JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
respect your opinion and agree to some of your opinion.
imho, a "new" reloader should at least learn the basics of reloading from a reputable reloading manual. they are consistently compatible. i have been reloading for over 50 years. nothing i have seen on youtube has happened to me.
Ditto this - minus about 6 years on the reloading time!

The problem with the the internet it is it would be very difficult for a new loader to separate fact from fiction with a LOT of the reloading videos.

Many I have seen are not really 'instructional' in the former sense of the word and are little more that someone showing what THEY are doing and how THEY are going about it which is not a very good way to learn.

Even some of the better, instructional videos leave a lot of 'gaps' in the information and unless one had a good handle on the basics (such as from the well known and respected manuals and books) they may miss something very important.

Last Edited:
I just recently purchased a lee precision reloading kit. I am trying to gather supplies before I get started (without much luck) Anyhow, I was wondering if there is a good powder I can begin with for .40 SW and .357 sig just to have around to get me started? I was also wondering the same for .458 socom? I got a ton of reading to do but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I didn't read through all the posts, but I'll tell you the best way to find a powder for your .40
Use this chart... http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2016/01/updated-hodgdon-and-imr-relative-burn-rate-chart/ And your Reloading Manual(s). Powders near the burn rate of powders listed in your manuals would most likely be appropriate. even if they weren't listed in your manual. Then you look up the data from the powder manufacturer for your caliber and bullet weight.

You've got a tough row to hoe, finding powder .

Last Edited:
Regarding learning from the internet.....

I'm a total newb to reloading and have learned a ton more than any basic reloading manual will dive into with the basic steps. The basic steps are the foundation, but leave a lot of questions...

There is a lot of bad advice out there no doubt, but I would not assume the new reloader doesn't have the capability to discern the good from bad. Like any subject, I have my own way of vetting good internet instruction from the bad. Its time consuming in some ways, but without the internet it would be even way more time consuming to learn, drive to a book store to by a book and at best word of mouth from just one person here and there. If your lucky you have a mentor, but you learn only what your mentor knows...

One thing Ive learned (again, with any subject) is if its good or true advice it can be validated from another completely different source (ideally 3 sources). There are plenty of professional and pro shooting blogs, forums, youtube channels out there to validate reloading methods with. Reloading manufacturers all have a learning sections and youtube channels. Pro shooters often have blogs or youtube channels. Webstores like MidwayUSA and Brownells have channels.

IMHO.....Unique is like a swiss army knife for pistol reloading. Plenty of different cartridges use it. But.....some complain that it's "dirty" and some complain that there are "better choices" for whatever reason(s).

Yeah.....it's not like you can please all of the people, all of the time.

Aloha, Mark
unique is a really dirty powder. it is one of "those" powders the old timers used. meters like crap, it's flakey, and should be cancelled from any modern youtube video as useless and enviromently unsafe. i am a disposer of unique powder. if you have some that needs to be disposed of, pm me. i'm so green i'll pay you to ship it to me. forget everything your reloading manuals say. i'll safely take it off your hands, legally.

unique is a really dirty powder. it is one of "those" powders the old timers used. meters like crap, it's flakey, and should be cancelled from any modern youtube video as useless and enviromently unsafe. i am a disposer of unique powder. if you have some that needs to be disposed of, pm me. i'm so green i'll pay you to ship it to me. forget everything your reloading manuals say. i'll safely take it off your hands, legally.
Sprinkle it out in the garden.
Good for the soil.

:)

I'm a total newb to reloading and have learned a ton more than any basic reloading manual will dive into with the basic steps. The basic steps are the foundation, but leave a lot of questions...

There is a lot of bad advice out there no doubt, but I would not assume the new reloader doesn't have the capability to discern the good from bad. Like any subject, I have my own way of vetting good internet instruction from the bad. Its time consuming in some ways, but without the internet it would be even way more time consuming to learn, drive to a book store to by a book and at best word of mouth from just one person here and there. If your lucky you have a mentor, but you learn only what your mentor knows...

One thing Ive learned (again, with any subject) is if its good or true advice it can be validated from another completely different source (ideally 3 sources). There are plenty of professional and pro shooting blogs, forums, youtube channels out there to validate reloading methods with. Reloading manufacturers all have a learning sections and youtube channels. Pro shooters often have blogs or youtube channels. Webstores like MidwayUSA and Brownells have channels.
[/do what you want,

You can't have mine I'm not done with it yet:s0112:.

Yeah, components are an issue. Brass seems to be there as well as bullets..maybe? Powder seems somewhat available but limited. It's primers that are a thorn in my side. At least, without paying a price that defeats the purpose of loading to begin with. Even still, seems better than the current price gouging on factory ammunition. Sorry for the rant!

I didn't read through all the posts, but I'll tell you the best way to find a powder for your .40
Use this chart... http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2016/01/updated-hodgdon-and-imr-relative-burn-rate-chart/ And your Reloading Manual(s). Powders near the burn rate of powders listed in your manuals would most likely be appropriate. even if they weren't listed in your manual. Then you look up the data from the powder manufacturer for your caliber and bullet weight.

You've got a tough row to hoe, finding powder .
Thank you for the source. Much appreciated.

There's lots of good advice above, I second getting at least one reloading manual and also using the list that Mikej linked to pick from powders if the one you want is not available. I'm surprised no one has linked this yet:
From there you select your cartridge and bullet weight(s), and you get some recommended loads. I've used this website often, along with a Hornady and a Lyman manual.

This was very insightful. Thank you for the perspective.

Check ebay for manuals, lyman, Hornady, Lee there are others that are good too.
The Lyman is probably the best first manual.

In tihis drought of reloading material you take what you can get.
Your first purchace should be primers if you can find them and be prepared to spend $125 or more for a $39.99 box of 1,000 primers.
Second purchace bullets for the calibers you will be loading for, they are hit & miss.
Your powder choice will revolve around the weigjt & grain of bullet you buy.
You can get powder on the reloading clasified section of the three semi.local gun forums.
When starting to reload it would help to tie in with some one local to you and visit them for a few sessions of reloading. .

I think I like the current Hornady manual best, although I own all of the available manuals.

The online Hodgdon Load Data is good (and free).
The online Nosler Load Data is especially good because :
1) They show most accurate load in the group.
2) They show percentage of case filled.
A very important piece of data that not many of the other manuals mention.

I suggest get a good reloading manual and read it - read it and read it then read it again.

I have five (along with tables taken from various books and articles for specific cartridges not generally in popular use) and use all five. An Accurate book, Speer, Hornady, Lee, and an old Lyman cast bullet manual that is invaluable for many old cartridges. I've also several specific books regarding the reloading process from equipment selection through the entire preparation and loading process. I've been reloading now for 46 years and there is always something new to learn, technique to perfect, or widget to buy.

It's also good to remember that every cartridge loaded has the ability to be a little tiny bomb if appropriate attention isn't given to the process, and equally dangerous if a squib load. Attention to detail is critical.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top