Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New to me Smith and Wesson model 28

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by andy*, Jun 12, 2010.

1. andy*

andy* Everson Wa Member

Hello all, I just traded for a Smith and Wesson model 28. It has a 4 inch barrel and blued finish. Grips are wood with checkering and a diamond in the middle.
    Barrel is pinned. 5 screw frame. The cylinder is recessed. Marked on the right side of the barrel : .357 over CTG HIGHWAY over PATROLMAN. Serial # is S121XXX. No model # on the inside of the frame, but is marked there with the # 351XX over the # 4.
    Sorry no pictures, no camera.
    This is my first Smith and Wesson. I was wondering if anyone knew when this was made? Thank you, Andy

2. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

According to my book Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, your gun was made in the years of 1954-55. Probably 1955 due to the actual serial#.
    Hope this helps.:thumbup:

3. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your trade. That particular model is my favorite all time revolver albeit mostly for personal reasons.

4. andy*

andy* Everson Wa Member

Hey Magnum, Thanks for the info on the date. Nice to know when something was made.

ogre, I think I did pretty well on the trade too. I shot the gun today and got it sighted in at 25 yards. After shooting, I can understand why this is your revolver. Andy