JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Watch some videos on YouTube,learn to tie a good knot. Find a place that has a lot of bluegill for the little one. When I moved to Oregon I had only been fishing with my dad a dozen or so times. Didn't have pole or anything when I got here. I stopped down at a local store and picked up a kit that had a pole and reel all ready to go.it came with some baits and jigs. I just used a bobber and worms for awhile till I read, watches videos and talked to people. That was about 6 years ago and I'm still learning quite a bit.i mostly stick to local ponds and just bank fish. There's a app called Fishbrain,it's free to use but you can pay for more options but I don't think there needed for a beginner or someone who's not fishing all the time. Anyways it'll show you local spots and people can upload there catches.its a hood way to find out what's around and what ponds,lakes and rivers are around along with what's been caught out of them. I like it for checking out new spots. Hope some of this helps. Also my kid has a lot of fun with spinner baits more then just watching a bobber float around.

Ummmm, you sure you meant to say a nail knot? AFAIK, a nail knot is used to tie two lined together, just as a blood knot is... for example two lines of a different weight, or a fly line and a leader.

Agree with guided smallmouth river trip... 100+ fish!!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OP,
Yeah, granny knots won't work.

Perhaps the most used knot is the Improved Clinch Knot... also known as the Fisherman's Knot (I think) for monofilament. When using high tech line such as Spiderwire, a Palomar Knot is needed to keep the line from slipping thru the eye of the hook or lure. These knots are a must, and easy to learn via diagrams or YouTube.

Learning how to tie a loop into a bottom weighted line is useful for using pre-snelled bait hooks that some with loops on the end of a short leader. A double overhand knot works fine for this.

The polomar knot is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy!!!!

Kids vary in ability to cast and control a retrieve. OP will have to decide what his kid is capable of doing. :)

Sorry I should have said that. I definitely didn't give that to him first. He started off with a small iron man fishing pole from wal-Mart using a worm and bobber.We spent a majority of the first summer just dropping it into a little spot that was separated by a floating dock.

I found the perfect reel for a beginner .
Lol you might as well start off big or go home. Screenshot_2020-01-15_164320.jpg

I don't know man I just saw them and screen shot it lol .
700 bucks for a spinning reel that has no bail.
Im in going to Cabela's tomorrow.

Its pretty common for saltwater spinning reels not to have bails. Original spin reels didn't either. They really don't serve that big of a purpose.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top