JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While I have been reloading since 1976 and have reloaded 9mm, 38/357, 40 S@W, 45ACP , 223.308, 30/06, 300 Weatherby mag and 338 Lapua . I do claim that I am NOT expert but reading the reloading posts I find that all reloaders have run into the exact same problems as others as well as myself have had throughout the years of reloading. So with all the loaders on board problems can be solved and procedures learned. I seem to learn something new every time I reload and seem to be a new loader with every new caliber and change in component.

Yep, Reading, and re-reading several times is fundamental. Most of the "Help me" posts strike me as folks NOT reading, and therefore not understanding the fundamentals. They want the shortcut version, without wanting to understand.

I re-read manuals at night constantly. The available knowledge is staggering, especially when you remember what you forgot:cool:

Yep - it seems we will happily reload for a period of time and then run into a problem we have not encountered before. With me it seems changing and trying different bullets has been my biggest problem and more recently reloading for my CZ 75. Only after some research did I find out the CZ has a shorter chamber than most other 'nines' and it took some experimenting to come up with the proper COL. Also I used to 'slightly' crimp my .45 ACP loads, and while that did not cause any particular problems I occasionally encountered a tight round and eventually figured out I was expanding my case mouths too much. After some re-adjusting I reduced my expansion and eliminated the crimp completely - result? perfect feeding and extraction all the time!

It does not get any clearer/simpler as you get older. I started in 1957 and still get surprised now and then--mainly I think because I didn't put my glasses on when reading the load info.

As for the short cutters, I think that lately there could be a lot more people reloading because they want to save money and do not consider the process to be a hobby in itself-- and so do not care to learn the art/skill--just want cheap ammo quick. This often results in some
nasty experiences at the range--I've witnessed more overcharge disasters in the last 5 years or so than in all the years before-- I will not go out to the range on weekends anymore after having to dig splinters out of my range bag when the guy on the bench next to me lit up one of his shortcuts.............I'm lucky to be left handed using the right side of the bench and had the bag on the bench on the left side.

I think that lately there could be a lot more people reloading because they want to save money and do not consider the process to be a hobby in itself-- and so do not care to learn the art/skill--just want cheap ammo quick. This often results in some nasty experiences at the range--I've witnessed more overcharge disasters in the last 5 years or so than in all the years before
Kind of why I have posted several times about how reloading should be undertaken as an extension of your interest in firearms and shooting, and as Sinister said
a hobby in itself
and with the emphasis on it AS an art, and skill! But then if all you want to do is go blast away with 1K of ammo with your AR or AK forget reloading - you probably won't benefit anyway. Reloading benefits best the 'traditional' shooters who appreciate fine firearms, and the quest for the tightest groups possible and for the best performance from their guns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top