JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to possible get into reloading. I'm thinking about reloading for waterfowel season so I can control consistency and dial in some powerful loads. Not looking to crank out thousands of rounds probably just a hundred at a time or so. Any advice on handloading kits such as the Old Lee loaders (cant seem to find one anywhere. Really just looking for a simple crimper, funnel and powder/shot measure. If anyone is getting out of reloading please let me know, I may be interested in what you have. Also will take any advice more experienced people can give to a new comer.

Mec 600 Jr is a great basic shotshell press, keep in mind loading shotshell is not like loading metallic ammo
With shotshell you do not work up a load for accuracy you must follow a load recipe exactly

Looking to possible get into reloading. I'm thinking about reloading for waterfowel season so I can control consistency and dial in some powerful loads. Not looking to crank out thousands of rounds probably just a hundred at a time or so. Any advice on handloading kits such as the Old Lee loaders (cant seem to find one anywhere. Really just looking for a simple crimper, funnel and powder/shot measure. If anyone is getting out of reloading please let me know, I may be interested in what you have. Also will take any advice more experienced people can give to a new comer.
That's on my want list too, mainly for slug n buck.
Even put out a wanted ad for one

2nd on the MEC 600. I have a 700, which is very similar, from the 70's that I'm still using on a regular basis. For a hundred or so at a time it is great. You can tweak the powder amounts (based on the info from reloading guides) but do watch hull/powder/wad/primer/shot weight combinations. Each will change the pressure and velocity. Handloading shotshells allows me to create low velocity / recoil loads for the family and save a little money as well.

One place you might look around is Ballistic Products, they have a web site. You can buy hand loading tools from them. By that I mean, truly hand loading, done individually in a shot shell vise one at a time. Formerly, I used a press but that was decades ago. Now, about the only shells I load are specialty loads for 28 gauge.
keep in mind loading shotshell is not like loading metallic ammo
With shotshell you do not work up a load for accuracy you must follow a load recipe exactly

This is true, loading shot shells is more about perfecting technique rather than load development.

What I know about shot shell loading was learned way before the internet. I'd think now that there would be tons of posts on Youtube, etc., that would be helpful.

One thing I learned about loading shotgun shells individually. You need to get the wad seated tight so your powder gets sufficient compression for proper ignition. I have a cheapie arbor press from Harbor Freight that I use for this step.

For me...
The Gun Show circuit (and sometimes Pawn Shops)......has always been a good place to start if I'm looking for used (economical) reloading equipment.

Aloha, Mark

PS....to tell the truth. I haven't used my MEC in awhile. Now a days I just find it easier (possibly even cheaper) to just buy promo shot gun ammo. Course.....it's up to you how you want to go about achieving your ammo goal(s).

Reloading cost calculator for SG ammo: http://www.losttarget.com/costcal.htm

Last Edited:
If you are around any shotgun clubs (PGC, Hillsboro, Canby) they often have either adds for used loaders posted or, like my range in Albany, there is typically one or more sitting in there with a price tag on it. If you come down that far every I can put you into contact with a gentleman who refurbishes them and puts them up for sale.

He asked for our help and information from experienced loaders. That is what I thought I was giving him. I have been able to buy at gun shows a mec for less then $50 sometimes with all the pieces to load 6 crimp and 8 crimp easy and cheap with quality is what it is all about the Mec will do that and last a lifetime

Mec or Ponsness warren is the way I'd roll. Start out on a single stage like the mec Jr. then progress to the Ponsness or Mec Grabber progressive later on down the road. When I was shooting competition trap, I always consulted about 4 different load manuals. I generally focused on book pressures, to find the best powder. I also loaded with the cleanest burning powder I could. When I was young, I had a lot of questions as to which wad was the best in each hull design and which produced the most uniform patterns. Then when you've settled on a good load (or what you thought was good), then you take your loads to the patterning board or grease plate..... I spent many an hour counting pellets in targets, measuring pattern size and checking shot density on targets. If you want to be competitive and take home any kind of money, you learn to be anal about stuff...... Shotgun reloading can be just as critical as good rifle reloading...

I have found it's not really economical to load shot shells. Lead cost went sky high even reclaimed stuff from ranges. My family and I have been shooting trap for the better bart of 30 plus years and we all used to reload our own shot shells. Now we just buy factory.

I have found it's not really economical to load shot shells. Lead cost went sky high even reclaimed stuff from ranges. My family and I have been shooting trap for the better bart of 30 plus years and we all used to reload our own shot shells. Now we just buy factory.
You can load slugs and buckshot in shotshells.

I'm going to echo KKG. Lee load all will do what you need.

It can be a pain to set up, but once you know what you want, you fill the powder and the shot and process the rounds. It is also more steps, 8 per round, but if you are loading less than 100 rounds, it's no big deal.

Gunsmith007 is also correct. It is mostly plastic, and sooner or later it will break. I've had mine about 2 years (about 500 rounds) and haven't had any issues. When it breaks, I will look a a more expensive setup.

I have access to a couple 600S (12 AND 20GA)

And a couple of Mec progressives (12 and 20- both setup for target ammo)

I buy factory ammo for 99% of my hunting/shooting.

Used to reload everything (Except steel) I shot. Back then, I had more time and energy than money. So saving a little on each box of shells mattered.

Got a little more money now. And am busy with work/life. It seems unless I am willing to buy components in bulk, it's about the same price to buy off the shelf, and I can spend my time hunting instead of making ammo (And save a bunch of shelf space in the garage)

If you really want to put the time in, it's an interesting and rewarding hobby.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top