline hump under a rag. No problem. There is a letter available from the AG office explaining this RCW.

Please refer to RCW 9.41.050, which is fairly specific:

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
:s0101:

I have lived and worked in Tacoma for years (and in the not too distant past). I visit it often as well. I wouldn't OC in Tacoma, plus it is so easy in WA to get you CPL (COncealed Pistol License) that I did that. At the time I got it a few years back it was in a rural county and it took me 11 days from my walk in to the sheriff's office and tell them I want a CPL, pay my money, do the paperwork, get fingerprinted to....My CPL showed up in the mail today. 11 daYS! Now it might take 30 in Pierce County (Tacoma) these days but if it did. I would be surprised.

There is just no good reason to OC in Western Washington cities. Sure I know it is our right etc. Lots of current and retired military there as well as gang bangers and liberal snowflakes...and let's face it you don't need the aggravation of getting hassled to "exercise your right."

These days I am pretty sure most LEOs look at someone OCing as a possible threat or the next mass murdering lunatic. More recently I went to a gun show down town Tacoma and had to take a light rail train back to our car to leave my EDC knive and EDC pistol because no guns allowed and they had medal detectors.

Only folks allowed to carry in the show were the uniformed LEOs on duty, shopping or pulling security.
I can't recall the last time I saw any one who wasn't a cop or armed guard OCing in Tacoma. And that spans the past 35 years.
Get your WA CPL, easy peezy unless you got a record.

Brutus Out

Yes the rcw lists three conditions that a loaded pistol may be inside a vehicle. 1 is if the cpl holder has it on his person. 2 is if the cpl holder is in the vehicle, does not say on his person. 3 is if the cpl holder is not in the vehicle and the pistol is locked in the vehicle and concealed from view. Clearly a cpl holder does not have to keep a pistol on his person while in a vehicle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top