JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This coming year I want to get into reloading for my hunting rifles, .338 Win Mag and .45/70. I'm looking for a list of what I'll need, and any advice on what model of each item is good, but won't cost me an arm and a leg.

I know I'll need a press, dues, and a scale, but what else do I need to get going? I want quality, but don't need something super fast or anything like that. I won't be loading a lot.

Rcbs has a good rebate now, if you spend 299.99 or more you get $100 back, the rockchucker kit will get you almost everything you need. You'll eventually need a case trimmer, and you'll also need dies. Hornady rcbs and Lee all make great dies at the entry level price point. All will make very accurate hunting ammo.

If you think you might do pistol I would get a turret press instead, but for those 2 a single stage will work great.

You should probably get a Dillon 650XLBLSHT to suit your needs. You could (after you set up) load a lifetime supply a that there in two seconds. Savings!
lul
Get all a single stage (alloy or cast, just "like" RCBS etc.) Lee press and Lee dies and whatnots like generations of happy customers.

That RCBS kit is cheaper at $200.00 than it was when I bought it with rebates and specials in 2011... Watch the reloading classifieds. ifish .net has a guy selling a couple of, Lyman I think, trimmers for a good price.

You should use more than one reloading hand book too. After you get a book or two ask around here for people's favorite powders for what you're loading and look in the books too. Get powder and projectiles, line up some brass. If for some reason you don't follow through you can always sell supplies.

Powder funnel, shell holders, calipers a manual. I prefer the Hornady Classic lock-n-load due to their bushing set up. If I were just starting out, I'd go with their Classic starter set. All the above mentioned brands are good. Don't be afraid to buy used also.

You do realize that once you take that first step, there will be no helping you. Others may offer comfort but it is of little use. If you are married you will find yourself sneaking items into the house. You will not be able to sleep the night before taking you first reloads to the range. You have been warned:oops::D.
Good luck.

You do realize that once you take that first step, there will be no helping you. Others may offer comfort but it is of little use. If you are married you will find yourself sneaking items into the house. You will not be able to sleep the night before taking you first reloads to the range. You have been warned:oops::D.
Good luck.

This is true.

If you are just going to do rifle loads then a solid single stage press is a great asset. I'd suggest an RCBS, 2 years ago I bought an old RS (Reloader Special) press with almost everything I needed for about $150.
List of what you will need;
Press
Dies
Scale
Powder throw
Calipers
Primer tool (I like to do mine right on the press)
Case prep tools (deburring, primer pocket cleaner & cutter (for military crimps)
Reloading manuals (the older ones are still relevant to your choices)

Good luck and do not be afraid to ask questions, I do it all the time and get phenomenal results.;)

Commendable to ask for advice; welcome to the journey.

If I was to do it all over again for rifle-only, the RCBS single stage kit is the way I'd go; as nice as the progressive presses are...

It shouldn't take a ton of money; a couple more ideas for thought...

At least a couple loading blocks to hold your cases.

A reloading book (aka reloading bible)

Re-purposed plastic trays from meat purchases for sorting brass, and empty snack containers for storing ammo.

If you are shooting the brass out of one rifle only; an RCBS decapping and neck sizing die will help prolong the life of your brass; it has been said about the bigger calibers that full-length dies can work the brass more; shortening the life....

Home made case lube (lanolin & rubbing alcohol)...too much lube can cause a hydraulic dent in the case neck when sizing.

Walnut media in your vibrator; less tendency to leave residue in flash holes..

A good caliper is a must.

Hand priming tools help to keep plenty of primed brass on hand; until you have time and/or the components for the next project.

I prefer the RCBS bench trimmer, and any time one can use a drill or other power tools to prep cases.

There is tons (nominal) to learn; I'm sure a wide variety of opinions will serve your needs better.

Good luck, wear safety glasses, enjoy the learning.

Buy everything at one time and RCBS is good quality for the single stage press. These guys have it right on what you need and I would only add get some help to start with. You can make mistakes and not know it when you go it alone. One lost eye or busted gun defeats the purpose of loading your own.o_O

As mentioned, get the RCBS Rock chucker kit. Solid value, and swoop up on the rebate!

I prefer RCBS dies for most jobs except for the bullet seating step. I don't think you'll need to worry about getting anything fancy for your needs.

