JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got my first SKS (Norinco). It's pretty much stock. I've looked at a number of sites dedicated to SKS and AK rifles. Some pretty neat mods out there. But, functionally, what are some "must do's"? I'm looking at some of the Tapco compliance kits (922r is a joke, btw!). In addition to cosmetics, though, what should be done/looked at in terms of the action and mechanics? Keeping in mind, of course, I have no intentions of spending $1000 on mods for a $300 gun - I would have done an AR for that kind of coin.

Thanks.

Functionally, there are no must do's. It will work fine as it is. But, it will never be a precision rifle regardless of what you do with it. Many folks have chased this phantom already. One word of caution. It is best to non-permanently modify your rifle, and you should keep all original parts for later resale. Your tastes might not be another's when you try to sell this rifle down the road, and your list of potential buyers will be drastically reduced if it can't be converted to original configuration.

Safetywise, make sure the firing pin rattles inside the bolt when shaken; otherwise you should disassemble it to clean it. http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/boltdisassemble/hs.asp

A Tech Sight is probably a good modification if you plan on using open sights. I'd recommend the 200 over the 100. Adding this sight will not affect 922r compliance either way. http://www.tech-sights.com/

Before modifying this rifle, you may want to investigate whether it is a relatively rare rifle like a Sino-Soviet or Security Police. If so, sell it for what it is worth and use the proceeds to purchase both a more common commercial SKS and the accessories you want. You might actually wind up with money left in your pocket too.

Pretty much any aftermarket stock is as good as the next I guess, depending on what look and feel suits you. One nice modification is a 'Jungle Stock'. You keep the feel of the original rifle with the durability of a synthetic stock. You can find them on eBay and elsewhere. Personally, I like the feel of the so-called 'Dragunov Stock' on my Saiga.

If you are thinking of high capacity magazines, they have a reputation for being problematic, whether they are of US or foreign origin. Most folks wind up just sticking with the stock magazines.

A joke or not, 922r is current law. There are sources out there to help you determine what parts count towards compliance when you begin your modifications. http://www.thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance

Keith

Gotta love the SKS. As you said I wouldn't spend a lot of money mod's. A few you could consider is:

1. syn stock Butler Creek Sporter Rifle Stock SKS Synthetic Black - MidwayUSA

2. mojo sights AK47 and SKS at Mojo Sighting Systems

3. if you want to scope it, do it right from the beginning (meaning don't buy the receiver mounts, they are crap and won't hold a zero) Choate Scope Mount SKS Steel Blue - MidwayUSA

4. trigger job YouTube - ‪SKS Trigger Job Part 1 of 5‬‏

5. nothing: get a bunch of ammo

Lastly, even if you scope it, the best groups I've gotten were 1.5" to 2" at 100 yards. Taken deer with it at 175 yards. To me it's like my 30-30 in semi-auto.

The SKS rifle is pretty much bomb-proof and needs nothing to keep working. EXCEPT, if you use surplus corrosive ammunition, clean it soon with hot water or ammonia blend to neutralize the acids---a patch or two of Windex-with-Ammonia down the bore works perfectly. Also swab out the gas tube and piston, as these can corrode out of sight. Then clean and oil as usual. Some fanatics say to never oil the gas tube or piston; I can't see why not oil them?

Also, remember that the safety only locks the trigger and NOT the firing pin. If you are using commercial ammo with "soft" primers don't be slamming the rifle forward as the firing pin could still fly forward. Adding a Murray's spring-supported firing pin is a good safety investment (MurraysGuns.com)..........................elsullo

The SKS rifle is pretty much bomb-proof and needs nothing to keep working. EXCEPT, if you use surplus corrosive ammunition, clean it soon with hot water or ammonia blend to neutralize the acids---a patch or two of Windex-with-Ammonia down the bore works perfectly. Also swab out the gas tube and piston, as these can corrode out of sight. Then clean and oil as usual. Some fanatics say to never oil the gas tube or piston; I can't see why not oil them?

Also, remember that the safety only locks the trigger and NOT the firing pin. If you are using commercial ammo with "soft" primers don't be slamming the rifle forward as the firing pin could still fly forward. Adding a Murray's spring-supported firing pin is a good safety investment (MurraysGuns.com)..........................elsullo

Good advice (especially about the firing pin), but a few small corrections.

