Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New to me Ruger #1 range report

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by oremike, Dec 1, 2013.

1. oremike

oremike Creswell, Oregon Well-Known Member

I've wanted a #1 with a 26" barrel and in 30-06 caliber for a long time and finally found one. I put a Nikon 3x9 scope on it and rolled up some 165gr Hornaday soft points then took it to the range. I zeroed 2" high @ 100yds and my group size is about 1". The only draw back is loading can be a bit of a pain having to slide the cartridge in under the scope. I think this is more of a bench shooting issue, in the real world I can drop the muzzle a bit and the cartridge will drop right in. I like it a lot and it kicks way less than my .338 so it will get shot more for fun.

2. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

26" barrel would be a lot of fun for good handloads. Should be able to generate some high velocity. Do you have a chrono?

3. oremike

Nope, no chrno but the load is 58.0 grs of Accurate Arms 4350, with extrapolating the data it should be around 2900 fps.

4. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I would love to have one in .308. A friend in MI uses one and swears by it.

5. biker bo

biker bo Myrtle Creek Active Member

I had one in 257 Roberts and 280 rem. Sadly they are gone but I recently picked up one in 6 mm rem and a 26" pre warning in 25-06. The no 1s are great guns .

6. stavros4570

stavros4570 eugene,or. Member

I've got a #3, in 45-70. Sweet little rifle. Made 1976, when Ruger was having some good runs. Shoot only cast in it, 350's and 405's. Can't seem to get better than 1moa with it. Sure is fun, though!

7. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

The #1 has always been one of my favorite rifles. Though I've never shot one, I would love to own one as I think they are a very classy looking rifle. Please post some pics and continue to update us with the range reports....

thanks, simon99

8. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

I have one in 270 with a 22 inch barrel and its an excellent shooter

9. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

always admired them also, classic looks and, well, built like a Ruger!! solid and dependable!! From what I've heard 1 moa is pretty usual, after all it's a hunting gun.

10. stavros4570

I'm sure you are right, but hunting accuracy is never good enough for me. Hey, oremike, you are welcome to use my magnetospeed. I'm going up to the range today. How about you?

11. oremike

Thanks for the offer Stavros, no shooting for me this weekend got family stuff going on. I do have loads made up to test out in both the #1 and Sig 1911so need to get out soonish.

12. olyshoots

olyshoots Vancouver USA Member

Have a #1 BB in .22-250 that puts five shots in a dime at 100 yards.........Beauty of a gun.

13. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

Had one of those too and OMG that thing can kick like nothing else! That one has gone down the road and I've moved on to a No. 1 H in 458 Win. Mag. ...a lot less recoil!

14. stavros4570

I use a slip-on butt pad. Easy fix for the metal butt piece on mine.

15. oremike

I'm thinking of spending the the early part of the day at Emerald Empire Friday 12/27, I'll be testing some hand-loads in the #1. I'll bring the 338 Winny, and a few pistols as well. Anyone else want to make a day of it?

16. stavros4570

Sorry, I only shoot at the Izaak Walton range.

17. oremike

I've shot there before, but am not a member.

18. oremike

Well I took the #1 30.06 and a Browning A-bolt in 338 Win Mag to the range yesterday. I'd put a new scope on the A-bolt and needed to re-zero it, as well as shoot a couple reloads for group. I'm happy to report all went well. Shot the #1 next I'd made up some 175gr 180 gr and 150 gr loads. The 175ers are Nosler match bullets but shot a 2" group and the 180's are Hornadays and shot a 4" group. Both of those loads need some work. The big surprise was the 150's. I'd bought some 150gr Hornaday RN's and then found out they are for 30/30's, called Hornaday and they said I could shoot them at 30.06 velocties but they would expend their energy rather quickly on impact at less than 300 yds. OK, I guess I'll use them on critters I don't want to eat. Any way they shot 5 rounds in a ragged hole about the size of my thumbnail.