Good on ya for asking for advice first. It'll probably save you an bubblegum load of money and heartache later on.

Yep RCBS Rockchucker kit and an accessory kit to go with it. That will get you started, I like a Lee Hand priming tool but those small things are easy to add any time. I would also get a decent vernier Caliper to measure stuff.

Commendable to ask for advice; welcome to the journey.

If I was to do it all over again for rifle-only, the RCBS single stage kit is the way I'd go; as nice as the progressive presses are...

It shouldn't take a ton of money; a couple more ideas for thought...

At least a couple loading blocks to hold your cases.

A reloading book (aka reloading bible)

Re-purposed plastic trays from meat purchases for sorting brass, and empty snack containers for storing ammo.

If you are shooting the brass out of one rifle only; an RCBS decapping and neck sizing die will help prolong the life of your brass; it has been said about the bigger calibers that full-length dies can work the brass more; shortening the life....

Home made case lube (lanolin & rubbing alcohol)...too much lube can cause a hydraulic dent in the case neck when sizing.

Walnut media in your vibrator; less tendency to leave residue in flash holes..

A good caliper is a must.

Hand priming tools help to keep plenty of primed brass on hand; until you have time and/or the components for the next project.

I prefer the RCBS bench trimmer, and any time one can use a drill or other power tools to prep cases.

There is tons (nominal) to learn; I'm sure a wide variety of opinions will serve your needs better.

Good luck, wear safety glasses, enjoy the learning.
Good advise.......most of that stuff comes in the RCBS accessory kit.

Yep RCBS Rockchucker kit and an accessory kit to go with it. That will get you started,
Yep I agree - I have been reloading for almost 40 years now and while only adding another press to my bench I still can keep up with my shooting needs. Don't fall into the belief you need a progressive setup - most don't and that is why you see a lot of them for sale used.

Yep I agree - I have been reloading for almost 40 years now and while only adding another press to my bench I still can keep up with my shooting needs. Don't fall into the belief you need a progressive setup - most don't and that is why you see a lot of them for sale used.
You are correct. The only progressive I have is my old Ponns and Warren 900 shotgun loader set up for trap loads. We used to sometimes shoot 500 rounds a weekend.

I like "O" presses for those big rifle calibers. Nice and stout. Cavemanjim's post has a pretty good starter list up there a few posts. I think the best thing you can do if you're really green to reloading is buy a book with a tutorial like the Lee 2nd edition, the big Hornady manual, or the Lyman 49th or 50th and watch a lot of fortunecookie45LC videos on YouTube. He has videos from basic to advanced and he uses a wide variety of equipment with no brand bias. Make your shopping list based on that information and then empty the checking account when your wife isn't looking;).

Great advice above. Welcome to OCD Central.
You need a strong table. The kitchen table generally won't do (it will, but Mama may take strong exception).
Cannot go wrong with a Rock Chucker. Do not get the JR - while it's great for loading rounds that are 2.8" or shorter, it suffers when you're dealing with magnums (may need to tilt the case into the press).
If you get a Lee, only buy the "Classic Cast" unit. They are great for loading 300 RUM or 338 Lapua rounds, which are too long for most other single stage presses.
I have never had a bad die from any manufacturer. They all have quirks. There's lots of info on different die manufacturers here: General Advice Requested On OEMs Of Reloading Dies

I would also get a decent vernier Caliper to measure stuff.
Old Skool!

Look at the following picture. It shows everything you would need, less the calipers.
I would suggest the following changes:
  • Lose the funnel. Plastic funnels hold onto powder kernels with static. I bought cake decorating nozzles at Michaels (stainless steel), they are perfect.
  • The scale is useful for checking your powder throw. Once you have these dialed in, it's the fastest way to load.
  • Lyman makes a chamfer / primer pocket / debur tool that's much better than the one shown.
  • Hand priming tools are the best. I HATE the Lee one, much prefer the RCBS unit. The Hornady one works well too. Had a lee, dumped it. Have a Hornady and RCBS. One I keep set up for SRP, the other for LRP.
  • The pic shows one case tray. Get 4-6 more. The red ones are great, have holes for all the different sizes.
  • You need loaded round boxes if you don't plan on keeping your old ammo boxes and plastic inserts.
upload_2017-12-17_21-28-2.png

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR