JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

i have already intro myself on the other thread and i would love to hear from some ladies about what they like in a handgun, now i know everyone is diffrent and i have to try the gun in hand at range, i have some idea what i am thinking of and will be taking a course with a friend and the trainer said we would be shooting as part of the course.

i am sure that will help as well, just would like some feedback on the diffrent handguns to see what people on this list think

Lisa, Hamilton NJ

My first experience with the Ruger SP101 sold me on it. I have not (nor expect to) shoot .357 through it but for a revolver, it is a very comfortable choice.
I took my class using my husband's Ruger SR9C. I did not come out 'mastering' but I did pass! It was odd as neither the female instructor or her husband knew anything about this model. This is also a very comfortable one and for me, at least, much easier and more accurate than the revolver. Since then I have purchased a SIG P239; Ruger LC9 for carry, and my latest, the Kimber Pro Aegis 9mm.
I am looking forward to taking some more classes as I need to work on my stance; aim, etc. With my current aim, the LC9 is strictly for carry and really no fun at the range. The SIG is very comfortable in my hands and a very smooth shooter. The Kimber is the best in all areas - in the hand; accuracy; trigger-pull; kick. I have shot my husband's Kimber 1911 45 caliber and really enjoy it. That is what posed the question in my mind and prompted me to purchase my Kimber. Was it a Kimber I wanted or the 1911-style?
I hope that in your classes you have the opportunity to select a few different handguns to shoot. This will make it much easier to decide what you want. When you do find it you will know, as the gun will speak to you!
Have fun and be sure to let us know what comes of it!
Wifey

Thank you so much, all the models you spoke about are not even on my list, i have read a litte on the sig but not much, I am in NJ so I will NOT be able to carry and when i spoke to the traner about this he said it will never happen, that NJ will never allow people to carry. i have the bretta, Smith and wesson in mind, maybe the kel-tec as my friends husband got her one already but other people have said that it is a handgun very hard in hand and shooting at the Range, one time i went to a local store and asked them about 2 bretta's and a smith and wesson, all 3 were diffrent sizes, i was not crazy about the compact it seems small in my hands and i think the bigger one might have been a little big in my hands.
i have also read up on the glock and was told that is a really nice gun to shoot about i think that will be to big in my hand.

i am concerned about the kickback on any of the handguns i try,

i looked on line at the smith and wesson revolver bodyguard, do you know anything about any of the guns that i have written about

Lisa, Hamilton NJ

Wow, Lisa, I am impressed with the firearms knowledge you ALREADY have. Well done. The course you are about to take should be very illuminating as to what firearms actually feels good when shooting. One of the most important things you need to decide before buying a firearm is how you want to use it. Then you match up the qualities of the firearm with the intent. After your class, you will hopefully also know what caliber you like and what type of pistol (revolver vs. semi-auto).

I have found that everyone has a favorite firearm, and they are not all the same. So the best way is to actually try them out yourself. Many ranges will rent guns, so that you can really get a feel for the gun before purchasing. You can only go wrong if you buy a gun you don't like shooting, otherwise, trust your instincts.

As for Glocks, they come in different sizes, for example, the Glock 26 or "Baby Glock" which was created for female officers and their smaller hands. I find Glocks simple and fun to shoot and their popularity means it is easier to find accessories for them.

Good luck and have fun!

- LIA

Since you won't have to carry this gun with you anytime in the near future, I'd suggest going for a full size handgun. A full size gun will have more weight to it and less felt recoil than a small gun designed for concealed carry. If NJ laws change you can always buy something more suitable for carry (such as a short barreled revolver or compact semi auto). Also if this is going to be for home defense you might want to consider learning to shoot say a nice 20 ga shotgun, or a smaller rifle such as the M1 carbine in 30 carbine.
Start out with the handgun however since that's what you're interested in. Above all have fun learning to shoot and practicing at the range!

I too was concerned about recoil when I shot a 9mm handgun for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't bad at all. 9mm is very tame, in your class they'll teach you how to hold the gun properly/ along with proper stance, with the right technique even very large calibers can be shot without causing any harm to you. Remember to have a firm grip, but not a death grip.

Last Edited:

Thank you so much, all the models you spoke about are not even on my list, i have read a litte on the sig but not much, I am in NJ so I will NOT be able to carry and when i spoke to the traner about this he said it will never happen, that NJ will never allow people to carry. i have the bretta, Smith and wesson in mind, maybe the kel-tec as my friends husband got her one already but other people have said that it is a handgun very hard in hand and shooting at the Range, one time i went to a local store and asked them about 2 bretta's and a smith and wesson, all 3 were diffrent sizes, i was not crazy about the compact it seems small in my hands and i think the bigger one might have been a little big in my hands.
i have also read up on the glock and was told that is a really nice gun to shoot about i think that will be to big in my hand.

i looked on line at the smith and wesson revolver bodyguard, do you know anything about any of the guns that i have written about

Lisa, Hamilton NJ

It all depends on these:

What you want in a gun.

