JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just purchased my first shotgun, a Mossberg 500 with 20" barrel.

Purchased new. It arrived almost dripping with oil.
It will need to be cleaned and appropriately oiled.

I am new to shotguns and I am looking for suggestions on
cleaning and oiling. Both product and method suggestions
welcome.

Thanks

If you bought it new it should have a manual with it that includes safe handling, loading,operating, and cleaning. If it didn't you should down load it from their website. Good choice for your 1st shotgun!

I've got a Mossberg 500 myself - with both the 20" barrel and a replacement 28" barrel for trap, etc. When I got the gun, it was a bit oily, but definitely not dripping with it.

For me, cleaning is pretty simple. I use a solvent cleaner to remove the oil, wiping down the barrel inside and out, cleaning out the chamber. After cleaning, I always give it a once-over, inside and out, with some gun oil - a very thin film, you don't need any more than that. I do make sure to lube the moving parts of the action (slide rails, slide and bolt (not the bolt face). Bore snakes work great for cleaning the barrel - I own several of them. My opinion is that you shouldn't have to do a complete take-down for the initial cleaning - some folks might disagree with me on that. When the time comes that you want to do a complete take-down for a deeper cleaning, YouTube has some great videos on this.

I know there are a lot of differing opinions on cleaning and lube products. I personally grew up using Hoppes and it's always worked well for me, so I've had no reason to switch. I used to use Hoppes #9 solvent, which works great for cleaning, but kind of stinks. I switched to Hoppes Elite, which also cleans great, but has no odor. As for oil, there are plenty of great ones, I happen to be using Outer's Gun Oil at the moment. Great choice on a first shotgun, I really enjoy mine.

+1 on the bore snakes/Rip cords, they're great for shotguns.

I too use a proper degreaser first. I use MPro 7, the non petroleum based/non smelling cleaner. MPro7 also make the Elite cleaner for Hoppes, i thought i'd just go for the original brand as it's likely to be their best solution, besides, i can get 8oz bottles for about $9 on Amazon :)

I try to stay with the non petroleum products where i can, i've found that FrogLube and now Seal1 work really well for exterior protection as well as inside the barrel. I will say though, that for things like pump slides and bolt guns, i'd rather use a grease, like Slip2000 EWG as i think it will react a little better without the heat that FL likes.

Lots of great suggestions for lubes/techniques above.
Couple experiences,
Exterior protection: Ezzox, Great stuff, suggest using alternate lubricant. No adverse effects to metal, tupperware or wood. Go To protectant for 15+ years now.
Wad residue and cleaning any bore, J-B bore cleaner, lube of your choice. As a paste you can repackage it in appropriate sized containers for field use.

Steve

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top