JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New guy here. Soon to be a gun owner and I'm going to purchase my first firearm after I learn as much as I can about gun safety and when I feel I'm ready for it. I'm glad I found this online community that is mainly on the PNW. Seeing how I joined June this year, I've been lurking around from time to time, reading and admiring people's work and experiences here.

Please excuse me, I don't know much about guns, the language, and their definitions. Don't worry, I don't play any FPS :s0112:

I'm mainly interested in a .22LR rifle, .22LR pistol, and a 9mm for self defence.

Thank you. The Ruger 10/22 is what I've been eyeballing, same for a glock 26 for ccw, and maybe a kimber solo or a ruger mk3 just for the heck of it.

While the Glock 26 is an excellent ccw, I think a new shooter is much better served with a Glock 19. Its true I dont know your needs or skill level, but a glock 19 is usually easier to shoot well, holds more rounds, recoils less, makes a fun range gun, makes a good nightstand gun and still makes an excellent carry piece.

I would also agree that a full size pistol is superior in every way except for trying to hide it. I carry a Glock 35 and a Glock 22 as my main CCW's. That sounds insane, but i can hit with them. I would carry the smallest pistol that you are comfortable and accurate with.

Just be aware that Glocks do not point well for all users. Their grip to bore angle is not the same as was figured out by John Browning back 100+ years ago. Be sure to handle several different pistols and see if the sights come up naturally "on target" for YOU, before making a choice...$$

I have no skill level :eek: Only gun I've shot was a flare gun and a marlin, but that was almost 10 years ago when i was a kid.

I did consider the G19, but the larger grip might make it print. I've read about g19 vs g26, and I prefer the g26. I'm not set on it because I haven't tried either guns yet, but I'm leaning more towards the subcompact as for now. I'll also take a look at other handguns, not just glocks. I've held an XD subcompact 9mm and I like the fit of it on my hands.

Just be aware that Glocks do not point well for all users. Their grip to bore angle is not the same as was figured out by John Browning back 100+ years ago. Be sure to handle several different pistols and see if the sights come up naturally "on target" for YOU, before making a choice...$$

Exactly! just make sure its FITS you.

I did consider the G19, but the larger grip might make it print.

I carry a g19 or g23 in an IWB (Inside the Waistband) holster all summer long in shorts and t-shirt and have never had a problem with printing. I'm not trying to steer you one way or the other. Just keep in mind the concealability of the g19/g23 always surprises people.

I carry a g19 or g23 in an IWB (Inside the Waistband) holster all summer long in shorts and t-shirt and have never had a problem with printing. I'm not trying to steer you one way or the other. Just keep in mind the concealability of the g19/g23 always surprises people.

I carry my G35 in a serpa holster most of the time. However I get rid of the t-shirt and wear a long button up shirt un tucked. At first I thought it was obvious, but I wore it at work for 3 days and no one noticed. Now I wear an external high rise holster most of the time. Never been called on it. You have to be looking for a gun to see one.

Just get whatever You will shoot often, carry often and are comfortable with.

Welcome to the forum. As you can see, you're going to get a lot of advice. For my part, I'd suggest finding a gun range that offers a handgun safety course and that lets you rent their guns, so you can get the feel of the different sizes and calibers.

Don't be surprised if the gun you buy first isn't perfect for you.

Welcome to the forum.

I am pretty much a noob compared to most people here. You will find excellent advice on these forums.

As for a .22 - I agree that you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. You can always put it in a kit to make it more tacticool if that is your thing. Easy to clean also.

welcome to NWF ! yup! it's happening, your going to get a ton of different ideas on a first gun ! i find that "fit & feel" is the first on my list , then i work around the other options . i think the OP's have it right though..... try and find a range that rents em, and go from there . enjoy yourself !!

steven

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads