JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I've been a member here for a while, although not super active. I recently moved to Springfield from Grants Pass for work, and would like to meet some like-minded folks to shoot with. I'm a Christian currently attending First Baptist Church of Eugene, married, have two children ages 10 and 12, and I'm an electrician by trade.

I don't even know where the best places are to shoot here, but I'm more of a public land shooter than a range guy, and would like to find a place relatively close.

Looking forward to meeting some of you!
Matt

Blessings on you Brother... I have friends in that Fellowship, but I attend else where.... I live North & WET of you, err West, there is good shooting up past Crow, but its kind of hard to describe how to Find it... Crow is to your West and a bit South, not a far drive, pleasent. The area is a "please clean up" sort of thing, though thems that shoot & drink must not get that memo.

Need further instructions, PM me...

philip,
Living for the Lord, in the BoonDocks

Look up Izaak Walton range, it's only about 12 miles out of eugene, there is 5 pistol shooting areas and then a rifle range, they do different shoots on Saturdays. It's about 10 bucks a month. Nice scenery, deer seem to know we can't shoot them and graze in the rifle range.

Perfect description!

Look up Izaak Walton range, it's only about 12 miles out of eugene, there is 5 pistol shooting areas and then a rifle range, they do different shoots on Saturdays. It's about 10 bucks a month. Nice scenery, deer seem to know we can't shoot them and graze in the rifle range.

I used to live in southern Oregon myself. Like you, I'm not to much of a range guy. Just don't like being treated like I'm 12 years old. Thanks to Matt at Steelhorse targets I have what can be described as a portable shooting range, so when the nooks stop running, I'd be glad to get together and go make some steel clang. :s0155:

Look up Izaak Walton range, it's only about 12 miles out of eugene......................... deer seem to know we can't shoot them and graze in the rifle range.

They must not have the History Channel in their satellite TV package. If they do then they must have missed "Chasing Tail". :s0114:

Razor, and others.... I have heard about the I W range, can you all share More about it, like what is a normal day of (# of) shooters on a typical day, Morale of hooters sharing lanes, if needed, etc.

To be honest, I have been to only Two Ranges in my life time (50+) years of shooting:

The US ARMY's (BAG there;) ... ) and the Florence Area shooting range, went once, with a member, never went back... Could not stand the ehhh, attitude & mannerisms of member shooters.

I started shooting on my "sort of Uncle's" Huge Farm, even his dairy cattle did not know we were in the area !!!!!

The Crow area I spoke of, I have been there enough times to see varied levels of manners, & know if they ask for "privacy," that I can drive another half mile, MAX, and be free and clear to shoot, know my back stop and KNOW that I am not in someone else's Backstop.

Multiple shooting Parties from different groups... Easily polite "range control" by every group I have seen, we all run out of ammo, and "Need to Go Down Range" or "All Clear" is understood.

Thanks in advance for responding,

philip

And he needs a safe shooting spot, off HWY 36, if anyone knows of one, I mstly shot revolver, so clean brass there, and my PTR-91 well, I will try for 19 out of 20 cartridges, if you know what its lke to search for #20 !!!!!

PM me, and THANKS!

They do also for like 25 bucks extra a year give you a key o the shed which has every kind of steel target you want, I tend to go out there thurs and Sunday. Last Sunday no one in the pistol bays between 3 to 6, I did hear some one at the rifle range. Seriously no one is ever there. I went the thurs before with my 10 year old daughter, we shot near 1000 rounds, while my wife sat and tanned reading a book, once again sounded like 1 person was at the rifle range. I think you could look up eugene practical shooters, and get some info and contact number.

I am a member of IW and do have a key to the "shed". The shed belongs to the Eugene Practical Shooters (EPS) they have meets (IDPA and others) every Saturday Morning for the first 3 Saturdays I think they start around 8 am and then the 4 Saturday is a clean up. I joined EPS to have access to the steel targets. If I remember right the rifle range is closed during the pistol shoots because the 5 bay points towards the end of the rifle range. The guys I've met there I have seen before with the EPS all very nice guys. Yeah some of the rules seem over strict, but everyone that joins doesn't always follow the rules when it's the honor system. I believe the "club" meets every 4th Tuesday at EWEB.

Being you're in Springfield I'm surprised nobody mentioned Emerald Empire or the public lands in the hills past it, in the Mohawk area just out of Springfield.

