JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi Shane,

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club over near Estacada allows up to 1,000yds, every Thursday. That's the longest club range I'm aware of in the greater Portland area.

They are even accepting membership applications ;)
I will definitely look in to them!!! Thank you so much!!

Sorry friends, I've been wrapped up with softball all day.
So I jumped the gun a little and got the CA MPR chambered in 300 win. Went with the leupold mark 5hd 5-25x56 at many of yours suggestion.
Narrowly avoiding divorce and sleeping on the couch tonight.
I will try to respond later to your feedbacks tonight. Thank you all for your insight. Love the Tikka idea and juggled it for a long time. May still go that route too!
I think your going to enjoy that setup a lot and Congratulations.... You might have to wait on any accessories and invest in a good florist card and chocolates ... Would like to see pictures when it's all done up . Not sure if you have picked a set of rings or mount yet... Plenty of good ones out there though.

Okay, heres the deal...

I never had a chance to shoot past 200yds before...

Met up with some guys that do long range stuff and thought Id give it a go...

Ended up with a Savage Stealth in 300 WinMag... dead stock, no bells or whistles, etc. I dropped a $400 SWFA 16x42 scope on it.

I bought a bunch of PPU ammo on the cheap, used it to get things sighted in and went to work on my own handloads.

FIRST time out with the rifle past 100yds and I was on target at 950yds within 4 shots, with windage direction from a spotter...

But there it is.

Dont need top of the line gear, etc to get going, at all.

I was shooting a 200gr ELD-X bullet over (iirc) 57gr of 4831sc in 1x PPU brass

IMO thats damn good considering my utter lack of long range shooting.
Sure the guys I shot with can hit bubblegum at a mile... but theyve got some nice stuff... scopes that cost more than my whole kit, etc.. BUT..
As a total NoOb I was hitting consistently at a little over 1/2 a mile. It can be done.

1220201638.jpg

I started the same path you did but chose a .308 as I wasn't into reloading at the time. Then the panic hit and yada yada.

I decided then that a trainer would be a good idea, so I built a .22LR for that purpose. (Actually just got done with a second - was a fun project). Shooting is shooting, so if you find yourself unable to get to long ranges, out of big ammo, or with a sore shoulder, then I'd encourage you to build a trainer in whatever smaller caliber that suits your fancy to be able to continue training.

Nothing wrong with shooting 300 win mag in the right rifle. Not sure why so many are opposed to it. It's almost like no one ever shot distance until the creedmoor showed up.
It's not like I'm opposed, since cartridge is a very personal choice. I'm recoil averse, so I was looking for a conversation that included a discussion on the pros of lighter-kicking chamberings that still met the OP's requirements.

Not a Creedmoor fan, either. 7mm-08 all day.

I started the same path you did but chose a .308 as I wasn't into reloading at the time. Then the panic hit and yada yada.

I decided then that a trainer would be a good idea, so I built a .22LR for that purpose. (Actually just got done with a second - was a fun project). Shooting is shooting, so if you find yourself unable to get to long ranges, out of big ammo, or with a sore shoulder, then I'd encourage you to build a trainer in whatever smaller caliber that suits your fancy to be able to continue training.
300 yards or longer with a 22lr is, in my opinion, more challenging than shooting to 1k with a capable bolt gun in a centerfire cartridge. Not many understand the difficulty in such a thing and often disregard it as unworthy because 22 has such little recoil.

Nothing wrong with shooting 300 win mag in the right rifle. Not sure why so many are opposed to it. It's almost like no one ever shot distance until the creedmoor showed up.
Cause people are scared of recoil. My main bolt gun is a 300WM. Bought it after I sold my 6.5CM. Military has been running .308 and .300WM for a long time now. They get the job done with plenty of energy on the back end. People like the 6.5cm cause it's easy and has little to no recoil. If I was shooting competitions I would want a lighter recoiling rifle. But that's not what I am doing with my .300WM.

It's not like I'm opposed, since cartridge is a very personal choice. I'm recoil averse, so I was looking for a conversation that included a discussion on the pros of lighter-kicking chamberings that still met the OP's requirements.

Not a Creedmoor fan, either. 7mm-08 all day.
My REM 5R with muzzle break, Razor gen ll and suppressor weighs in at 17lbs so recoil is very tame with the 300wm. I'm a 7mm-08 fan as well

Cause people are scared of recoil. My main bolt gun is a 300WM. Bought it after I sold my 6.5CM. Military has been running .308 and .300WM for a long time now. They get the job done with plenty of energy on the back end. People like the 6.5cm cause it's easy and has little to no recoil. If I was shooting competitions I would want a lighter recoiling rifle. But that's not what I am doing with my .300WM.
I understand the concern about recoil. My old 300wm was an m77 that was extremely harsh on recoil.

300 yards or longer with a 22lr is, in my opinion, more challenging than shooting to 1k with a capable bolt gun in a centerfire cartridge. Not many understand the difficulty in such a thing and often disregard it as unworthy because 22 has such little recoil.
A large part of distance centerfire and milking every ounce of accuracy out of the gun is reloading for your gun. Not being able to do this with .22LR could be a turn off for some. It's perfectly possible to get all your shots sub MOA except for those 2 goddamn fliers...and you just have to ignore them.

My own shooting obsession is the time between the shot and the steel ringing. It's already discernible at 100 yards with a .22LR and subs, even better at 200 yards and further. Sure, the same occurs at long distance with centerfire but I also don't have access to those distances as easily as I do 600 yards and in.

I only have 1 real nice scope, so I yanked it off my DMR AR for a bit for this trainer. Sure, it's not everyone's cup of tea - but I like it. I'm not sure about the weight, but she's a stout girl. I am very much looking forward to swapping that break-as-a-thread-protector for a can when it gets out of jail.

IMG_9938.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads