JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome! I've been researching (stalling?) for my first handgun, too. I'm left handed, so I have "special requirements." I have been impressed with the feel of the Smith&Wesson M&P series, from handling it the shops. The reviews I've read are overwhelmingy positive.

If you're like me -- not an experienced handgun shooter -- a larger framed pistol like this may be a good option. Even if you opt for the compact model, which I probably will. I hear that most of the ultra-compacts kick hard and can discourage newbies (overgeneralization: less mass = more recoil).

Now let's here from the more experienced fellows! :)

Edit: I just noticed this is posted in "introductions." I suppose a simple "hello" would suffice!

:) yes, and there are very few instances where it's a hinderance at all. In fact, it's almost more natural for me to break my grip and hit the release with the middle finger of my dominant hand...so..?...You know what they say about bad habits!

I held one of those and liked it a lot. But for me, the lack of left-hand friendly controls was a deal breaker (unless I'm getting confused...which is highly likely!)

Not sure but I think you're thinking of another pistol. I'm a certified 100% lefty so I pay attention to these things. In addition I have glocks, XD's, 1911's etc personally.

The XD has an ambi mag release, grip safety, ambi indicator for firing pin, ambi case indicator. The 'righty' items are the slide release and the take-down lever. I have grown used to using index finger on slide releases and find it at least as easy as adjusting the grip to use a right thumb.
The take down doesn't matter unless your combat routine is to disassemble your pistol and throw it at an attacker, piece by piece!

Last Edited:
@cj ah yes! Now I remember "playing" with the XDm for quite a while. The slide release was in a perfect postion to operate with my index (or middle?) finger. And the trigger felt a lot nicer than the M&P (dry firing, anyway).

I'm trying to narrow down my list, not expand it! :) (though this was already on my short-list)

Personally, for a shooters first pistol, I'd always recommend a revolver over a semi auto. Simple, reliable, and safe.

In fact, your first gun should be a 22. You need to practice a TON.. and a 22 is the most inexpensive firearm to shoot. Find a quality 6 shot S&W, Ruger, Colt, Taurus... whatever. Go buy a 500 ct box of ammo and get used to shooting ... Once you feel comfortable and are proficient with a wheel gun, then maybe move to an auto.

Just remember... don't EVER point it at anything you do not intend to KILL. Loaded or unloaded...

Welcome to the site BTW... there is a ton of knowlege here.. read. Learn. Learn some more.

*edit* One more thing... remember, shot placement is far more important than the size of the bullet. A well placed 22 will do a fine job of stopping someone intent on harming you or your loved ones.

Don't be over anxious. Take your time and pick the right gun. It will pay off in the long run. Save up and buy what you really want. Otherwise, you will loose out when you sell what you got to buy what you really want.

That said, what are you going to use the gun for? If it is only range and HD, then I would go with a full sized handgun. Do you plan on getting your CHL? If so, then you might want to go with a compact model. Not a tiny gun like the Kahr PM9 for your first handgun, but something that you can enjoy shooting, but also carry. I like the HK45c and the HK P30 for carry guns and they are large enough for accruate range and HD purposes. The M&P, XDm, and glock are good guns also. Pick the one that works best for you.

i've been looking for about 3 months of solid r&d been to a few places MK Tactical. and what used to be sportsman's warehouse (spent well over an hour bothering the guy to get a good feel for most of the guns) so rushing i hope not. As for purpose its gonna be for all of it when i get my carry permit. I have a newborn son so i started thinking about safety of member of the fam and home. On a side note been shooting since i was 7 or 8 shot competition bb guns for a number of years and been through alot of safety classes and tests. as for range shooting i went through about 2000 rounds of 22 (not hard to do at all) and a few boxes of .380 so i hope practice with the new gun will go smooth and well grouped. Thank you for all the advice and hope that i can learn alot from this forum.

P.S. the xd i plan on getting is the xd 9mm 4 inch service so it's a god size for both9carry will most likely will be IWB).

Hi, I'm new here too; I do have a few M&P's 9mm Full Size & Compact, 40 Compact and 45 Compact. The Ruger LCP 380 pacts more of a sting than any of these do. LCP380 benefits greatly by slipping on a Hogue Handall Jr sleeve. Of course, the 40 cal. M&P Compact is the worse of the bunch I listed. I really like the Compact versions of the S&W M&P's. For a Poly gun they are quite accurate once you get used to them. Lots of Police departments use them today. The Palm Swells being replaceable like Springfield copied is really nice to have. As for being a lefty, I am a righty, but I practice shooting with both hands. I even have a Ruger MkIII with a thumb rest for for a righty that I shoot lefty as well. It's all about adapting and practice. I bought the Smiths because they are made in the USA. I have a few off shore (CZ) weapons, but mostly Made in the USA. I love my M&P's, haven't had a single problem with any of them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top