JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One comment about comparing Lee dies vs. Dillon dies on a progressive press, or at least on a Dillon press. The Dillon dies have a wider opening that will "funnel" the casing into the die. The Lee's don't and you need to be cautious about just cranking away in the handle. Because I use Lee dies, sometimes I need to stop and align a case into the die.

I use both presses still and highly recommend not doing progressive right away. That's just my opinion based on my experiences.

Mine, too. I think that it's a good idea to completely understand the fundamentals of reloading. Too much stuff going on at the same time with a progressive.

There are too many moving parts in a chainsaw. Let us ban chainsaws in favor of a splitting maul.

There is no reason to disparage progressive presses unless:
  1. You are afraid of mechanical parts and assume that everyone is like you
  2. You are unable to afford a progressive press and in order to deal with your cognitive dissonance you must tear buyers down to make yourself feel better.
  3. You only shoot high power, carefully craft each round, and look down upon anyone else who deigns to shoot any other ammo/firearm
There are too many courses, manuals, videos, forums, and websites to use in learning to reload for anyone to have any excuse not to learn the fundamentals of reloading--even on a progressive press.

I've never used a single stage press. I've never used a turret press. I've ALWAYS used a progressive, of which I have two. Despite working on computers all day, I'm perfectly comfortable following Dillon's instructions, watching videos, and reading the NRA metallic cartridge reloading handbook. The safety features of the Dillon (and others) such as the powder checks and automatic advancing mechanism of the 650 prevents most bonehead moves.

There is nothing wrong with a progressive press if it meets your needs. It is no more evil than a black rifle over a bolt gun, or a calculator over a slide rule. It is a time- and effort-saving tool that can be learned and adopted.

How about we help the OP choose a press based on his needs, rather than on your fears?

I appreciate everyone's opinion on the single/turret Vs progressive, and honestly, they have all helped, thank you.

I like that Hornady press i linked a few posts back, it's also 5 station, giving room for a powder checker, which i have no idea how they work.

Someone, a single station advocate, didn't move to a progressive because they're anal about checking the powder loads at various stages, on the press they tried X years ago, they couldn't remove the cartridge after the powder stage in order to weigh it. So far as i've seen from the videos, you *can* remove the cartridges from a progressive, weigh, and slip back in again before moving to the next stage, does this sound correct?

On the Dillons it is very easy to remove a retaining pin from stages 3-5, and tip the cartridge out of stage 1 and 2. I will verify the powder charge at the beginning of each reloading session, typically after the press has sat for a couple of days between. I have one powder measure that tends to drift a bit and I'll sometimes check this one more often, perhaps every 600-1000 rounds or so.

I don't think anyone was disparaging progressive presses, just trying to give good advice to a new guy looking for the "best bang for buck" with an eye towards progressive because it is intriguing yet currently has no need to volume reload.

Suppose this was an automotive forum and someone wanting to learn to drive asked what he should start on. He's drawn towards big trucks with manual transmissions and two speed rear axles because they are just so cool! Some of us are just pointing towards the ordinary sedan with automatic tranny and saying maybe that would be a good vehicle to learn on and within his budget. I've never once heard someone bemoan having to sell their single stage press (sedan) because they upgraded to a Dillon (Mac truck), but I have seen people selling their Dillon setups because they just don't reload much and need $1000 to buy feed for the livestock.

Now had he come in here flush with cash and needing to reload high volume 9/40/45 we'd almost all point our finger at Dillon.

Steve M, we're on the same page. As I mentioned in my first reply, the most important thing is to find out what his needs are and address those, rather than suggesting as has been done many times in this (and other) threads that nobody new should start with a progressive press, regardless of their volume, time, or money requirements.

There are too many moving parts in a chainsaw. Let us ban chainsaws in favor of a splitting maul.

How about we help the OP choose a press based on his needs, rather than on your fears?

Holy Sh!t! Who peed in your Cheerios?

Usually when someone is learning a new "thing" whether a sport like baseball, driving or how to reload ammunition it's a bit easier to learn the basic steps one by one rather than having the "whole load" dumped on them at once.

I gave the same advice to my son in law about buying a single stage or a turret just to start out on (and in his case it was not money related) but he bought a Dillon progressive. Now he's a bit overwhelmed and isn't sure where to start.

If you, rutilate, bought a progressive and learned it all yourself without any assistance, nice job. And, yes, you are correct on being able to pull pins to remove a case to check that step was done correctly. Dillon has done a lot to make progressive reloading as easy as possible.