Whether you want it small and concealable in a pocket, purse, or some other enclosed space.

Whether you want something with alot of stopping power but small enough for you to handle.

If you want to customize it with laser sights, hi cap magazines, etc.

The cost on a gun youre willing to spend on.

The list goes on

It all depends on these:

What you want in a gun.

Whether you want it small and concealable in a pocket, purse, or some other enclosed space.

Whether you want something with alot of stopping power but small enough for you to handle.

If you want to customize it with laser sights, hi cap magazines, etc.

The cost on a gun youre willing to spend on.

The list goes on

In NJ you either have to be a crook or a politician to get a permit to carry...so the chances the young lady wishes to carry (at least in NJ) are slim. She could however get a Non-resident PA permit (inexpensive and easy to do) and conceal or open carry in PA with that, so concealed is not totally out of the question.

Lisa in NJ: Are you contemplating a PA license to carry?

I would like to thank everyone for your response, the one think i do not understand is the one post asked why i am on this list< well i can tell you i went to list that i could find and to learn and get diffrent responses, not to many as to much can be over the hill, I have someone who lives in Texas that has been great help to me, and what i have learned from talking to diffrent people and reading diffrent things on lists or on the internet is what i might be interested in, why type of hand gun, for example semi-auto and i will be using it for HOME DEFENSE AND RANGE so i need a handgun that is good for both the one thing i have not learned about is all the diffrent ammo, have no idea about the ammo, i guess in the beginning i will use the kind what they say goes with the gun.

i know that NJ doe not allow carry and the person that will be training me said it will never happen, i do not understand the Pa license to carry, if i live in NJ and i get pulled over and they for some reason see the gun not that i will have it out that is just stupid, it will go from my home to the range and back and again for home defense.

and i have to thank Lia, for saying how much i have learned about firearms, i have been researching for a number of months and i can't wait to take the course i think that is the first step and learn from that trainer, and also understand not to allow anyone try to direct me to a gun they like, sense i am the one that will be using it.

Lisa, hamilton NJ

Wow, Lisa, I am impressed with the firearms knowledge you ALREADY have. Well done. The course you are about to take should be very illuminating as to what firearms actually feels good when shooting. One of the most important things you need to decide before buying a firearm is how you want to use it. Then you match up the qualities of the firearm with the intent. After your class, you will hopefully also know what caliber you like and what type of pistol (revolver vs. semi-auto).

I have found that everyone has a favorite firearm, and they are not all the same. So the best way is to actually try them out yourself. Many ranges will rent guns, so that you can really get a feel for the gun before purchasing. You can only go wrong if you buy a gun you don't like shooting, otherwise, trust your instincts.

As for Glocks, they come in different sizes, for example, the Glock 26 or "Baby Glock" which was created for female officers and their smaller hands. I find Glocks simple and fun to shoot and their popularity means it is easier to find accessories for them.

Good luck and have fun!

- LIA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Lia:

Thank you so much for your post, i want to make sure you saw my post the one i wrote to everyone plus a direct post to you, telling me about the knowledge that i already have, which only tells me that I must be doing something right.

one person asked why i was even on this list, i do not understand why it manners where i am from, i might find people on this list that will tell me something i have not heard about, that will help me or not as i said everyone has their own thoughts and feelings.

I have some very close friends that are moving to NJ this month. New job offer and they were asking me the laws there and they are also new to firearms. Your location and post has been of interest to me.
THANKFULLY, you decided to come to this forum where there are others who are kind enough to guide you and give you excellent advice & opinions. Maybe in the future you could visit Oregon Firearms Academy for some excellent training (I've been told). Their reputation speaks to their quality!
Lots of helpful information...and some great gun deals too.
I would share my thoughts, but I don't want to come across as plugging myself for a gun sale. Hello and welcome:s0155:

I would like to thank everyone for your response, the one think i do not understand is the one post asked why i am on this list< well i can tell you i went to list that i could find and to learn and get diffrent responses, not to many as to much can be over the hill, I have someone who lives in Texas that has been great help to me, and what i have learned from talking to diffrent people and reading diffrent things on lists or on the internet is what i might be interested in, why type of hand gun, for example semi-auto and i will be using it for HOME DEFENSE AND RANGE so i need a handgun that is good for both the one thing i have not learned about is all the diffrent ammo, have no idea about the ammo, i guess in the beginning i will use the kind what they say goes with the gun.

