JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Friends,

I'm currently drooling over the ruger precision, the savage Elite and possible the Christensen MPR. I am looking to go 300 win mag. my goal is to just do some target shooting, hopefully getting to distance some day. I'm brand new to this. What do you think of these rifles and is there another in the 1500-2500 price range that you would recommend?

Do you have a place you go shoot?

Shane

Can't help with the brands you selected, I'm a $600 Tikka guy, I wouldn't have the faintest clue on what to do with a $2,500 rifle. Probably just put it on the table and look at it.

Why did you choose the 300 Win Mag? How far do you plan on shooting? Do you reload or are you dependent on factory ammo?

P

A 6mm, 6.5mm or maybe a .270 makes more sense for target and "hopefully some day" longer distance. Less expense, better barrel life and much less recoil so you can keep scope on target.

Hi Shane,

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club over near Estacada allows up to 1,000yds, every Thursday. That's the longest club range I'm aware of in the greater Portland area.

They are even accepting membership applications ;)

All great rifles you have mentioned and will do the job just fine. Good glass, trigger time and learning wind is going to set you up for success. You could have positives and negative to everything from a flatter trajectory/ cuts wind a little better, barrel burning , weight, the list goes on and that's just the round it's self...

RPR , Tika T3 . Bergera hmr, Christensen all make solid rifles out the box. Have personally had time behind all. Again they all will do just fine and I think you would be pleased with whichever way you go.

I'm personally a big fan of GAP. If memory serves me correct the GAP PPR was right around the 2500 range so at the higher end of the budget.

However, most are short action:: Now GAP does make long action rifles as well. Starter rifle will be around that 2500 and they go up from there.

You might want to look around for something with little use .

As stated above I don't know if you plan to reload and if your dead set on 300wm .... If not it could open you up for a lot more possibilities.... If so just have to look around they are out there . If you are capped out at 2500 for a package / glass and all ; set on 300WM ... I think I would personally go with the b14 hmr and a decent piece of glass , NF SHV, maybe a used razor or something from Burris or Leupold.

Friends,

I'm currently drooling over the ruger precision, the savage Elite and possible the Christensen MPR. I am looking to go 300 win mag. my goal is to just do some target shooting, hopefully getting to distance some day. I'm brand new to this. What do you think of these rifles and is there another in the 1500-2500 price range that you would recommend?

Shane
years ago i started out with a rem 5r in 300 win mag. fast forward and i'm a 300wsm nut. my advice to someone starting is spend less on the gun and more on your optics. you'll want a good reliable repeatable rifle scope. the gun you'll upgrade and change but if you buy a top end scope you'll have it for a lot of years. i still love to shoot with my first nightforce nxs. 8-32. no high speed turrets or zero stop but it's a tank. nowadays i'd get something with around that magnification but with at least 90 to 100 moa, or corresponding mil, of internal elevation adjustment. also i good range finder is key. i bought a leica and have stuck with that brand through the years.
used optics from name brand companies are nice and can be had at fairly reasonable prices with a transferable warranty.

Few questions to get a better idea.

What is the longest distance you have shot thus far?

What did you use to shoot the above distance?

What rifles do you own already?

Do you reload?

What distances intrigue you?

Why? Difficulty?

How often do you see yourself shooting long distances?

Do you have reliable access to long distances for this sort of shooting?

After those I'll input some advice.

I have/had 3 RPR's. .308, 6.5CM, 300 PRC.

All shoot sub-moa with factory ammo. All shoot great at 1,000 yards. Ringing 3x3 steel is quite boring. I've had the PRC out to a mile.

You can't beat these rifles for the price IMO. Scope and chronographing speed are key.

My opinion, do not invest heavily in long range shooting without first getting your feet wet.

Look for a decent used rifle with a decent scope on it. I've seen some fairly good deals on used rifles, so hopefully you could find a decent platform that is supported by accurate factory ammo. I have seen many shooters have dropped out of the long range game for various reasons. If you decide to stay in long range shooting, you should be able sell your used equipment for what you initially invested and then upgrade.

Unless, I were a serious reloader, the 300 Win mag would not be on my list of calibers to consider.

I had many very experienced long range shooters tell me to get a .308 bolt gun and $1000 scope to start. I didn't listen, unfortunately. It would have been a smart proof of concept. Time and range access were my stumbling blocks.

If you are stuck on the magnum cartridge I would buy the elite and then bolt all the weight packs possible to the chassis until I had a 20lb rifle. Recoil tends to knock my rifles off target making it hard to spot impacts. The thought of launching heavy projectiles long distances is seductive but I always choose light recoil since paper and steel aren't threatening my life. Either way have fun and post pics of your rifle and groups.

I'd tell you to get a Tikka (caliber of your choice - I have a 300WM) and a Leupold Mark 5 5-25 with some quality rings.

Friends,

Shane
Lots of good questions for Shane.

Savage 10 FCP .308 and decent Scope, or Tikka T-3 .308 and decent Scope, take the time to LEARN this setup first, then graduate to more specific calibers as you build your skills! Several reasons for these two rifles, they are the lest costly to get into the game, and are far and beyond the other options for accuracy. They are as close to the M-40 and it's decades of performance data you can learn from and put to good use! .308 is gonna be the best option to learn with, and these two rifles will be the best bang for the buck in getting you there! My old arse 10 FCP is still the bench mark for all others in .308, and it still runs circles around a lot of so called better rifles! She ain't fancy, trick, or decked out all tacticool, but with the old Night Force NSX 3.5X15X50, she rings steal at 1600+ meters all day long, and has close to 3500 rounds down the pipe! My Tikka is a different caliber, so it isn't a fair comparison between the two, but it shoots bug holes across the canyon with zero issues! Wife's Tikka T-3 .243 box stock with older Redfield 4X12X44 is minute of squeaky dog all day long at most distances, and is sub moa off the shooting bench as far as she cares to shoot it!

Shane was on today at 4:08 pm, I wonder why he hasn't responded to any questions on his own post.

The world wonders.
Sorry friends, I've been wrapped up with softball all day.
So I jumped the gun a little and got the CA MPR chambered in 300 win. Went with the leupold mark 5hd 5-25x56 at many of yours suggestion.
Narrowly avoiding divorce and sleeping on the couch tonight.
I will try to respond later to your feedbacks tonight. Thank you all for your insight. Love the Tikka idea and juggled it for a long time. May still go that route too!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top