JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought rywal302's Rossi today. Great seller, btw, very smooth transaction.

I took her home and had enough daylight before dinner to run a few rounds through her just to get the feel of the little thing. 16" barrel makes for a compact package. Daisy Red Ryder for comparison:

6BD2C831-3CA1-4DF2-AD41-69BE67904F26.jpeg

Only 30 yards offhand so not much of a challenge you'd think. Man, my eyesight sucks! Semi-buckhorn rear sight, brass bead front sight. The dilemma: no cheaters so I can see the target but not the sights, or cheaters so I can see the sights but not the target.

Arrogance got the better of me and I ignored my training. 38 Spec FMJ to start. No cheaters, saw the target clearly, missed the target clearly. Put on the cheaters to see the sights, MUCH better group. Adjusted the rear sight up because I was shooting low. 8 out of 9 in 3", I'm okay with that for the first day.

A4137EBC-BE6F-493A-80E6-BF61C84D5A38.jpeg

Found some 125 gr JSP .357 Mag cartridges and tried again, same distance. Again, not bad for the first day, 7 out of 8 hit the 3" target with 3 in the bull. And yes, I'm counting the shot at 2 o'clock because it creased the edge of the target. It's my thread. Sue me.

6EB6C2C5-7B2A-42F5-8DEE-6B35B2B8C3F0.jpeg

I forgot how much fun pistol caliber carbines are. No recoil at all with the 38 Spec, not much with the 357 Mag. And those 125 gr JSP are no joke.

8CE8D13C-38EE-4C17-8EFB-75619B49C8C0.jpeg

Thanks again rywal302.

P

I have the 20" blued steel version. I load 158 gr. RNSP lead bullets with shotgun powder (Red Dot or Alcan AL5) to just over 1000 FPM for plinking. I call them "putt-putt" loads. Very quiet and no recoil at all. I use .357 brass so I don't leave powder in the chamber area. I could get an extra round or two in the magazine if I used .38 Special brass.

I also load 125 gr. JSP to about 2100 FPS. Same performance as you are getting. I don't try for maximum velocity because the accuracy is fine and performance is excellent., I figure 75 yards point blank range, but could go 100 yards with a hold-over.

My big complaint with the gun as delivered is that it ejected the empties into Low Earth Orbit! I wound new ejector springs of various diameter wire. I tried the weakest first, and it drops the empty beside my right foot every time! They barely clear the action wall, but never, ever fail to make it out and onto the ground. It makes it very easy to police up my brass.

I have the blued version. very fun to shoot! I replaced the safety with a peep sight from Steve's Guns. Helps my old eyes quite a bit.

I like the ladder sights on pistol caliber carbines that are lever actions.

Enjoy it, I have the same carbine that I bought new. The action was a little stiff at first but smoothed out some after use. I bought another one used and chambered in 44-40 and the action on that one is very light and smooth. I believe the action was reworked. I haven't tried shooting the 357 for groups yet. It's fun to plink steel with though.

I got my daughter the same rifle. Skinner rear replaced. Safety deleted. Able to hit 2" steel at 80yds without holdover. Watch for barrel leading with cheap cast ammo. Mine took a lot of effort to get clean.

1CB487ED-1A5A-46AF-BF90-927BB5DE515B.jpeg

The new side gate Henrys are hard to find.
Yea I hear this often.

Heck when I was looking for a Henry .357 (before they made steel) they were equally hard to find - and I got incredibly lucky when I found mine locally.

Kind of 'rules out' the notion many have of lever actions having 'faded' from popularity and may only become 'popular' once again if semi autos get banned, or some equal drivel.

I have the blued version. Tremendously fun little rifle. Wish the ammo costs were more in line with something like 9mm though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top