JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Check ebay for manuals, lyman, Hornady, Lee there are others that are good too.
The Lyman is probably the best first manual.

In tihis drought of reloading material you take what you can get.
Your first purchace should be primers if you can find them and be prepared to spend $125 or more for a $39.99 box of 1,000 primers.
Second purchace bullets for the calibers you will be loading for, they are hit & miss.
Your powder choice will revolve around the weigjt & grain of bullet you buy.
You can get powder on the reloading clasified section of the three semi.local gun forums.
When starting to reload it would help to tie in with some one local to you and visit them for a few sessions of reloading. .
I have a lee and a lyman right now. I have brass no powder or primers. I was hoping to get lucky and catch an in stock notification at midway or nachez and score a halfway decent price on em. Probably not going to happen. I'm hoping I can link up with someone whose set up and do that. Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the advice!

Last Edited:
I think I like the current Hornady manual best, although I own all of the available manuals.

The online Hodgdon Load Data is good (and free).
The online Nosler Load Data is especially good because :
1) They show most accurate load in the group.
2) They show percentage of case filled.
A very important piece of data that not many of the other manuals mention.
Thank you for that. That will be another useful source to refer to.

I just recently purchased a lee precision reloading kit. I am trying to gather supplies before I get started (without much luck) Anyhow, I was wondering if there is a good powder I can begin with for .40 SW and .357 sig just to have around to get me started? I was also wondering the same for .458 socom? I got a ton of reading to do but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
First: RTFM
Second: For the first few years, do what it says and nothing more.
Next: ignore advice from keyboard commandos

I have five (along with tables taken from various books and articles for specific cartridges not generally in popular use) and use all five. An Accurate book, Speer, Hornady, Lee, and an old Lyman cast bullet manual that is invaluable for many old cartridges. I've also several specific books regarding the reloading process from equipment selection through the entire preparation and loading process. I've been reloading now for 46 years and there is always something new to learn, technique to perfect, or widget to buy.

It's also good to remember that every cartridge loaded has the ability to be a little tiny bomb if appropriate attention isn't given to the process, and equally dangerous if a squib load. Attention to detail is critical.
Still getting familiar with the terminology but a squib load sounds like a bad thing. Thank you for the heads up!

Great feedback here from everyone, much appreciated. I bought a complete reloading setup about a year ago and it's still in the box! Once I get my shop organized, setting that up is high on the list. Thank you all.

I will GIVE you 50 primed .40 cases, 25 150 gr JHP, 25 180 JHP and the remains of an old canister of Unique. There should be plenty to load the 50 rounds. There is a catch; You have to come over here, I can meet you in Cle Elum. I don't want money, just come get them.

I will GIVE you 50 primed .40 cases, 25 150 gr JHP, 25 180 JHP and the remains of an old canister of Unique. There should be plenty to load the 50 rounds. There is a catch; You have to come over here, I can meet you in Cle Elum. I don't want money, just come get them.
Right on brother. That is much appreciated. I'll send you a pm to hash out further.

Wow, thanks guys. I was sort of figuring that things more or less revolved around the powder. I apologize for asking these questions without having done a bit more due diligence. I just feel it's first hand advice and experience from loaders such as yourselves that is just as if not more valuable than book work.
Like now when powders get hard to find, I make a note and put it in my wallet so that when I see something that's available I can check my list for need. You can also put notes in your phone. The 3 powders that all work well in both 357 sig and 40 cal are HS6, Universal, and longshot. There are others but you will find lots of published data for those three. That way when you are out somewhere and see something you have your notes to back your memory up! As you are just starting out I would not substitute! DR

Next: ignore advice from keyboard commandos

I take exception to that.

How about.. Always consult published load data. instead?

ROAD TRIP!!!

If you got the time, make it a 2-dayer. Drive straight through to your meet and then drive part way back, scenic route, and get a cheap motel for the night. Dinner, breakfast and a leisurely drive home.

Last Edited:
Like now when powders get hard to find, I make a note and put it in my wallet so that when I see something that's available I can check my list for need. You can also put notes in your phone. The 3 powders that all work well in both 357 sig and 40 cal are HS6, Universal, and longshot. There are others but you will find lots of published data for those three. That way when you are out somewhere and see something you have your notes to back your memory up! As you are just starting out I would not substitute! DR
That is a great idea. Easy to do as well. Thanks for that and more info on .357 sig powders. I'll keep those in mind for a list.

I take exception to that.

How about.. Always consult published load data. instead?

ROAD TRIP!!!

If you got the time, make it a 2-dayer. Drive straight through to your meet and then drive part way back, scenic route, and get a cheap motel for the night. Dinner, breakfast and a leisurely drive home.
Scenic route, most definitely. Maybe a granola bar along the way..gotta save the rest for more supplies! :s0114:

Check ebay for manuals, lyman, Hornady, Lee there are others that are good too.
The Lyman is probably the best first manual.

In tihis drought of reloading material you take what you can get.
Your first purchace should be primers if you can find them and be prepared to spend $125 or more for a $39.99 box of 1,000 primers.
Second purchace bullets for the calibers you will be loading for, they are hit & miss.
Your powder choice will revolve around the weigjt & grain of bullet you buy.
You can get powder on the reloading clasified section of the three semi.local gun forums.
When starting to reload it would help to tie in with some one local to you and visit them for a few sessions of reloading. .
Most brands have reloading data available online

Hodgdon also will have limited data right on label. But for powder, I would search smaller LGS somewhere outside urban areas. For Tukwila, you could check Maple Valley, Enumclaw, etc. You could also start looking for LGS east of the Cascades when traveling to Enumclaw. Also, check remote hardware stores like ACE Hardware as many will sell ammo, hunting/fishing licenses, etc.

And don't pass on powder because you've found only one of your caliber that uses it. It will allow you to get started reloading sooner and you can add other calibers as you find additional powders.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top