New to me....Berdan primed 5.56

Reactions
I haven't seen this before but it sure causes issues that my range brass included someone's Berdan primed 5.56. Cruising along with my Dillon 1100 and come to a screeching halt with a bent decapping pin, twice.... I think I have the feel for it now so I've pulled out several without a bent pin. Had to slow down a lot.

Thought I'd post because I'd never seen it before. I had to cut the case down so I could verify, here are pictures.

20200920_121543.jpg 20200920_121807.jpg

OP
T
Reactions
I guess the ammo shortage brought it into play. Glad to hear it's not common as it's a drag when you have a bucket of brass to process. Really don't want to sort by head stamps ya know:D

GWS

Reactions
I guess the ammo shortage brought it into play. Glad to hear it's not common as it's a drag when you have a bucket of brass to process. Really don't want to sort by head stamps ya know:D
Unfortunately, that's the only way to be sure. I had to go through 5 5 gallon buckets of mixed brass ( I shot a lot of surplus 308 and 223). It took a week of evenings but got all the Berdan stuff out. All the Berdan and any bad/suspicious brass filled a 5 gallon bucket which I later sold at a salvage yard for $85.

OP
T
Reactions
Maybe I got lucky but I've sized 1- 1/2 buckets, (3-1/2 gallon buckets) of mixed head stamp brass and only bent the 2 pins. 4 more to go then all the rest are LC. So this is just a glitch. Sure wish I had thought of that possibility when I separated out all the LC for 300BLK and accuracy loads. I guess I get to have all that fun a second time to get rid of the unseen Berdan stuff. :eek::rolleyes: This is my first venture into mass reloading of range brass. Before I've always bought LC. I'll have to enlist the help of some of my un-loaders.

Reactions
I always sort by head stamps but I do process all of my range pickups within a day or so after acquisition. I have a magnifying lamp that helps a lot.;)
I guess I could be considered anal about my brass processing and storage...:eek:

53FA7DDD-828D-47D0-B602-2801F789DC99.jpeg

Last edited:

v0lcom13sn0w

Reactions
I always sort by head stamps but I do process all of my range pickups within a day or so after acquisition. I have a magnifying lamp that helps a lot.;)
I guess I could be considered anal about my brass processing and storage...:eek:

View attachment 755179
dang jim. i thought i had a lot of brass...i guess that only means 1 thing....you need to load more :):D

GWS

Reactions
Missed a berdan primed 9mm once but caught it as I was not 'heavy' on the handle of the press!

I once 'hydraulically' deprimed a bunch of Berdan 9mm to prove to myself it could be done - a fun, one time only waste of an hour or so!
Yeah
I did that too plus drilling out the primer pocket but never could get it get that right at least to my satisfaction. Interesting exercise and/or a colossal waste of time.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Seattle, WA, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom