JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm getting married in June and a few friends got together and got me an RCBS reloading set as a "bridal" gift. All their wives and significant others got my future wife a bunch of girl stuff and thought I would like something I could actually use. I'm new to reloading and want to know what I'll need in addition to the kit to start reloading my own ammo. Any help would be appreciated. I plan on reloading .223/5.56, .40 and 9mm to start. I have plans to start building a bench within the next month or so but have no clue on how to set up the components of the kit (press and stuff). I've posted a pic of what the reloading kit contains.

Thanks again
image.jpg

image.jpg

Reloading manuals. A couple of them. Read them both cover to cover. Start there and you should get most of the answers you need to start reloading safely. Enjoy!

Loading tray to hold brass as you complete each step
Calibres to insure you have the correct case length
Case trimmer to trim your brass when needed
Lyman and Hornady loading manuals to read before you begin anything else

I quite literally built this bench in my garage in about 20 minutes yesterday. Granted, I didn't bother with using sawhorses or anything, just some quick measurements and cutting everything supporting the wood on my foot. Works fine for me and you should be able to make it any size you want really. Only thing I did differently was a double layer of OSB on top to give the press more meat to be drilled into.

How To Build A Low-Cost Sturdy Work Bench From 2x4's And OSB

I quite literally built this bench in my garage in about 20 minutes yesterday. Granted, I didn't bother with using sawhorses or anything, just some quick measurements and cutting everything supporting the wood on my foot. Works fine for me and you should be able to make it any size you want really. Only thing I did differently was a double layer of OSB on top to give the press more meat to be drilled into.

How To Build A Low-Cost Sturdy Work Bench From 2x4's And OSB

These make great benches. Just remember to install some 2X4, 2X6, etc underneath the top when bolting down a press. OSB doesn't hold bolts well and even "through-bolting" can fail easily with this stuff.

Lyman and Hornady loading manuals to read before you begin anything else
Required reading. And with regard to bolting down the press try to find some 3/8" scrap steel or aluminum plate and cut a rectangle a little larger than the mounting area of the press and use it as a 'base' for the press. You will want to make sure the plate is completely flat so when the press is mounted the plate will be sandwiched flat on the bench top. Also some washers cut and drilled from the same material will be needed as thrust backing on the underside. Drill the holes nominal size so the bolts just fit through with no movement. This will really improve the surface rigidity and reduce press flex when resizing. Not so much flex with pistol ammo but some .223 can be a little tight and it is important to have as little press movement as possible. Real important if you plan to reload anything larger. Make sure to chamfer the edges and round the corners of the plate to eliminate the sharp edges. If you do build the aforementioned bench you may want to consider a method for securing it to the floor or to the wall if it will be against one. Reducing bench and press movement to a minimum is a necessity for the reloading process.

+1 on the manuals. I think I'm up to 10, and they all have taught me something that the others left out. I think Calipers are a necessity to be safe. You don't know if you are doing things right unless you measure. A kinetic bullet puller to take rounds apart if something is not right. A notebook to keep track of the minutest details.

The cartridge trays are a great convenience, look at the wood ones midway sells, much nicer than the one size fits all plastic ones.

You have some good friends.

These make great benches. Just remember to install some 2X4, 2X6, etc underneath the top when bolting down a press. OSB doesn't hold bolts well and even "through-bolting" can fail easily with this stuff.

Good idea, I was just about to bolt the press on when I happened to log back in. Still have plenty of scrap wood, so another five minutes to save hours of hassle down the road seems like a pretty good tradeoff.

Welcome to reloading. There's lots to this and it's a lifetime hobby.
Lots of great advice from old timers here.

If you can arrange it, visit someone with a reloading setup. If you visit Portland at all, you're welcome to spend some time at my bench.

What I see is a Rock Crusher press kit and what you're doing is pistol and 223. Get them to also get you a progressive like a __________ (everyone's opinion here).
I started out with a Lee Loadmaster. Effective, cheap in price and manufacture but it sure worked for pistol ammo. Now use a Hornady LnL.

Here is my set-up to load 300AAC Blackout ammunition. I am using my kitchen table. I don't do fine dining at my apartment so I am putting my table to good use.

I bought a slab of wood at Lowes (48in X 11in X 1 1/2in) I then used clamps to secure the board to my kitchen table. On this board, I bolted my presses and trimmer, the beauty is if I ever need to move or take my press elsewhere, I have that option.

c7a0d80b-8959-4834-a84b-fcb9894ab404_zps3039e7ca.jpg

Reloading manuals. A couple of them. Read them both cover to cover. Start there and you should get most of the answers you need to start reloading safely. Enjoy!

Yep!! A couple reloading manuals and Youtube is all you need to get started. Plus some dies, powder, primers, brass, bullets.... Welcome to the world of reloading!!! There is always something else you will need! :) It's a great hobby!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top