The OP was asking opinions based on "best bang for the buck". In that vein you are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, most people would take "best bang for the buck" as how can I do good things with little money.

I guess i'm trying to spend as little as possible, whilst getting the most, so i wouldn't think a basic single stage would qualify for that?

It's a lot of money to go straight for a progressive, but i'm really liking that Hornady i linked to previously 8)

I'm mechanically inclined and having something like a progressive Vs a single doesn't phase me (maybe it should and only doesn't because of what i don't know?)

Either way, this has given me a lot of useful info, so thanks to all. I guess i have to start saving and working out if i got for a single or a progressive.

I used to get pissed when I would read "don't get a progressive first..." answers on forums. I'd think, "man, are they that dumb?" Now I'm grateful because it's the voice of caution. Face it, some people are challenged, both in ability and common sense. A favorite sign of mine states "stupid should hurt". Reloading stupidity will really hurt.
I think Steve M's post comparing learning to drive, while good, doesn't go far enough. I think a more analogous comparision would be your kid asking to learn auto mechanics. Start with changing the spark plugs. Jumping in with gusto would be starting out adjusting the valve rocker clearances.

Just set up my new Dillon XL650, cost $1750.00 with 4 pistol caliber kits. Need one more caliber kit.
I am using 3 of my RCBS carbide dies so saved some there.
RCBS Rock chucker kit about $300.
My early 1972 RCBS Jr. press is staying on the reloading bench, ram is a little loose but I will still need it for one off rounds.
WARNING! This hobby is addicting, ask your boss for a raise, you'll need it.

Wow, that's a lot, I was hoping the Hornady kit and dies for at least one calibre would be around 500.

Bi Mart, RCBS dies, 36.00 steel dies for some and I just dropped 48.00 for a set of 45-70 steel dies.
Basic Dillon Xl650 with one die set is $556. plus shipping. What happens now is you get it set up, run a few rounds then go back on the internet and drop another $1000 on the stuff you should have ordered in the first place.

Progressive press's are not for the mechanically challenged, if this is you stick with a single stage or turret press.
If you are mechanically challenged, hope you are great at BBQ and have a friend that is not mechanically challenged who loves your BBQ. :)

So now I want to know the things you had to re buy or shouldn't have bought in the first place :)[/QUOTE

Replace scale,
Upgraded dies to carbide,
Powder, didn't preform well for my use, get used to that one. Don't toss it, keep it safe you may find a use for it later. Like WW630P. Obama caused me to start using it again. Only had 1/2 pound left and its almost gone now. Bullseye, needed to reload some .357s, no money to buy powder, used it up.
Get a How to reload book, RCBS has one with some starting loads in the back, read it and when you go shopping take a note with you so you only buy what you need at the time.
Don't forget to ask for that raise, you'll need it.

So now I want to know the things you had to re buy or shouldn't have bought in the first place :)
1)get a good scale a cheap one will get replaced anyway

As for the dillon vs hornady
A xl650 with case feeder is 785.90
The hornady is 729.85 with case feeder
So cost difference is not much but while most seem happy with the hornady press there are quite a few who aren't but I have yet to hearsomeone who was not happy with the dillon. With the Dillon you can buy the press without the feeder to start with and hand load the feed tube which I did for a month or two when I first got mine. The hornady doese not come with the case feed components.

I appreciate everyone's opinion on the single/turret Vs progressive, and honestly, they have all helped, thank you.

I like that Hornady press i linked a few posts back, it's also 5 station, giving room for a powder checker, which i have no idea how they work.

The Hornady lock n load progressive is a very good press. That's what I have and have had from the start because I didn't want to have to buy one later on. It was a little overwhelming at first but if you just take you time and get it set up correctly first and then follow the direction in your reloading manual it's really not that hard to operate.
One a side note I had some primer feed issues at first because the Hornady directions doesn't explain how to adjust the primer feed and I wanted toss it in the garbage! But I found aguy on another forum that has made Vidios on all the major issue that are common with the lock n load it's called hints, tips, and tricks for the lock n load his channel on Utube is 76highboy it's a must watch series if you buy one and my press works awesome now.
It was a good investment. I would buy another if I had to do it over again.
Also that powder checker is called a powder cop from Hornady. But I found RCBS lock out die works much better. Locks the whole press if you have a over or under charged case. Both are easy to use and come with direction.

Stacy

If Hornady does not have a powder check system you might check out Dillon's. there is a holder that screws in the station right after the powder station and the gizmo attach's to the holder, I only tells you if you have double charged or have not charge. Simple off/on switch, could make one your self.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top