JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,
I have a quick question about the future of AR-15's and other "assault rifle" types. I'm a little worried about being able to buy one in the future with the new President, yet I'm 23 can't afford one at the moment. I was thinking about buying just the lower (or is it the upper?) and that way I technically own an AR-15 and probably still buy the rest to build it legally even they became banned.

Am I being overly paranoid about this, and if I'm not do you see any reason why this wouldn't work?

You're thinking of the lower - that's the part that's registered as the weapon.

Uppers usually get cool restrictions, like in california, the barrel has to be something like five feet long so you can't conceal it *(slight exageration). And they can't have bayonet lugs on 'em. (though I don't know many who have bayonets...)

So your plan would work, but if you want a 16" barrel and don't want the 24" (right, it was 24"?) rule to come back into effect, might want to consider just doing it right and getting the whole thing.

There are a few AR's floating around for sale on the forum.

Paranoid? Well, let's put it this way: My understanding is that the new attorney General on the new administration's cabinet was part of the crew that put the Brady Bill into effect back in the Clinton administration. The new CINC comes from Chicago, one of the few municipalities that banned handguns altogether... Get my drift?

Now of course it will take a while for all of this to be put together, but if you see prices for new go back down to $900 - just pony up and get a good brand that you like. I'm guessing this will happen in 6 months, then we'll start to see serious looks at anti-gun legislation.

Better yet, buy a used one private party.

I used the election results as my justification for getting my Bushmaster ;-)

They're darn fun too.

Paranoid? Well, let's put it this way: My understanding is that the new attorney General on the new administration's cabinet was part of the crew that put the Brady Bill into effect back in the Clinton administration. The new CINC comes from Chicago, one of the few municipalities that banned handguns altogether... Get my drift?

Wow, I can't say that I'm Democrat or Republican, but the democrats would do much better if they would just leave guns alone. I highly doubt they would lose many votes if they just left the regulations on firearms as is. Seriously, not that many people really care if the gun laws stay the same, its just a vocal minority that Democrats think they need to play into for votes.

Well anyway, tax returns are around the corner but I'm thinking it would be a better idea to get a handgun for self defense purposes first.

It will be a little while before any serious legislation actually gets passed. There are plenty who remember the Klinton AWB and they're ready for the same garbage from this administration. Nevertheless, I can't see any harm in getting one NOW.

It's not what they say that counts, it's how they vote. Look at obama's record, far, far, left, like moveon.org , code pink, ect. They want your AR'S and hand guns. Buy now if you can. :s0159:

If all that happens is a ban on future sales, I would be surprised. The Peoples' Republic of Kalifornia told everyone they could keep their "assault" rifles as long as they were registered. Later they knew exactly where and who to go pick them up from. I'm not saying that is going to happen, but it could.......

Wow, I can't say that I'm Democrat or Republican, but the democrats would do much better if they would just leave guns alone. I highly doubt they would lose many votes if they just left the regulations on firearms as is. Seriously, not that many people really care if the gun laws stay the same, its just a vocal minority that Democrats think they need to play into for votes.

Well anyway, tax returns are around the corner but I'm thinking it would be a better idea to get a handgun for self defense purposes first.

This leads to an interesting point - I wish I knew if this was true, but Bill Clinton was reported saying something to the effect of: "Don't get on the bad side of the NRA (gunowners?), that's how you lose popularity"

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top