JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had two 4.75" tapered barrel Ruger .22's over the years. My first one was an old Standard that I had in the mid 1990's. The second was a Mk 2 I had about 15 years ago. I put low profile adjustable rear sights on them and they were fun, but got rid of them for some reason.

About 4 years ago, I got another low profile LPA fully adjustable sight purposely at a great deal/trade with the intension on putting it on a future gun. I actually wanted a 6" stainless Mark 2 standard but never got one. I came close on a 6" blued Mark 2 standard, but stopped short. Fast forward to last week and I bought this 1999 50th Anniversary Mk 2 with 4.75" barrel. It's engraved at the receiver and has a stainless bolt. It's in nice shape and was priced nice!

It didn't take long to install the LPA rear sight. I threw some nail polish on the front sight after these pictures and I will be on the hunt for an extra magazine or two as this gun inly came with one. I'm pulling out my leather as well and will make a holster this weekend. The pretty lady also needs a nice set of checkered wood grips. I'll take her out and shoot her, and report back soon!

C94957A4-7D73-45E0-8A3D-C4C2D80815A8.jpeg BF9E1DEC-DBC8-4EA8-A60A-170C64DB8DF9.jpeg F953A346-A510-47CD-8F88-C60DA2230D06.jpeg

Great score.
If you want to replace the plastic grips you can easily make some nicer ones with basic skills.
Here's mine I made from a teak plate I bought at the goodwill for a buck. No checkering, but it feels really nice in my hand.

IMG_2459.jpeg IMG_2460.jpeg

Great score.
If you want to replace the plastic grips you can easily make some nicer ones with basic skills.
Here's mine I made from a teak plate I bought at the goodwill for a buck. No checkering, but it feels really nice in my hand.

View attachment 1206790 View attachment 1206791
Very nice! I recently made a set of Cocobolo grips for my NEF R92, so maybe I will give it a shot on the Ruger too!

0A516C6D-6EA0-4186-A020-11BCF29FB116.jpeg

Some time in the late 70's my wife bought a MK1 with its adj sights and longer barrel.
I can't imagine being without it.
All of our kids learned to shoot with it, all of the daughter inlaws learned to shoot with it, and now the grand kids are learning. It was just a great design. DR

You might have trouble getting that sighted in properly since the adjustable rear sight is much taller than the factory one you replaced it with. Most likely the pistol will shoot high. These are fun guns to plink with! Enjoy.

You might have trouble getting that sighted in properly since the adjustable rear sight is much taller than the factory one you replaced it with. Most likely the pistol will shoot high. These are fun guns to plink with! Enjoy.
Thanks! The LPA sight is low profile and specifically made to work with the front sight from the gun. I've had this sight on two other Ruger Standards before and it works great.

Here is an ad that describes the sight.

Holster is in progress...wet molding it now. The fit was very tight, so unfortunately, some of the basketweave detail washed out a little. Should be dry enough to dye in a few hours. The shell dump pouch was something I whipped up pretty fast yesterday. The holster will be dyed the same.

994D9C97-C453-4FA5-99A1-90D2A8E392D5.jpeg 7D9285DC-76DB-4AEE-9994-7A03E16A876E.jpeg 9969A1EC-9221-42A3-BF48-EC1B198009EF.jpeg

I have shot the Mk II on 4 outings. It's just meh... I would prefer more weight at the muzzle. No wonder I sold the other tapered barrel Mk II's I've owned. Funny, I forget and buy one only to be disappointed.

I prefer the Buckmark. Maybe I'll get a different barrel for this Mk II to change the feel, or trade it off.

I have shot the Mk II on 4 outings. It's just meh... I would prefer more weight at the muzzle. No wonder I sold the other tapered barrel Mk II's I've owned. Funny, I forget and buy one only to be disappointed.

I prefer the Buckmark. Maybe I'll get a different barrel for this Mk II to change the feel, or trade it off.
If you get a longer non tapered barrel and Maybe some trigger work they shoot great. My dad started with the mark 2s and got all crazy to fully custom upper mark 4s. Depends on what your trying to seek in a pistol. Browning they shot nice but not a lot after market parts compared to ruger.

I have the mkII competition slab side and love it . Might want to look in to one of those or the 5in bull barrel. Their is a lot of em around on gunbroker so I imagine a decent size gunshow you can find one.