i know that NJ doe not allow carry and the person that will be training me said it will never happen, i do not understand the Pa license to carry, if i live in NJ and i get pulled over and they for some reason see the gun not that i will have it out that is just stupid, it will go from my home to the range and back and again for home defense.

and i have to thank Lia, for saying how much i have learned about firearms, i have been researching for a number of months and i can't wait to take the course i think that is the first step and learn from that trainer, and also understand not to allow anyone try to direct me to a gun they like, sense i am the one that will be using it.

Lisa, hamilton NJ

Hej Lisa! A PA Non-resident permit would not help you in NJ, but it will help you in some other states should you travel. Information at Handgunlaw.us Gary trys very hard to give accurate and complete information,

Unfortunately, until the Supreme Court of the US does the right thing, I am afraid your instructor is correct on carry in NJ (Unless you want to become a politician). They were the first to get really restrictive, and they will probably be the last to loosen the restrictions...forced to by the US Supreme Court...and they will be kicking and screaming like a little kid having a temper tantrum. BTW, get rid of that guy Lauterberg please...he is a collective pain in all gun owners behinds.

I would not take it that you are trying to sale a gun, i have someone in Texas who gave me a really good website, and their prices are a little over $100.00 cheaper then here by me, do you know where in NJ your friends are moving too? maybe it is near me as you said my location is of interest to you? which makes me think they are moving in my area? I am in Mercer county, you also have middlesex county, Monmouth county, burlington county, somerset, hunterton county, these all countys that i would say are in my area

i would be glad to give you my e-mail as well if you would like, you can e-mail ,me private if you would like

Lisa- Hamilton Nj, Mercer county

Lisa, I have taken a couple of classes and, like you, am in the market for a new gun and wasn't sure what to get. I had pretty much narrowed it down to a Glock 9mm or the Glock .40. So I went down to an indoor gun range near me and rented both of them. It was only $10 to rent a weapon and they had the ammo for sale there. It became real easy to narrow it down. I settled on the 9mm. They offer several different models of 9mm, so that is what I'm researching now. I currently have a .38 Taurus revolver that I really dislike. The trigger has too long of a pull and it only holds 5 rounds (I always keep one chamber empty, so that means I only have 4 rounds for self-defense).

So I guess my question to you is this: Do you have any indoor ranges nearby you? That is what I recommend you do. Now, here in SoCal, they won't let you rent a gun by yourself (suicide risk), so I had to take someone with me.

BTW, I took the beginning class twice, because I still didn't feel comfortable with the weapon in my hand. And I had grown up with guns in the house and always had one. Kinda scary when you think about it.

I also have an old .22 pistol that I absolutely love and until I get my Glock, it is my go-to for home protection because I am pretty accurate with it and it holds 11 rounds. If I can't kick the intruder's *** after filling him with 10-11 bullets, I've got some problems :) I also feel that 90% of burglars and worse are going to take off as soon as they see a gun or the first shot is fired. They prefer unarmed victims.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

edit: looks like you have a couple of ranges nearby in Southampton, PA and Bensalem, PA. Also one in Lakewood Township, NJ. This looks like the best one, though, IMO Hague's Indoor Range

i have already intro myself on the other thread and i would love to hear from some ladies about what they like in a handgun, now i know everyone is diffrent and i have to try the gun in hand at range, i have some idea what i am thinking of and will be taking a course with a friend and the trainer said we would be shooting as part of the course.

i am sure that will help as well, just would like some feedback on the diffrent handguns to see what people on this list think

Lisa, Hamilton NJ

Lisa, Hamilton NJ

Lisa:

You are in NJ, so concealed carry may not be an option for you depending on the town you live in. I just moved here 18 months ago from Mass., so I feel your pain.

I teach defensive firearms for a living and have had dozens of women through my classes. I hop my opinionion will be of help, since my wife (who teaches with me) is asleep at the moment.

The reason you like the Kimber is the 1911 style. This is very common among women (and men) because the grip feels "natural" in your hand. I'm guessing you have mid-range sized hands.

You mentioned the Sig P-239, which happens to be the most popular gun among my female students. They can also be had for $450-500 on gunbroker, which any any reputable gun shop can navigate for you. I would recommend you put a hogue rubber grip on it when you get it.

