JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello all.
I am new to Washington (from Atlanta).
Glad to find this site as I am missing all my gun buddies from back home.

a few questions:

1. Who has the best transfer fees in the Bellevue/Seattle area?
2. What is the typical protocol for private sales?
I know we have to do an FFL transfer but does the firearm stay at the shop for the 10 days?

Thank you for any info!

You moved here from Georgia, take me to your okra. LOL How I miss good ole fried okra and people up here have no idea what they're missing of the southern fried soul food cookin'. Welcome and hope you enjoy your time on the "left coast".

Welcome to WA. While we don't have an income tax, we do have one of the highest sales taxes in the nation, at least in King County, which is at 10%. Car tabs in King, Pierce and Snohomish counties are eye watering expensive. We also have one of the highest excise taxes on booze and tobacco in the nation as well. The city of Seattle even has a soda tax. I think I made my point on this issue lol.

Gun purchases if you haven't noticed already, are regulated with private sales, plus a waiting period for handguns and Semi automatic "assault" rifles. Waiting periods are 10 days, but does not include weekends etc., so it's more like two weeks. Transfer fees can vary from $25-50 depending on the shop and type of transfer activity. Machine guns and short barreled shotguns are not permitted in WA, so most here buy short barreled rifles and suppressors. Concealed Pistol Licenses (CPL) are not too hard to get and not too expensive, though WA does not require a permit to open carry, but open carry in a vehicle is considered a form of concealed carry in WA, so you might as well get a CPL as they are good for 5 years.

Again, welcome to WA. Stay sharp, shoot straight and always tell the truth.

Welcome to WA. While we don't have an income tax, we do have one of the highest sales taxes in the nation, at least in King County, which is at 10%. Car tabs in King, Pierce and Snohomish counties are eye watering expensive. We also have one of the highest excise taxes on booze and tobacco in the nation as well. The city of Seattle even has a soda tax. I think I made my point on this issue lol.

Gun purchases if you haven't noticed already, are regulated with private sales, plus a waiting period for handguns and Semi automatic "assault" rifles. Waiting periods are 10 days, but does not include weekends etc., so it's more like two weeks. Transfer fees can vary from $25-50 depending on the shop and type of transfer activity. Machine guns and short barreled shotguns are not permitted in WA, so most here buy short barreled rifles and suppressors. Concealed Pistol Licenses (CPL) are not too hard to get and not too expensive, though WA does not require a permit to open carry, but open carry in a vehicle is considered a form of concealed carry in WA, so you might as well get a CPL as they are good for 5 years.

Again, welcome to WA. Stay sharp, shoot straight and always tell the truth.

I thought 8.4% sales tax was bad. 10%, WOW!!! I'll never understand why the greater Seattle area insists on taxing the crap out of everyone who on paper doesn't appear to be able to afford it... *smh*

I thought 8.4% sales tax was bad. 10%, WOW!!! I'll never understand why the greater Seattle area insists on taxing the crap out of everyone who on paper doesn't appear to be able to afford it... *smh*
Because letting crackheads walk and giving them a free ride back to your nighborhood to roll you AGAIN don't pay for itself, don'chaknow...

Everything is 10% taxed. Kinda get used to it.
I'll stick with the 8.4% down here in Clark County, thank you, uh thank you very much. Lol

I always knew Seattle had some backwards stuff going on but I'm genuinely floored over this new realization. For major purchases down here we only need travel 20 minutes or so South to the land of sky high income taxes but no sales tax known as Portland. It comes in handy from time to time BUT their populace seem to keep moving up here in droves due to unsustainable living and people migrating in droves from California!!! *sigh* Rumor has it that they are mulling the idea of shutting down the border from WA and OR. Wonder what that'll end up being like? Heh

You're paying the use tax on those OR goods right? Use tax | Washington Department of Revenue

LOL

Be sure to pay cash when shopping in OR lest you leave breadcrumbs for the taxman.

I do everything I can to NOT shop in Oregon, tbh. Speculation on my part BUT Oregon is cognizant of how much money comes into their state from their "neighbors to the north", would they truly want to tip the scales out of their favor by going after salws tax evaders? The Dudley Do-Right of me says yes BUT the commonsense side of me says, probably not. Lol

I do everything I can to NOT shop in Oregon, tbh. Speculation on my part BUT Oregon is cognizant of how much money comes into their state from their "neighbors to the north", would they truly want to tip the scales out of their favor by going after salws tax evaders? The Dudley Do-Right of me says yes BUT the commonsense side of me says, probably not. Lol

It is your moral duty to shop in tax free havens without being caught. ;-) Just be aware of the gotcha WA law has in store if they find out.

Welcome to the Forum and the West Coast.
For a Washington resident purchasing from an Oregon Store or resident, Bolt Action rifles have no waiting period.
Semi-Autos, and Pistols have a 10 day wait plus any additional time to complete background check. Till the check and wait period is complete, the firearm remains with the seller. For instance if you bought from someone in Oregon, they would have to ship the firearm to a FFL of your choosing or drive up, present the firearm, drive back, wait till transfer clears, then return with the firearm.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top