JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I haven't seen this before but it sure causes issues that my range brass included someone's Berdan primed 5.56. Cruising along with my Dillon 1100 and come to a screeching halt with a bent decapping pin, twice.... I think I have the feel for it now so I've pulled out several without a bent pin. Had to slow down a lot.

Thought I'd post because I'd never seen it before. I had to cut the case down so I could verify, here are pictures.

20200920_121543.jpg 20200920_121807.jpg

I've seen berdan primed 5.56 before, looks South African to me. There's not much of it left around anymore. Most of it was shot up years ago after it was brought in as surplus.

I guess the ammo shortage brought it into play. Glad to hear it's not common as it's a drag when you have a bucket of brass to process. Really don't want to sort by head stamps ya know:D

I guess the ammo shortage brought it into play. Glad to hear it's not common as it's a drag when you have a bucket of brass to process. Really don't want to sort by head stamps ya know:D
Unfortunately, that's the only way to be sure. I had to go through 5 5 gallon buckets of mixed brass ( I shot a lot of surplus 308 and 223). It took a week of evenings but got all the Berdan stuff out. All the Berdan and any bad/suspicious brass filled a 5 gallon bucket which I later sold at a salvage yard for $85.

Maybe I got lucky but I've sized 1- 1/2 buckets, (3-1/2 gallon buckets) of mixed head stamp brass and only bent the 2 pins. 4 more to go then all the rest are LC. So this is just a glitch. Sure wish I had thought of that possibility when I separated out all the LC for 300BLK and accuracy loads. I guess I get to have all that fun a second time to get rid of the unseen Berdan stuff. :eek::rolleyes: This is my first venture into mass reloading of range brass. Before I've always bought LC. I'll have to enlist the help of some of my un-loaders.

I always sort by head stamps but I do process all of my range pickups within a day or so after acquisition. I have a magnifying lamp that helps a lot.;)
I guess I could be considered anal about my brass processing and storage...:eek:

53FA7DDD-828D-47D0-B602-2801F789DC99.jpeg

Last Edited:
Missed a berdan primed 9mm once but caught it as I was not 'heavy' on the handle of the press!

I once 'hydraulically' deprimed a bunch of Berdan 9mm to prove to myself it could be done - a fun, one time only waste of an hour or so!

Missed a berdan primed 9mm once but caught it as I was not 'heavy' on the handle of the press!

I once 'hydraulically' deprimed a bunch of Berdan 9mm to prove to myself it could be done - a fun, one time only waste of an hour or so!
Yeah
I did that too plus drilling out the primer pocket but never could get it get that right at least to my satisfaction. Interesting exercise and/or a colossal waste of time.

Well I sorted that bucket full and found enough to indicate someone shot up one of their old loaded magazines. Just under 30 of the same headstamp.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews