JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My daughter was miffed when my first grandson learned to say 'tool' before saying 'mama.' She scowled at me and said, 'dad, this is your fault.' I just grinned and shrugged, and decided not to tell her I had already started working with him on 'gun.' True story, and ten years later she has forgiven me.

I too will shrug my shoulders & will exclaim that yes I did & will work harder to be the kids verbal mentor.:p:p:p

So I let the cat out of the bag the other night in the "Not enough goofy humor here" thread.
Due to seeing this pic.....
View attachment 402844
Yep, I'm gonna be a grandpa!!! First one.
Seeings as there is not really a "How to be a Grandpa for Dummies" book out there (or is there?) I'm gonna need some inside information because I be a newbie at this kinda stuff cause I lived 2,700 miles fom my parents.

Things I do know:

Learn to spoil said grandkid & be ready to feel great about it when you give them back to their parents.....:p:p:p:cool:

Be ready to receive emergency babysitting duty calls from said grandkids parents.:cool:

When baby cries or needs changing hand off to grandma or closest female in the house...:eek::eek::eek::p
Congratulations!!

Caveman Jim,

Again, congratulations ....... some kind of lucky little buggers they are!

I am not a grand parent, heck I don't even have any kids. However, I was a grandson and I can give my thoughts based on that.

Be yourself, love your grand kids. Yep, that's about it. That's what my grand parents did and I still miss them after over 30 years of them being gone. I got lots of great stories, but those were ours and I won't bore you with any.

Now go make some great memories and stories for you and yours. :s0155:

Congratulations!!

Many thanks GB.;)

Caveman Jim,

Again, congratulations ....... some kind of lucky little buggers they are!

I am not a grand parent, heck I don't even have any kids. However, I was a grandson and I can give my thoughts based on that.

Be yourself, love your grand kids. Yep, that's about it. That's what my grand parents did and I still miss them after over 30 years of them being gone. I got lots of great stories, but those were ours and I won't bore you with any.

Now go make some great memories and stories for you and yours. :s0155:

Grand parents are Gems all on their own merits, I'm surely missing mine for some 40 years.

Congratulations Jim..it is a wonderful world. Enjoy them when they are young, as they age it seems harder to maintain a closer relationship with them.

Thanks, I have seen that characteristic in real life with a friends family. It's heartbreaking to see but like anyting life goes very fast when yer young.:(:p I know from experience...:oops:

So I let the cat out of the bag the other night in the "Not enough goofy humor here" thread.
Due to seeing this pic.....
View attachment 402844
Yep, I'm gonna be a grandpa!!! First one.
Seeings as there is not really a "How to be a Grandpa for Dummies" book out there (or is there?) I'm gonna need some inside information because I be a newbie at this kinda stuff cause I lived 2,700 miles fom my parents.

Things I do know:

Learn to spoil said grandkid & be ready to feel great about it when you give them back to their parents.....:p:p:p:cool:

Be ready to receive emergency babysitting duty calls from said grandkids parents.:cool:

When baby cries or needs changing hand off to grandma or closest female in the house...:eek::eek::eek::p

You have a good basic handle on it Jim! Spoil 'em good! :D

Congratulations!
I never had kids of my own and when I first became a grandpa at 47 I didn't like the sound of the word "grandpa". A little less than a year later I became his daycare for a couple of months when I'd quit my job.

Those two combined made for the best thing I've ever done. His dad wasn't in the picture much at that time and I was the man in his life. These days he has his dad and step-dad involved in his life, but I still make sure to have him at least a couple of weekends a month. We started with bikes and balls, and while we still do that stuff, we build things, shoot guns and ride dirt bikes.

We have a granddaughter, too, and she's the cutest little "bugs-ear" I've ever seen. Sometimes we have both over for the night. Movies, popcorn and chocolate milk.

Teach them well, but play with them. They'll always remember that.

Congratulations. Grandkids are a lot of fun. I have a Grandson that just
turned 9. And a Granddaughter that is 11. Me and Grandma love spoiling
the Grandkids. We love having them spend the night. We get them when
they have a day off from school. When we do things together with them
it makes us feel young, like when are children were that age.:rolleyes: One
interesting outcome is our daughter really seems to appreciate us more.
I think it is the realization of how much work kids are.:D

As a new dad, there are a couple things I have figured out.

First, its an emotional time for the new mom. She will need her mother or mother-figure. The new dad and grandpas should be in support mode. So should the mother in-law on daddy's side. Unless your daughter makes it her business, she should stay on the sidelines.

Second, the time of crisis is not the time to give pointers unless you are asked. Having someone hover over you to critique your diaper changing methods is really annoying.

Third, If one of the parents has a seemingly pointless demand, who cares? My wife has particulars about raising her kid that my mother doesn't like. Problem is, its not my Mom's business.

As a new dad, there are a couple things I have figured out.

First, its an emotional time for the new mom. She will need her mother or mother-figure. The new dad and grandpas should be in support mode. So should the mother in-law on daddy's side. Unless your daughter makes it her business, she should stay on the sidelines.

Second, the time of crisis is not the time to give pointers unless you are asked. Having someone hover over you to critique your diaper changing methods is really annoying.

Third, If one of the parents has a seemingly pointless demand, who cares? My wife has particulars about raising her kid that my mother doesn't like. Problem is, its not my Mom's business.

Agreed, parents are initially in control and GP's seem to gently guide them until a certain line is crossed.... Been there done that bought the tee shirt with my parents....:eek:

Congrats to you and your wife with your new one.;)

Well fellow brothers and sisters in arms, the time is near for our new arrival to enter this world.
And if American Airlines hadn't screwed up our flights yesterday we would be there now for the special occasion.
As it stands now, we will be on a flight to (shuddering) Chitcago when it happens...:eek::eek::eek:

We will persevere though, like all the Cave clans do.;)

My grandkids say what happens at papa's house stays at papa's house. Their mom says no video game play for more than 20-min, so every 20-min they stop for a second, then resume playing...lol

We allow a fair amount of youtube and video game time here, but we also spend a lot of time at the park or school with baseballs, basketballs and footballs. We don't ride bicycles as much as we used to (although we are going to Ft. Stevens in a couple of weeks) but this morning we are headed out to ride dirt bikes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top