JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"You can not go into a building that has a mental help facility. Ie Hospital is ok if no mental help center. Kaiser Clinic with a mental help area in it is a no go."
This is incorrect. The law clearly states that only the secure area of a mental health facility are a prohibited location.

"Government buildings - Fed/state/county/city admin buildings."
This bit is incorrect. The only thing listed that's correct is federal buildings.
There is nothing in the law stating you cannot carry in a state, county, or city admin building.

Really!!?? You ever tried walking into the County/City building in downtown Tacoma?

The people who answer those 911 calls at the LESA center are amazing. Most could not do that job for even half a shift without throwing down their headset and walking out. It's a job that is highly underpaid for the crap they have to deal with.

Yea, I looked into that in my search of a good job and my wife looked at me and said I'd be a total wreck by the end of the week because I'd have to sit there listening to bad stuff happening and not being able to do anything but stay on the phone - much less all of the idiots that call.

Still considering deputy sheriff when I'm back in much better shape thenI am now and can pass the physical tests with flying colors - but I have a long way to go till then.

I can assure you in Ttown you will get calls to 911. It's what happens after the call goes out. Often an Officer will ask a supervisor to either cancel the call or make it a "patrol check". Nice way of saying ignore. Some times no supervisor will, or is busy and does not answer. In that case many Officers take their sweet time getting there hoping you are gone. A lot of the guys who do this probably have no clue how many 911 calls they generate doing this. Some I have no doubt do know and want the attention. The people who answer those 911 calls at the LESA center are amazing. Most could not do that job for even half a shift without throwing down their headset and walking out. It's a job that is highly underpaid for the crap they have to deal with.
Crap I can just imagine the calls they get in 'T town'.
I would suppose their response time is quicker if it's in some neighborhoods than others. Of course east McKinley street is were y'all hang out most the time anyway,lol

Crap I can just imagine the calls they get in 'T town'.
I would suppose their response time is quicker if it's in some neighborhoods than others. Of course east McKinley street is were y'all hang out most the time anyway,lol

I feel sorry for the people who live on the east side who are old and have always lived there. When some of the connected decided to invest in downtown and ran off a lot of the crime they pushed it there. Some of those folks are now kind of stuck. A few times years ago when Wife was looking for a new house she showed me ads for that part of town. Said this looks really good. I had to tell her there is a reason it's so cheap. You would need to put sand bags at the windows and 10ft fence around yard.

Try getting even a pocket knife into the Clark county admin building and let me know how that goes...

Same for the IRS building or Juvenal court building across the street - even my belt buckle sets those metal detectors off.:rolleyes:
The topic here is the law, not speculation.
The law says you can carry into the Clark county admin. So says RCW 9.41.290 and 9.41.300.
IRS is federal so my previous statement stands.

The law is clear. I'm not here to make guesses and hope for the best while carrying a firearm.
Learn the law.

One of the stipulations of the preemptive law is local municipalities can make their buildings off limits.
So why don't you try being excellent to everyone.
Statements like "learn the law" aren't necessary. If you don't like the speculation move on....with your finger off the keys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Auburn. And no I don't look like a leo. I just go about my business.
To be fair: Auburn PD does have better things to do than to worry about someone open carrying. Most calls to Auburn PD go unanswered or get answered very late due to the high crime rate there.

My GF used to live in Auburn, and the cops showed up in her neighborhood daily breaking up fights responding to robberies, gunshots, etc. Not even exaggerating in the slightest. EVERY SINGLE DAY the cops were there to respond to domestic violence calls, car windows smashed, home invasions, and shootings/homicides. It's such a normal occurrence there that media doesn't bother covering it, and if they do it will be a 5 second piece. "a man was shot in auburn today. And in other news blah blah blah."

Cops down there seriously have better things to do and they would probably like it if more responsible citizens were armed. Several bad neighborhoods around there.

She has since moved to the outskirts of Seattle in a much better neighborhood. I don't have to worry about parking my car/truck there and wonder if the windows will be smashed within a short period of time.

One of the stipulations of the preemptive law is local municipalities can make their buildings off limits.
So why don't you try being excellent to everyone.
Statements like "learn the law" aren't necessary. If you don't like the speculation move on....with your finger off the keys.
Hmmm ,maybe my list will be growing;)
The OP would be better served by learning the law and forming his opinion. If you prefer to live life and make life altering decisions based off conjecture then go for it. But consider doing it somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. There is absolutely no wording that says where a loaded handgun must be in you vehicle. It doesn't even say that it needs to be 'out of reach of the passenger' as many like to throw in.
And of course ,long guns can not be loaded in the vehicle in WA.

Exactly. There is absolutely no wording that says where a loaded handgun must be in you vehicle. It doesn't even say that it needs to be 'out of reach of the passenger' as many like to throw in.
"mjbskwim" sorry I deleted my first post as I screwed up the quotes. As you said, with a cpl you can carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle any way you want, doesn't have to be on your person and can be concealed from view. If you don't have a cpl you may carry unloaded handgun in a vehicle with no restrictions as you already know. Was just trying to correct inaccurate information in an earlier post.

Please refer to RCW 9.41.050, which is fairly specific:

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Please refer to RCW 9.41.050, which is fairly specific:

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

This one throws people all the time but you are reading the RCW wrong. The proper way to read it is as if there is an "or" between parts (i), (ii), and (iii). Basically, in layman's terms, the RCW is saying that to carry concealed and loaded in a vehicle, you must have a CPL, and satisfy with one of the three requirements. If you think about it, it's the only way to interpret the RCW as its impossible to satisfy all three.

Welcome !

Pro Tip:
You can confuse the locals by using the following pronunciation....
"Worshington"

And don't slip up on the state to the south....it's...
"Orygun"

There are many Indian names of places/towns that will take some study.
Especially in Worshington.

This one throws people all the time but you are reading the RCW wrong. The proper way to read it is as if there is an "or" between parts (i), (ii), and (iii). Basically, in layman's terms, the RCW is saying that to carry concealed and loaded in a vehicle, you must have a CPL, and satisfy with one of the three requirements. If you think about it, it's the only way to interpret the RCW as its impossible to satisfy all three.
No, I'm not reading it wrong, as I get that. My first post, I put in parenthesis (I simplify this) to encourage more research. If you leave the vehicle to, say pump some gas, you could be out of compliance if you don't take your loaded firearm with you. This was brought up when a child shot another with a loaded handgun left in a car not too long ago. Not quite the same, because the firearms owner was a police officer:

<broken link removed>

Another example from 2012 where a child shot himself with an unsecured firearm:

<broken link removed>

But, this all should probably be in it's own thread. My point is if someone has legal questions, an online forum posting is probably not the best way to get legal advice beyond general info which is what the OP requested and I provided. :) I am not trying to be a big Richard, just clarifying my intent. I respect all your opinions and enjoy reading your perspectives.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top