JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've wanted a #1 with a 26" barrel and in 30-06 caliber for a long time and finally found one. I put a Nikon 3x9 scope on it and rolled up some 165gr Hornaday soft points then took it to the range. I zeroed 2" high @ 100yds and my group size is about 1". The only draw back is loading can be a bit of a pain having to slide the cartridge in under the scope. I think this is more of a bench shooting issue, in the real world I can drop the muzzle a bit and the cartridge will drop right in. I like it a lot and it kicks way less than my .338 so it will get shot more for fun.

26" barrel would be a lot of fun for good handloads. Should be able to generate some high velocity. Do you have a chrono?

I've got a #3, in 45-70. Sweet little rifle. Made 1976, when Ruger was having some good runs. Shoot only cast in it, 350's and 405's. Can't seem to get better than 1moa with it. Sure is fun, though!

The #1 has always been one of my favorite rifles. Though I've never shot one, I would love to own one as I think they are a very classy looking rifle. Please post some pics and continue to update us with the range reports....

thanks, simon99

always admired them also, classic looks and, well, built like a Ruger!! solid and dependable!! From what I've heard 1 moa is pretty usual, after all it's a hunting gun.

Thanks for the offer Stavros, no shooting for me this weekend got family stuff going on. I do have loads made up to test out in both the #1 and Sig 1911so need to get out soonish.

I'm thinking of spending the the early part of the day at Emerald Empire Friday 12/27, I'll be testing some hand-loads in the #1. I'll bring the 338 Winny, and a few pistols as well. Anyone else want to make a day of it?

Well I took the #1 30.06 and a Browning A-bolt in 338 Win Mag to the range yesterday. I'd put a new scope on the A-bolt and needed to re-zero it, as well as shoot a couple reloads for group. I'm happy to report all went well. Shot the #1 next I'd made up some 175gr 180 gr and 150 gr loads. The 175ers are Nosler match bullets but shot a 2" group and the 180's are Hornadays and shot a 4" group. Both of those loads need some work. The big surprise was the 150's. I'd bought some 150gr Hornaday RN's and then found out they are for 30/30's, called Hornaday and they said I could shoot them at 30.06 velocties but they would expend their energy rather quickly on impact at less than 300 yds. OK, I guess I'll use them on critters I don't want to eat. Any way they shot 5 rounds in a ragged hole about the size of my thumbnail.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top