JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a few weeks away from moving to Washington State, I have a couple of basic legal questions I want to be clear on
1) I'm coming here from California, is there any requirement to register or report firearms your bringing into the state when you move?

2) secondly, what legal requirements is there when you want to sell firearms via a ppt? In California we have to go through a dealer.

Thanks for any info you can give?

How about Short Barrel Rifles/Shotguns?? That is the only part of WA firearm law I don't understand.. I heard that suppressors are now legal in WA, which is a step-forward.. Although with the latest slayings in Seattle, I am sure the anti-RKBA people will try to do what they can to attack what should be otherwise a state with liberal (non-restrictive) gun laws.

BTW.. I am moving to WA next week , so this post is just as much interest to me, although I have lived in the state in the past.

How about Short Barrel Rifles/Shotguns?? That is the only part of WA firearm law I don't understand.. I heard that suppressors are now legal in WA, which is a step-forward.. Although with the latest slayings in Seattle, I am sure the anti-RKBA people will try to do what they can to attack what should be otherwise a state with liberal (non-restrictive) gun laws.

BTW.. I am moving to WA next week , so this post is just as much interest to me, although I have lived in the state in the past.

Directly from the link above with all the WA laws,

RCW 9.41.220
Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.

All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

Silencers were never illegal in WA. There was poor wording in 9.41.250 that made it illegal to shoot with one on your firearm. The wording was changed last year.

I am a few weeks away from moving to Washington State, I have a couple of basic legal questions I want to be clear on
1) I'm coming here from California, is there any requirement to register or report firearms your bringing into the state when you move?

2) secondly, what legal requirements is there when you want to sell firearms via a ppt? In California we have to go through a dealer.

Thanks for any info you can give?

I second bookmark RCW 9.41, read it, and remember it. Unlicensed Loaded OC is legal, with some exceptions, and unlicensed CC is also legal in certain cases...read 9.41.050 (the prohibitions) and 9.41.060 (the exceptions) Memorize RCW 9.41.060(8) CPL is shall issue, $52.25 for 5 years, they have 30 days to get it to you. Most counties will get it to you much sooner than 30 days. Apply at your local sheriff, no proof of training required.

Face to face transfer of an legal firearm is legal with any person that is not "prohibited" by federal law. No legal requirement to check the person out. You ask the question, the other person answers..if you want to go beyond that for your own comfort...that is your problem not the law.

No registration, No mag restrictions, no "assault weapon" garbage...just be careful of the federally restricted stuff and you will do fine.

NO SBR, no SBS, very restricted on Full auto../( unlike what .220 appears to say, there a a few grandfathered (non-LEO/military) legal full auto in WA. Best to stay away as at the present moment they are not transferable under STATE law.

Besides the BS rules on SBR and SBS, I think WA has minimal gun restrictions and, I could say is, "gun friendly."

TO clarify the previous poster, he said anything that is not "illegal".. I wasn't sure if he meant in the WA state law or Federal Law.. Obviously, IMO, it is unconstitutional to ban SBR and SBS and these are legal in many other states, including Oregon. Fully auto is obviously a very tough issue and I cannot hold that against WA, but the fact that a liberal state like Oregon has no SBR/SBS restrictions, whereas Washington does, makes me think Oregon is a step ahead with their gun freedoms. I wanted to purchase an SBR, but didn't because I knew that I may have to live in Washington eventually, because of work and also the fact I really love the beauty of that state. Well, lo and behold, I am now moving to Washington, it's good thing I didn't buy an SBR which are so popular here in Idaho..

I will say I do love how easy it is to get an out-of-state permit for WA.. In Oregon it's nearly impossible, unless you want to take a trip to Grant County. I sure hope Oregon can do away with its unconstitutional laws on barring American citizens who reside outside of Oregon from their right to conceal a handgun. Despite having over 4 previous Oregon CHLs, I will have to unload my firearm and case it when travelling through Oregon on my next move, because I left the state and they deemed my CHL as now "INVALID". What a real pain!!

Besides the BS rules on SBR and SBS, I think WA has minimal low gun restrictions and, I could say is, "gun friendly."

TO clarify the previous poster, he said anything that is not "illegal".. I wasn't sure if he meant in the WA state law or Federal Law.. Obviously, IMO, it is unconstitutional to ban SBR and SBS and these are legal in many other states, including Oregon. Fully auto is obviously a very tough issue and I cannot hold that against WA, but the fact that a liberal state like Oregon has no SBR/SBS restrictions, whereas Washington does, makes me think Oregon is a step ahead with their gun freedoms. I wanted to purchase an SBR, but didn't because I knew that I may have to live in Washington eventually, because of work and also the fact I really love the beauty of that state. Well, lo and behold, I am now moving to Washington, it's good thing I didn't buy an SBR which are so popular here in Idaho..

I will say I do love how easy it is to get an out-of-state permit for WA.. In Oregon it's nearly impossible, unless you want to take a trip to Grant County. I sure hope Oregon can do away with its unconstitutional laws on barring American citizens who reside outside of Oregon from their right to conceal a handgun. Despite having over 4 previous Oregon CHLs, I will have to unload my firearm and case it when travelling through Oregon on my next move, because I left the state and they deemed my CHL as now "INVALID". What a real pain!!

SBR/SBS?full auto is a problem from 1994 a gov named Lowry and a state senator named Adam Smith, probably the two worst WA has ever had. Lowry is long gone, Smith is still around...when we get rid of him we can probably reverse the last of teh Lowry legacy,

I will say I do love how easy it is to get an out-of-state permit for WA.. In Oregon it's nearly impossible, unless you want to take a trip to Grant County. I
You need to stop saying untruths like this. Getting my Oregon permit was fairly easy and I went to Columbia County.

Untruths??? I've called county after county and all told me I don't have any special needs to have a permit in the state of Oregon. You would think a conservative county like Malheur next to Boise would issue me a permit. Nope! Even the previous county I had an out-of-state permit, Washington county, told me that they don't issue out-of-state permits anymore. When did you get this permit? Things seem to have change for the worse. I had an out-of-state permit a few years ago when I lived in Vancouver, WA area, but they got a new sheriff and he no longer issues permits to out-of-staters.

Anyway, if someone can compose a list of counties that issue to people out-of-state with minimal BS, I would like to know. As of now, I know only of Grant County, but I will make note of Columbia County. That is good to know.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top