JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been a member of a local indoor handgun range and just recently purchased my first shotgun to be used for sport trap shooting. I'm brand new to gun ownership and VERY much a beginner. I'm looking for tips on beginner-friendly and women-friendly gun shops and ranges, because I love shooting but don't know a lot about guns themselves. Also looking forward to reading through some of the forums, this site looks like it will be really helpful!

I makes me happy to see new people like you getting involved in the shooting sports.

I would look into some of the numerous female only gun classes. They really are nice for a beginner to grasp the basics without all of the macho testosterone filled gun nuts getting in the way. After that than keep educating yourself and have fun. I believe the marksman still offers a good class.

abrook,
I'm fairly new to gun ownership myself (last couple years). I think just being frank and honest with guys will get you far. I went to a gun show when I was very "green" and just kind of let some of the smaller table guys know I was new to guns. They were very helpful and asked what I was looking for and what I wanted to do with it etc. That was cool. Another thing I learned a TON from was this dude on Youtube that goes by the name Nutnfancy. I love that guy! He has several excellent videos and I watch his stuff for hours. Check him out.

I also just picked up my first shotgun for clay sports as well! I'm a member at Tri-county gun club down in Tualatin area. They have a pretty nice set-up there and they even have some classes you can take at the club. I'm going to shoot my first Sporting Clays tomorrow even though I've only had my shotgun for a week. I think they're pretty good about helping beginners out. Anyway, check out the price to join that place. For me, it seemed pretty cheap considering I could go use the facilities whenever I wanted to and I could shoot my own ammo. I know some of those indoor ranges only let you shoot their ammo and it's not exactly on sale!

Anyway, check out the Nutnfancy vids on youtube. There's a gun show this weekend at Expo Center. Go fondle guns and ask questions. They'll be happy to help you out. Hit me up if you ever want to check out TCGC. I'd be happy to take you on a tour and maybe even shoot a bit.

Have fun and be safe!

Welcome to the fun world of shooting stuff!!!
Trap is kinda fun! I go out with some of my coworkers from time to time.
We have a pretty cheap portable setup that we throw in the back of his blazer to take up in the woods.
We have a pair of the higher end cheaper, spring loaded pigeon throwers (no idea what they are called..) and strap them to their own quad tire (he had a spare in the rig and it worked one time), then set them on a card table to give them a bit of height.
We kinda look like a traveling circus when we get all set up, but we sure do have a LOT!!! of fun!

In the past the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club (ARPC) has offered classes for women, instructed by women. Nobody begrudged them for doing this either. They were friendly with everyone down there, I really miss it.

Other ranges may offer similar.

W/ re: to gun shops, there are some good reviews of local vendors on this 'site. As I'm sure you're finding out, there are lots of opinions when it comes to gear & techniques.. Keep in mind they are just that :s0114:

The internet is a great resource for basic questions. Just type any question into Google e.g., 'what is...' and hundreds of websites will pop up. YouTube is a great source of instructional videos.

Mostly just shoot often, and you'll quickly pick everything up. It's pretty straightforward stuff.

Welcome aboard!

Mitchell Sporting Clays Near Woodburn is a full tilt shotgun range with Clays Skeet and even pratical trail walks. You might give them a try for your shotgun questions. There web site is

<broken link removed>

under the instruction tab they list that they have both male and female instructors.

<broken link removed>

Welcome Abrook! You can learn a lot about firearms just by reading the threads. You will soon get sorting out opinion from actual fact. Few folks are as opinionated as gun hobbyists! Enjoy the site! Feel free to post questions!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top