JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey looking for suggestions on what rig or bait to use for jetty and pier fishing. I know I could just do a simple Google search but I'd rather hear from some locals. That are willing to share.

Jigs are where it's at! Another local favorite is sandshrimp. PKyi uses 6" bass worms and does fine. People also like gulp sand worms for perch. Those are found deeper in the bays and along the beaches. Mostly jetty fishing these parts, only know of a few piers and they're pretty much only good for crabbing. I don't know where you're from, but it's not a huge deal around here.

3E666919-003D-4457-99B4-649ED6D81964.jpeg B10BBC2F-9B7D-451D-9108-C783A15690A6.jpeg
PS; caught yesterday.

Last Edited:
Depends on the day. What does the sky look like, what's the weather doing, what does the water look like, weather before... Etc. Best bet is take a variety of different colored jigs, worms work great too. Depends on water conditions, and what food is out there. What jetty are you fishing? That's probably the most important for good advice.

Gulp worms are good for any saltwater fishing, especially from the beach for sea perch. There's a great video about using them, rigs, etc. at:
I know you can order them at Amazon, and they may be available at Fisherman's Marine.

In over 60 years of fishing in Oregon (I once was the fishing editor for an NW outdoor sports publication) I can say definitively that the absolute best bait for surf/jetty fishing USED TO BE live kelp worms (sometimes called pile worms)...dark, centipede-like creatures that live in mussel beds. I've stood on the jetty at Yaquina Bay and pulled in fish after fish when no one else caught a thing, using them. Once, my cousin and I fished from the rocks at Short Sands Beach and caught a perch or flounder every single cast for four hours using them; we filled a good-sized tide pool with perch (which washed out unharmed when the tide came in). Unfortunately, mussels are now protected and you can't scrape them off the rocks to get at the kelp worms. I've often thought that there should be some way to use something like an electric worm-getter to force the kelp worms from the mussels without harming the mussels, but I'm too lazy (and old) to make/try one. If interested in trying yourself, go to: electric worm shocker - YouTube

You can see a live kelp worm in the first 2 minutes of this YouTube video; the video also shows fishing with gulp worms:

YouTube will provide you with many hours of advice for virtually any type of fishing, even by specific location.

Good luck, and come back here and post some pictures of your catches.

Max

Gulp worms are good for any saltwater fishing, especially from the beach for sea perch. There's a great video about using them, rigs, etc. at:
I know you can order them at Amazon, and they may be available at Fisherman's Marine.

In over 60 years of fishing in Oregon (I once was the fishing editor for an NW outdoor sports publication) I can say definitively that the absolute best bait for surf/jetty fishing USED TO BE live kelp worms (sometimes called pile worms)...dark, centipede-like creatures that live in mussel beds. I've stood on the jetty at Yaquina Bay and pulled in fish after fish when no one else caught a thing, using them. Once, my cousin and I fished from the rocks at Short Sands Beach and caught a perch or flounder every single cast for four hours using them; we filled a good-sized tide pool with perch (which washed out unharmed when the tide came in). Unfortunately, mussels are now protected and you can't scrape them off the rocks to get at the kelp worms. I've often thought that there should be some way to use something like an electric worm-getter to force the kelp worms from the mussels without harming the mussels, but I'm too lazy (and old) to make/try one. If interested in trying yourself, go to: electric worm shocker - YouTube

You can see a live kelp worm in the first 2 minutes of this YouTube video; the video also shows fishing with gulp worms:

YouTube will provide you with many hours of advice for virtually any type of fishing, even by specific location.

Good luck, and come back here and post some pictures of your catches.

Max
There is a harvest limit of 72 mussels per day, so hopefully that would suffice for collecting kelp worms. A shellfish license is required. Great tip tho, I'll have to try it when I have more time at the coast. I've done okay with live sand worms as well, but never tried kelp worms.
Be careful collecting sand worms, some are 3' long and bite...
:s0155:

Lucky you! Sometimes there's great crabbing in the bay. Fishing from the south side jetty was always good for me, and perch fishing from the beaches can be great, at times. The nearby municipal wood pier, not so much. The last time I tried crabbing from the pier, sea lions stole our bait and tore up our crab nets. There was a smaller pier further east, where we did well on crabs...don't know if it's still there. Check Google Earth to see other possible spots. Check in at Harry's Bait & Tackle or Englunds Marine for advice and gear.

FYI: Some people don't believe it, but bay dungeness crab is much better than ocean dungeness crab...something to do with being in brackish water, I think. And don't turn your nose up at red rock crab; I find them quite tasty, and the limit is 24, any size, any sex.

There's a way to fish for crab using a 'snare' that you cast from a rod and reel. Check out the below video.

Thanks for the great advice. I've actually never tryed a red crab. But looking to get some pots for the kids I hear they are delicious. I'm originally from the east coast. All blue clawed there. So I am looking forward to it.

Lucky you! Sometimes there's great crabbing in the bay. Fishing from the south side jetty was always good for me, and perch fishing from the beaches can be great, at times. The nearby municipal wood pier, not so much. The last time I tried crabbing from the pier, sea lions stole our bait and tore up our crab nets. There was a smaller pier further east, where we did well on crabs...don't know if it's still there. Check Google Earth to see other possible spots. Check in at Harry's Bait & Tackle or Englunds Marine for advice and gear.

FYI: Some people don't believe it, but bay dungeness crab is much better than ocean dungeness crab...something to do with being in brackish water, I think. And don't turn your nose up at red rock crab; I find them quite tasty, and the limit is 24, any size, any sex.

There's a way to fish for crab using a 'snare' that you cast from a rod and reel. Check out the below video.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top