Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New-to-me firestarter technique

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by darkminstrel, Dec 3, 2011.

1. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Found this on a blog I follow.

JERMM'S outside: DIY Fire Starter Wafers

Looks like they'll stack up and store nicely in an empty Play-doh container. $.99 for the cotton and $2 for the wax most likely.

2. Longshot34

Longshot34 Moses Lake Member

My wife is a "prepper", she does the same thing with lint from the dryer and her old wax from her smelly candles.

Riot and (deleted member) like this.
  3. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

I do that as well and I bed it down in some egg crate as well, but in a pack it's bloody heavy. I like this wafer idea for hiking/BoBing.

4. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

dryer link placed in a egg carton, heat up some vaseline to liquidity, pour over, let dry and wala. fire starters, keep in a ziploc.

The above methods are great and thanks for sharing, they are good to know, but personally I went and bought a bunch of cases of fuel tablets.

You can just buy a whole bunck coghlans, esbit, trioxane or other fuel tablets online pretty cheap and toss them into your bugout, get home, survival kits or whatever you call you kit and be done with it.

5. Brown

Brown Saint Helens Member

I hear what you are saying and it's a valid point. Some of us like to make our own stuff though.

6. Both Eyes Open

Both Eyes Open Hood Canal Active Member

My old man has been using cotton balls with vasoline as a firestarter for years, I like the wafers better. Great idea, less messy. More easily organized. Thank you!

7. SB1027

SB1027 Ycounty New Member

I'm sure you've heard of this, a 9v battery shorted out on steel wool will start a hot fire really fast, then add some tender to put on it

8. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

I have used coiled cardboard that was saturated in candle wax. We used an old muffin tin or tuna cans as molds. Same principal.

9. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

I have actually field tested this and works great, but the finer the steel wool the better, I use the 0000 for best results