I just moved from Springfield. I used to like to drive up there (past EEGC) to one certain spot where you can set up a folding table and shoot out to 100 yards. It gets pretty busy on weekends when the weather is nice so I tried to go "off hours"- weekdays or early Saturday. It's a great place to shoot when the hills aren't crowded.

I've been told that some disreputable types go up there and it can be scary at times, but I never saw that myself. It tends to get trashed up there, so I usually take a trash bag to try to leave it a little cleaner than when I got there.

I'm having a bit of a hard time getting my head around that. Aren't you armed when you go up there? :confused: :s0114:

Just because one is armed, does not equate that one could be

1. Out Numbered

2. Out gunned ie. full auto versus self loaders

3. Responsible thinker, armed conflicts are bad for our image, as well as un-healthy & leads to legal issues for hy was there a shoot out????

4. No reason to argue with say Drinking and shooting, I would just pack up, go else where, or Home.

Just the thoughts off the top of my head...

philip,

In the sunshinng Boon Docks of Oregon

I used to go out there until a logging truck plowed me off the road, nice out there. Turn left about half mile past the bird house house, really about 100 bird houses

I saw Territorial and got Real excited..... And then I saw "Lorane hwy" and thought, Oh, the South end of the County Territorial Road :( but that there might be just a bit closer than Crow, where I was going to send him !!!!!

philip
In the North End of our County, in the BoonDocks....

Just because one is armed, does not equate that one could be

1. Out Numbered

2. Out gunned ie. full auto versus self loaders

3. Responsible thinker, armed conflicts are bad for our image, as well as un-healthy & leads to legal issues for hy was there a shoot out????

4. No reason to argue with say Drinking and shooting, I would just pack up, go else where, or Home.

Just the thoughts off the top of my head...

philip,

In the sunshinng Boon Docks of Oregon

I was being sarcastic. But with that kind of thinking why is there anyone but bad guys still in places like, say, Chicago?

Since we're on the subject, I don't go out of my way to get into a conflict. Armed or not. On the other hand I don't worry to much about running into "scary" guys out in the woods. Odds are they want to avoid confrontation as much as me. Especially an armed confrontation. And it's been said several times that when the wife and I go out shooting we leave the house better armed than many third world countries.

I'm not going to let a very, very remote possibility a confrontation occurring influence me being in the woods or not. If I did then I'd be to scared to get out of bed in the morning. On the other hand if it happens then I'm prepared. I've been in firefights before.

More often than not we've met folks who are just the opposite. Folks just like us who are out enjoying whats left of our freedoms. In short, when we arrived we were strangers. But when we left we had new friends.

When was the last time a "gunfight in the woods" was in the news? Besides Ruby Ridge, I can't think of one off the top of my head.

I'm having a bit of a hard time getting my head around that. Aren't you armed when you go up there? :confused: :s0114:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I've been up there many, many times and never had a problem, but I've had other people tell me that they never go up there because of stuff they've heard or read over the years. Supposedly a lot of druggies go up there to do whatever they do. Local kids and idiots go there to party, drink, wreck their trucks and die. There have been plenty of accidents on that narrow road (mostly at night involving alcohol), and several murders over the years (mostly involving drugs and lowlifes, apparently). And then there are those who are not safety-conscious in the slightest, and don't know what a backstop is.

Personally I think so long as you're not involved in that kind of activity, you're probably pretty safe up there. I've spent a ton of time there in the last decade and never worried about it.

It's common courtesy that if someone is in a shooting spot first, you drive by and find another, but sometimes if every place is full up I'll stop and carefully ask if they mind company. I've never had anyone say no, but I am pretty careful who I ask. I've also never said no to someone else who asks me if there's room for them to shoot. I've met a lot of good folks that way.

I just moved from Springfield. I used to like to drive up there (past EEGC) to one certain spot where you can set up a folding table and shoot out to 100 yards. It gets pretty busy on weekends when the weather is nice so I tried to go "off hours"- weekdays or early Saturday. It's a great place to shoot when the hills aren't crowded.

That was the first place I looked for a shooting location, and all I saw was a lot of "NO TRESSPASSING, NO SHOOTING" signs that had been placed there by Weyerhauser Corp. Now I've only been up there the one time, and may not have taken the right fork, so if you can help direct me to the place you're speaking of that would be great!

Thanks.
Matt

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top