JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks I've been curious to try a hi power but all the ones I ever see are in older shape and I've never been able to actually shoot one.

Prices pretty fair or are they all like $1k+?
Well if looking for one at a "good price" this is certainly not the time. Looks like the OP bought his from a widow so sure he gave her a real good price as it was nice to be able to do so to help her out and get a great pistol.
After this panic is over they will again be around for the same kind of money you would spend on a nice 1911. Like any good hand gun if you buy one, later decide its not for you, it will be easy to find it a new home as people are always wanting one.

What do you guys think? My Dad is a big fan of the Hi Power and I always kind of ignored them. Then I decided I should have one, just because my Dad enjoys them and I figured it was another thing we could enjoy together.

I wanted a gun I could shoot and carry, so I went with a MkIII vs some of the older models because of the better sights (dovetailed for when I decided to switch them for Novaks), larger ambidextrous safety, and a drop safety. The grips that came off this gun were rubber Hogues, so I bought a set of rosewood grips.

View attachment 815326
I like the Browning Hi Power models with the larger adjustable sights. I had one of the original ones with small sights. It was a good gun. but I sent it off in trade for a Sig. I like the Sig better mostly because of the sights and it is also a 45.
The Hi Power is not well suited for plus P ammo because it has a two piece barrel/chamber, and running a lot of plus P ammo thru it can cause the barrel to seperate from the chamber. If you stick to standard pressure ammo it should last a lifetime. Overall a real nice handgun.

This is mine one that I get to shoot when I'm in the USA. It's a Portuguese Coast Guard-issue, so I'm told.
1611847852831.png

Beautiful Hi-Power, congratulations. I do not have one of those.

Mach 1 Imports from Tennessee had the Israel Police Hi-Powers listed on Gunbroker for a while. Some where in rough shape but they were decently priced. I kind of regret not getting one.

Tisas makes a gun called the Regent BR9 that gets favorable reviews.

I've been trying to find a Regent BR9 for a while. If anybody knows who has them in stock I would appreciate it.

I like the Browning Hi Power models with the larger adjustable sights. I had one of the original ones with small sights. It was a good gun. but I sent it off in trade for a Sig. I like the Sig better mostly because of the sights and it is also a 45.
The Hi Power is not well suited for plus P ammo because it has a two piece barrel/chamber, and running a lot of plus P ammo thru it can cause the barrel to seperate from the chamber. If you stick to standard pressure ammo it should last a lifetime. Overall a real nice handgun.
The sleeved chamber is just fine.. the slide will crack with heavy use on the MK-1's, not the latter models.