JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
also learn how to tie a nail knot to attach line to hook as that will save lots of lost fish.

Ummmm, you sure you meant to say a nail knot? AFAIK, a nail knot is used to tie two lined together, just as a blood knot is... for example two lines of a different weight, or a fly line and a leader.

Agree with guided smallmouth river trip... 100+ fish!!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OP,
Yeah, granny knots won't work.

Perhaps the most used knot is the Improved Clinch Knot... also known as the Fisherman's Knot (I think) for monofilament. When using high tech line such as Spiderwire, a Palomar Knot is needed to keep the line from slipping thru the eye of the hook or lure. These knots are a must, and easy to learn via diagrams or YouTube.

Learning how to tie a loop into a bottom weighted line is useful for using pre-snelled bait hooks that some with loops on the end of a short leader. A double overhand knot works fine for this.

The polomar knot is easy and it works on braided line and mono line .
And can be used for all different things swivels hooks so on and so on.
So that is a knot that everyone should learn

Ummmm, you sure you meant to say a nail knot? AFAIK, a nail knot is used to tie two lined together, just as a blood knot is... for example two lines of a different weight, or a fly line and a leader.

Agree with guided smallmouth river trip... 100+ fish!!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OP,
Yeah, granny knots won't work.

Perhaps the most used knot is the Improved Clinch Knot... also known as the Fisherman's Knot (I think) for monofilament. When using high tech line such as Spiderwire, a Palomar Knot is needed to keep the line from slipping thru the eye of the hook or lure. These knots are a must, and easy to learn via diagrams or YouTube.

Learning how to tie a loop into a bottom weighted line is useful for using pre-snelled bait hooks that some with loops on the end of a short leader. A double overhand knot works fine for this.
I always use this one which I call a nail knot. Maybe that's the wrong term for it I dunno.
5B12EBD5-4698-4CD1-AC6F-5BFD7703F300.jpeg

I always use this one which I call a nail knot. Maybe that's the wrong term for it I dunno.
View attachment 649646

Ah, the one you circled is called a uni knot. You can tie a hook or lure on with it, or use it to join lines together. The nail knot is used to connect fly line to a leader - and is facilitated by using a nail or needle to make wraps over, then fish the tag end of the line under said wraps to secure the hole thing in place. The needle knot variant uses a needle to run the leader thru the core of the fly line, helping lock it in place.

Ah, the one you circled is called a uni knot. You can tie a hook or lure on with it, or use it to join lines together. The nail knot is used to connect fly line to a leader - and is facilitated by using a nail or needle to make wraps over, then fish the tag end of the line under said wraps to secure the hole thing in place. The needle knot variant uses a needle to run the leader thru the core of the fly line, helping lock it in place.
Ah good to know thx!

When I took my little nieces fishing, we went after blue gills with light rods. They'll eat pretty much anything a trout will, and can be pretty aggressive. I still fish for them on occasion, but I use a 3wt, the little one's feel huge. Catching fish keeps them wanting to go fishing even more. They'll learn eventually that it's not called catching, but by then it will be too late! :)

BTW - I'm almost 50 now, and I still love going fishing with my dad. I wouldn't give up those memories for anything.

Palomar knot, Improved Clinch Knot, and the No Slip Monofilament Loop Knots are the 3 best, most commonly used fishing knots
I would replace your improved clinch with a uni knot, since it can be used to attach lines together and gives great action to lures.

I'm a clinch knot hater tho... lost too many good fish using that knot (mostly as a kid).

I would replace your improved clinch with a uni knot, since it can be used to attach lines together and gives great action to lures.

I'm a clinch knot hater tho... lost too many good fish using that knot (mostly as a kid).

Thats why I go improved clinch - the standard clinch doesn't work great with fine diameter lines. The improved clinch adds a bit of security. When I remember how to do it, I actually prefer the Davy knot for thin lines and tippets, but I only started using that knot a couple years back. Another clinch variant I like is the Dry Fly Clinch knot - and I typically fish it, as the name implies, with dry flies. It seats the knot IN the eye of the hook, making the presentation a lot smaller. Never broke that version off on a fish.

Uni knot is a pain in the azz to tie compared to an Improved Clinch Knot and provides no extra benefit. Want good lure action? ... Use a Palomar knot! :p:D

The improved clinch is a knot every fisherman should know, but I'll have to learn those other two versions.
Also, the uni is easy for me, so I use it a lot while fly fishing. I like the extra movement it gives to flies over the improved clinch.

The improved clinch is a knot every fisherman should know, but I'll have to learn those other two versions.
Also, the uni is easy for me, so I use it a lot while fly fishing. I like the extra movement it gives to flies over the improved clinch.

Hard to beat a Palomar for flies. But to each his own. :)

I have some of those slip-on S hook thingies I use for wet-flies... just tie them on the leader like you would a normal snap and then you can' easily change out flies... I can hear the dry fly guys groaning!!! :D

Zs7fAY16MQg2B_GKEbeRYjt9aNGkq8I-EAI6gw_68&usqp=CAc.png

Hard to beat a Palomar for flies. But to each his own. :)

I have some of those slip-on S hook thingies I use for wet-flies... just tie them on the leader like you would a normal snap and then you can' easily change out flies... I can hear the dry fly guys groaning!!! :D

View attachment 649913
The palomar is a knot I use for serious hold, I use it almost exclusively while bass fishing.

The palomar is a knot I use for serious hold, I use it almost exclusively while bass fishing.

Since I use a lot of Spiderwire when bass fishing, the Palomar is a must, an Improved Clinch will slip right out. It's also great for when a snap or a snap-swivel with kill the action of a lure or when using a soft bait.

You ever use a Turle knot or a Davy knot for flies... the Davy knot looks really easy:

228.jpg

Since I use a lot of Spiderwire when bass fishing, the Palomar is a must, an Improved Clinch will slip right out. It's also great for when a snap or a snap-swivel with kill the action of a lure or when using a soft bait.

You ever use a Turle knot or a Davy knot for flies... the Davy knot looks really easy:

View attachment 649926
I have tied them, but never given them credence over the other knots I mentioned. I just don't think they'll hold as well.

Trilene knot, Palomar, and simple double cinch knot's or a Sheep's bend knot, are about the best general knots you would ever need to use! Outside of those, a Blood knot or Nail knot are also very handy to use!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top