JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I grew up in Tacoma myself, and went fishing maybe less than a dozen times in my life. Last year I moved to Lewis County (WA) and the way of life is a bit different down here. I have a son in kindergarten and he talks with his classmates about fishing with their dads and now he is asking me about fishing. It's a hobby I have been interested in but I really have no clue where to start. Walking down the fishing isles at the sporting goods shop or even Walmart is a bit intimidating with countless options.

Wanting to get involved with a kid is there really a best route to go? I would only be interested in freshwater fishing, but I am not even sure lake vs river and if one would be easier for a kid to learn? We don't have a boat so it would be shore fishing only.

Any pointers for a newbie with a little newbie tagging along?

Also wondering about cost, could I get us both decently outfitted for a couple hundred bucks or would that just end up being low end gear I regret buying in a year or two?

Thanks in advance!

Small mouth bass is an easy one. You can teach him fly fishing eventually, I've got a kindergartener myself, so not sure when I can teach her.

Last Edited:
Fishing isn't something you can learn on your own, because there are many decisions you need to make regarding gear, location, and methods that need to be suitable. It would best to find someone experienced in your area who show you how to do it. You just can't buy some gear and expect to catch fish. Why not reach out to the other dads? There is a free fishing weekend in both Oregon and Washington when you can fish without a license. An experienced fisherman in your area could take you fishing for hatchery raised fish on that weekend.

Last Edited:
First thing you need to do is get a Small fast action 2 piece fishing rod suitable for Trout and like sized fish!
Daiwa makes one of the best for any price, and would be a great set up to get you started!
DO NOT get a "kids" set up, instead, you do the casting for your little one until he/she is ready, and now you have a fishing buddy for life, and gear he/she can use for life! Help with the hook set and the reeling in, but let them do most of the "Work" :D
Many here can get you further equipped with basic gear and techniques and get you on the water and teach you all you need to know!

Without a boat you are really restricted in where you can fish. The first thing I would try is planted trout in local lakes. ODFW in Oregon will publish planting schedules early in the spring; Washington might do the same.. Hit those lakes after they get planted and it is pretty easy to catch some fish from the bank, a dock or fishing structure.

You can buy a couple inexpensive combo rod/reels at Bi-mart to get you started. Get some swivels, slip sinkers, small treble hooks and some rainbow glitter Powerbait and you should catch some trout. Just make sure the Powerbait floats...I will put a small corky on the line to help get it to float.

You should be able to get started for well under a hundred bucks. Those cheap combos will last a while. If you guys get hooked on fishing you can start upgrading over time in the next few years. I wouldn't dump a lot of money on this at first. Both of you might find fishing isn't for you. Often you will do a lot more fishing than actually catching and a lot of people grow bored quickly.

Trout fishing is the best way to start.
Look on the department of fish and game website.
Most of the time they will post when and what lakes they are stocking.
And they usually say how many fish and average size of the fish.
I don't worry about the fishing asle at Walmart.
To start out all you need is line start off with like 8 or 10 lb braided line or 10 lb monofilament.
And some hooks Berkeley power bait there is all different kinds of this but I like the power eggs with garlic sent.
Lol oh hell.
Here I will post a few videos that can tell you everything for fishing trout in the north west.

Patience is a must it comes with time .
Lol it's tough with a young kid .
So have fun. 10680.jpeg 9021.jpeg

EVERY THING EPS says is gold EXCEPT the line, and Ugly Stick rod/reel, Get some good 4 pound Mono ( Like Maxima Green) or co-polymer ( like Izorline) line and go for it!
Anything heavier then 4 pound and you will not feel a bite, and not catch fish that did bite, because you didn't feel it! Trout don't get all that big, certainly not 6 pound test big, and you want castability and line feel, and even small mouth bass would never stretch the limits of 4 pound line!

I have taught more young kids to fish then I can remember, Get them ( And your self) a real Rod and Reel and GOOD line, you will thank me later!
Also, get them their own small tackle box, and help them choose what to fill it with, get them vested in fishing, make it fun and exciting!
you don't have to spend a bunch on stuff, frankly it's not needed, but you will want the basics to get out there and have fun and have success!

Just a fair warning!
Buying fishing gear can turn into a ADDICTION.
before you know it you have like 8 fishing poles.
And this is just my trout fishing poles. MVIMG_20200110_234532.jpg

EVERY THING EPS says is gold EXCEPT the line, and Ugly Stick rod/reel, Get some good 4 pound Mono ( Like Maxima Green) or co-polymer ( like Izorline) line and go for it!
Anything heavier then 4 pound and you will not feel a bite, and not catch fish that did bite, because you didn't feel it! Trout don't get all that big, certainly not 6 pound test big, and you want castability and line feel, and even small mouth bass would never stretch the limits of 4 pound line!

I have taught more young kids to fish then I can remember, Get them ( And your self) a real Rod and Reel and GOOD line, you will thank me later!
Also, get them their own small tackle box, and help them choose what to fill it with, get them vested in fishing, make it fun and exciting!
you don't have to spend a bunch on stuff, frankly it's not needed, but you will want the basics to get out there and have fun and have success!
Well 10 lb braided line is the same as 4lb mono except stronger.
After the kid catch a few fish he can switch to the light stuff .
Nothing worse than a kid losing a fish because the line broke.LOL
I use 10 lb braided line.
But also use a 6lb or 8lb leader of florocarbon

Just a fair warning!
Buying fishing gear can turn into a ADDICTION.
before you know it you have like 8 fishing poles.
And this is just my trout fishing poles.View attachment 648817
TRUTH!
I bet I have at least that many in just light trout rods, and don't even get me started on Steelhead or Salmon, and FlyFishing, fuggaddaboutit, I got WAY W-A-Y to much invested there! And then there is Boats, I bet if I sold it all for HALF what I got into it all, I could buy a pretty OK house in Portland, or a really nice house in the valley, and still have cash in my pocket for a few kool toys! :eek::D:p:cool:

Well 10 lb braided line is the same as 4lb mono except stronger.
After the kid catch a few fish he can switch to the light stuff .
Nothing worse than a kid losing a fish because the line broke.LOL
I use 10 lb braided line.
But also use a 6lb or 8lb leader of florocarbon
Only problem with that is getting snagged, most nubes will break the rod before getting the line free or breaking it off!
Besides, braid is bad bad bad, nothing worser then getting hung up in some other dudes pile of braided line he broke off 15 years ago, or the hundreds of yards worth of others who also got hung up in that mess! Braid never goes away! Come on man, were trying to help here! :s0155:

I have Daiwa gear also .
I don't know his money situation.
But some of the fishing gear out there can be really exspesive.
I got this little kit.
It's Daiwa five piece pole and reel .
It wasn't too bad less than a 100 bucks but it can be kept in your car. MVIMG_20200110_234514.jpg MVIMG_20200110_234526.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top