JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey y'all, so I pulled the trigger on a Baofeng UV-5R+Plus. I honestly had no intention of really using it beyond "incase of emergency" but I've been ONLY listing to some ham channels and have been really intrigued with the capabilities of it, as well as getting in touch with like minded folk.

THAT BEING SAID!!
I've decided to take the class to get my certification and become a operator!! I need your help. I've heard it takes about 8-10 hours of study to get the info I need. I'm not scared of that but I want to use my time wisely as it is very valuable to me in this time of my life. WHERE is the best place to study? What worked for you guys? I'd like to go a cheep route as money is going to different areas of preparations. But I'd take some recommendations on cheaper things that will help me in this process.

Thank you all for your knowledge and willingness to help me in this new endeavor.

Hey y'all, so I pulled the trigger on a Baofeng UV-5R+Plus. I honestly had no intention of really using it beyond "incase of emergency" but I've been ONLY listing to some ham channels and have been really intrigued with the capabilities of it, as well as getting in touch with like minded folk.

THAT BEING SAID!!
I've decided to take the class to get my certification and become a operator!! I need your help. I've heard it takes about 8-10 hours of study to get the info I need. I'm not scared of that but I want to use my time wisely as it is very valuable to me in this time of my life. WHERE is the best place to study? What worked for you guys? I'd like to go a cheep route as money is going to different areas of preparations. But I'd take some recommendations on cheaper things that will help me in this process.

Thank you all for your knowledge and willingness to help me in this new endeavor.
several online sites that have practice/study tests and questions for the first level test. you will want to invest a lot more than 10 hours. keep taking the online test until you can score 80% or better EVERY time, then you will be ready to take the real test, through your local ham group or the lds church group.

you take a test for the Technician License. They can opt to let you take the next level test at that time too. I too am prepping for the HAM test. I bought a study book that supposed to get you 90% there. then take practice tests that are available online. There is a local club here that tests the first saturday of every month, except June. so you just give them a heads up you plan to show up at a particular testing event. and go ahead and apply at the FCC website for your FRN number. You'll need it anyway for them to submit your paperwork for the Technician License. If you are at all technical, the stuff isn't that hard just using a study book. I study better alone. Some people study better with others. Good luck !!

There are iOS apps available for practice testing, "HRE-Technician" (free) and "HAM Free" (6 test sections free). There may be app store versions as well. I found the HRE app to be pretty good for the practice tests, but it's tough to beat the ARRL License Manual study book for actually learning the material. I used one that was 2 cycles old, and because the core material doesn't change (just the current test questions pool), still easily passed the Technician test.

As for the Baofeng, it's the only radio I have, but I fiddle around making different antennas. :)

The very best on-line site for ham radio information is qrz.com. You can find their Technician Class practice exams here, but check out the whole site, expose yourself to aspects of amateur radio beyond the practice exams.
(BTW, there are many international "Q codes" used to aid radio communication despite language differences. The qrz.com web site takes it's name from the Q code "QRZ?" meaning, "who is calling me (or my station)?". "QRZ", without the question mark means "you are being called by ________".)

I also recommend checking out the ARRL web site. The American Radio Relay League is the largest & oldest organization representing & lobbying on behalf of U.S. amateur radio operators.

www.hamexam.org.
They have the current pool of test questions available free online. The test questions and format is the same that is on the exam. Keep taking the practice tests. They tell you what you got correct and wrong. As an added bonus, you end up learning as you go along. Passing the test is the easy part as is any repetitive study for a multiple choice test. It would behoove you though to take some time to learn about what they are talking about on the test. As far as actual radio etiquette, listen in to the repeater traffic in your area. Go on ARRL's website http://www.arrl.org/on-the-air and get the nets schedule and listen to the regular week night nets that go on. You will hear proper protocols being used. Remember to keep things pro. People out a lot of time, money and effort into their ham comms. General respect on the airwaves is always appreciated and will go a long way. It's not like the CB wild west of the 70's and 80's.
Welcome to the community and good luck on your exam!

In addition to the above, which are very good sites, checkout hamtestonline. They have different ways to help you learn, charts your progress, and can tailor make the learning by alerting you to the subjects you're weak with.

Also find a local radio club, there should be people there to help you out.

If all fails, I'm available most any time. I'm also a Volunteer test examiner.

Hamtestonline.com or hamstudy.org, well worth the money. I used hamtestonline in conjunction with a phone app. I studied about an hour or two a night until i was passing at 90% at a minimum. It seems pretty complicated, and it is in the beginning. Just stick with it. You will want your General at a minimum because it allows you to get on HF, that's where the magic happens. Digital, SSB, CW so many avenues of interest. You might even decide to go for your Extra. It gives you extra bandwidth to get away from the common rabble;).

Take practice tests, but also understand the basic theory - don't just memorize the answers.

Understand basic DC electrical theory - it is fairly simple really.

Understand RF theory.

For any given question you don't understand, google and read about the theory behind it.

I paid to use this site and was VERY pleased with the learning format. It gave me six months' of online access to the study materials and practice tests, which automatically adapted to accommodate my strengths and focus on material and questions that highlighted my weaknesses. Your results may vary, but I would echo the person above who suggested that you should/will take more then ten hours to do more than pass it by rote. I tried to spend an hour or so on this site, a few evenings a week, for most of a season. I passed the test in person, no problem.

Josh

That's not a Ham Radio!!!

nterphone-for-ssb-HF-Transceiver-Dual-Band-Display.jpg

THIS is a Ham Radio:
MzMzMjQ1NQ.jpg
Antenna-Farm.jpg

:p;):):p

Google "HRE Tech"
Download the free app.
It has all 300 questions, Exactly As Written on the actual exam.
The actual exam randomly pulls 35 questions from this pool...
Study the questions (they break them down into sections...do a section a day for a few weeks and you'll do great). The answer to each question is hi-lighted. The trick is to ONLY read the correct answer.
When taking the test, you'll instantly recognize each correct answer.
Works great...I passed the exam for Technician easily.
Good Luck...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top