The product in the residue of corrosive ammunition is potassium chloride, a salt, not an acid. Like any salt, it is hydrophillic, and quickly promotes rust. As mentioned, water and soap, hot water and soap or an ammonia based cleaner will dissolve the salt into solution and allow it to be removed. In the case of ammonia, it both dissolves copper which may be covering salt deposits hidden in deep pores, and acts as a 'surfricant' that allows better wetting for a deeper clean. For this reason I use an ammonia cleaner exclusively. Ammonia leaves the metal very dry though, so a light oiling of the barrel afterwords is a good idea. Other commercial cleaners, as long as they state that they are good for cleaning corrosive ammo, are just fine, but I'm cheap and use Windex.

Oiling the piston components can promote carbon buildup, but in an AK or SK, does it really matter? I oil mine after cleaning, but the oil evaporates quickly and is long dry by the time I shoot again.

As a final note, its a good idea to ever so lightly grease (not oil) metal to metal sliding or camming surfaces. I do this on all of my rifles now, its a habit I formed after I got my first Garand.

Keith

Last Edited:
I'm a fan of the SKS. I would disassemble and clean the bolt prior to first use. One some carbines the firing pin retaining pin can be a little difficult to remove. Use a bigger hammer: literally. I once had a 1954 russian that required several stout blows from a 3 lb. welding hammer to "tap" out the retaining pin.

You will be well served by following elsullo's and trainsktg's advice.

Thanks guys! Good stuff! I certainly plan on at least tearing it down and thoroughly cleaning prior to shooting. Should be a fun little project. I like some of the Tapco stocks, and I will surely make sure that none of the mods permanently alter it. Now to find ammo.

What it really comes down to is if your gunna do any mods,sell it and just get a AK instead.
The only appeal of the SKS is a cheap good shooting,fun useable 7.62X39 round rifle,cheap enough to just leave in the truck for those times you need extra fire power.

I bought one.Great shooter.The mags work great.Shoots minute of bad guy easily.(spray and pray :)
But I decided if I'm going to mod something I'll get an AK style.Or an AR in 7.62X39

I don't know if anyone has already mentioned it, but there is one must-do PERMANENT modification for your SKS, but ONLY IF you plan to use detachable magazines with it. I strongly recommend grinding off a little set of 'lips' on the bolt that lock the magazine in place. Many SKS owners end up doing this, if they use detachable magazines.

Ditto on the tech sights. I installed a set, and with bulk ammo (Uly or Golden Tiger), I am getting saucer sized groups of 10 rounds at 100 yards. Mine is also a Norinco, and yeah, it took a big hammer to knock the firing pin retaining pin out the first time. I worked slowly with a needle file and sandpaper until I was able to tap it out with a small hammer and punch. Makes cleaning the bolt much easier. Great rifle, you'll love it.
Chris

Survivors SKS boards is your best place to go for any info you need on the SKS. Also look up Yooper Johns web site Yooper John

I had a Yugo SKS and did the Bubba thing by putting an ATI drag stock and mount and scope and 20 tapco mags Etc. Etc. But when I was done with all that I just switched it back. Its just a better gun without all the junk on it. The Tapco mags are fun but not worth grinding down the lower slide lips on the bolt to change out mags when the bolt is closed. The only mod I did to mine was use a dremel to open up the feed lip at the bottom of the barrel so I could use HP rounds because the would jam up. This mod seemed to make the gun run smoother as well. You can still find 20 round boxs that you can use if the 10 round box on your rifle isn't enough. When the time comes I'm going to pick up another SKS. Great little guns. Enjoy :)

My first SKS had a synthetic Monte Carlo stock with a Bushnell scope. I had plans on putting all this money into it. I believe I picked it up for about $275 or so. My friend picked up his SKS just a few months after I picked up mine. After watching my friend do all these cool tactical mods to his SKS, I wanted to follow his foot steps. Rather than spend hundreds of dollars in mods, I sold mine for $300 and bought his (low ball offer) for $400 (came with original everything as well). He gave me all the receipts and looking at how much he invested, I am glad I didn't take the time to follow his foot steps and rather just asked him to buy his. All in all, they are cool rifles but at the end of the day, unless you really like the gun, it is always going to be an SKS and the more money you put into it could potentially be more money towards an AR15 or something better. Then again, do what you want if you really love the gun.

I have my 2nd SKS. (sold the first one quite a while back)
To me, this gun is fine just as it is with one exception. Since it's not a "target grade" rifle, the sights are fine for what I want it for. I can smack football sized targets offhand at 100 yards. For this gun that is ok.
But, the length of pull is so short that I end up with my shooting hand thumb smacking me in the nose. I've seen slip-on buttpads and buttplate extensions. I'm going to be looking for one of those.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top