You said the LC9 was no fun, I am guessing you meant perceived recoil. This is because of the weight of the gun and nothing else. The lighter the gun, the more the recoil will be. I have a Taurus TCP (Copy of the Ruger LCP, only better trigger and sights) in .380, and that sucker hurts MY hand after less than 50 rounds.

As a new shooter and someone very unlikely to carry, I'm going to come down on the side of having only three guns, which from your descriptions, will not be an issue for you financially.

1. Sig P239.
2. Winchester 1300 12-gague shotgun
3. Ruger 10/22 .22 rifle

For home defense, a pistol is ideal if you have to make any movement at all from your bedroom, like getting Junior out of his bed and back to the safe room.

A shotgun is ideal and easy to learn and to shoot for when everyone is in the safe-room.

And for under $200 you can't go wrong with a ruger 10/22 to learn how to shoot a rifle well and have a blast doing it.

I've never had a shooter who actively disliked the P-239. I've had a ton who absolutely loved it. I've also never had even the smallest-handed of women have any trouble with the grip size or length of pull. This is why I recommend it.

But if you already HAVE a Kimber, I'd stick with that. They are in general very good guns, and the 1911 platform is something that most shooters love and find "natural" to their hands.

I recommend the Winchester because it's a bullet-proof pump-action shotgun that's fairly heavy, meaning less recoil for you.

Best of luck,

Bill

Thanks for replying, i know of the Bensalem PA, Range which is right over the bridge in my area into PA, not far from me, my neigbor and I are going to take a class from this guy in East windsor and he said that he would have us shooting as well, but my friend who lives next door her husband has guns and he already got her a kel-tec and it is really small i held it before my friend as she is really uneasy and that is why i said we can take a class together and she will have her husband take her to the Range that i am talking about and hoping that i can go as well, but he did say that 2 people can go in one range however pay the same price for one person which is $20.00 and that is not a problem if i can get my friends husband help me as well, now he has a S&W 9MM and I also held that one and realized something and asked him and his son if that handgun was for a Right handed person or left, and that is when he realized that when i was holding it in my left hand the part where the shells would fly out would hit me because i was holding it in my left hand as his handgun was for a right handed person.

i will have to make sure that i ask the trainer that we will go to about the diffrence between the two as i can use both left and right, however i had a bad injury to my left hand which in some cases my right hand is stronger but now when i was holding the full size S&W In both hands, first my left hand as if though i was shooting with the left and then changed it over to the right and did find a much diffrence in the two, so i am guessing that it might be best to get a left handed one, if i understand corrctly you can get a handgun where you can use either hand??? please correct me if wrong and explain how one would do that.

Lisa

Thanks for replying, i know of the Bensalem PA, Range which is right over the bridge in my area into PA, not far from me, my neigbor and I are going to take a class from this guy in East windsor and he said that he would have us shooting as well, but my friend who lives next door her husband has guns and he already got her a kel-tec and it is really small i held it before my friend as she is really uneasy and that is why i said we can take a class together and she will have her husband take her to the Range that i am talking about and hoping that i can go as well, but he did say that 2 people can go in one range however pay the same price for one person which is $20.00 and that is not a problem if i can get my friends husband help me as well, now he has a S&W 9MM and I also held that one and realized something and asked him and his son if that handgun was for a Right handed person or left, and that is when he realized that when i was holding it in my left hand the part where the shells would fly out would hit me because i was holding it in my left hand as his handgun was for a right handed person.

i will have to make sure that i ask the trainer that we will go to about the diffrence between the two as i can use both left and right, however i had a bad injury to my left hand which in some cases my right hand is stronger but now when i was holding the full size S&W In both hands, first my left hand as if though i was shooting with the left and then changed it over to the right and did find a much diffrence in the two, so i am guessing that it might be best to get a left handed one, if i understand corrctly you can get a handgun where you can use either hand??? please correct me if wrong and explain how one would do that.

Lisa

Hej Lisa!

The key to shooting well is if you are Righte EYED or left EYED...which EYE is dominent is what really matters. Make liike you are pointing at something with your index finger (try this with both hands) look at the object with both eyes open, then close (or cover) the right eye and leave the left open, then close (or cover) the left eye and leave the right eye open.

You will see a shift in your point of aim with one of the eyes, but not with the other. The eye with no shift is your dominent eye, that is the eye you want to use to sight the weapon with. Use the corresponding hand to control the trigger.

You will hear people tell you to shoot with both eyes open. If you do this, and wish to do precission shooting, cover the off eye with a patch. If you wear glasses, remember, your glasses are cut so theat you maximum range of vision is in the center of the lense...that is the part of the lens you want to be looking through even though you may have to put a pad under your nose piece when you shoot.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews