JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a new ResMed C-PAP machine which has a low level of 8 output. 1. The air projected smells "stale". 2. My inhales are deeper than the C-PAP output meaning I feel like I am suffocating. 3. I can not endure more than one hour or so and fall half-asleep with this unit. 4. I think I recall about 20 interruptions per hour on one of the nights. 5. I sleep so much better with a snore rx in my mouth alone without the c-pap machine. 6. I have tried the c-pap machine with the snore rx mouth insert together. 7. Sleeping in my ventilated bedroom with fresh air with the snore rx is so much better than the c-pap. 8. I'd like to benefit from the c-pap machine but this is more suffering. I have cleaned the tubing within 7 days of the use and use distilled water. 9. I had several unfortunate days of feeling hung over when I used the c-pap machine and it was awful. Any ideas? What can I do to improve the c-pap machine performance?

Talk to whoever did your sleep study and they can tweak the settings for you.
A good comfortable fit of the right mask is critical; there are many choices out there. Once you get it right it will change your life.
I've got 8000+ hours on my resmed, and even take it camping/hunting.
Several variables to adjust; ramp time, high/low pressure,tube temp, etc.
Don't give up, you will be humming along in no time!
PM if you want, can tell you what helped me getting started.

I agree with what Reacher said and cant stress enough how important it is to talk with your sleep doctor about your concerns. It took me a few trips to my doctor to get the setting where I wanted/needed them to be and now I find it diffucult to sleep without my mask on and fresh air !:D

sounds like it wasn't adjusted correctly as stated. once I got mine I never sleep without it. I have the phillips Respironics and it adjusts automatically to my needs. I cant speak for the other brands as I have had only this one. also it could be your mask. I couldn't sleep with the full alien face hugger thing. I use res-med mask that uses the nasal pillows and has a small signature on my face.
It will save and change your life, I know mine did.

Sounds like a pressure adjustment is needed, and possibly ramp time. FWIW, I do not us the humidifier or heat. The air in my house is just fine the way it is.

Couple of thoughts...
1. Your cpap isn't setup correctly.
2. They didn't teach you about the ramp up.
3. Sleep appliances work for some. But here's a major issue. It changes your bite. Which will can cause major issues from cracked teeth to headaches. Dentists are screwing so many with those devices. Follow the money. It's a major money grab right now.
They can work for apnea with those with minor apnea.

It takes a min of 2wks to 20 days to get used to CPAP. Give it time, but it DOES seem as tho your settings need adjustment. The smell is probably just because it is new materials, it should get better.

Most of the challenge of CPAP is finding a mask that works for you... it is highly variable and requires some experimentation.

Note: If your sleep doc says you need CPAP therapy, you do need it... apnea is a serious condition and health risk. I've written about it before... apnea destroyed my life!!! I use CPAP so that it doesn't get worse. Please don't get to that point!!!

Takes a bit to get used to it. I've been using one for 10 years. Normal issue is you feel like you are suffocating at the start.

Thr body reacts negatively to air being forced down your nose.

It does take a while to adjust. I've been using a ResMed machine for almost 4 years now. It has absolutely improved my life. I recently talked my brother into getting a sleep study and he's been thanking me ever since.

I recall it took me about 3 weeks to adjust. I hated having a mask on my face and kept taking it off at night. I also recall that feeling of suffocating too. I tried different air flow settings and spent some time wearing it while reading in bed. I got used to it and fall asleep easily now.

It does sound like your ramp is not adjusted. Your provider should have adjusted it for you and told you how to adjust it further. You may also need a different style of mask. Hang in there!

Been thinking about the OP...

#1. If the air seems stale, it may just be overheated/overhumidified. I was used to sleeping with a window open and having fresh cold air. Try turning the heat/humidifier setting off or at least down to lowest setting. Do continue using water in the humidifier even if you have the heat off.

#2. Not familiar with the ResMed unit, but I think most units have a way to avoid using the ramp. My settings are: full pressure is only 7, ramp starts at 5. Five is not bad... my old machine started at 3 and that felt very restrictive. There should be two buttons, one uses the ramp, and the other should start the machine at full pressure. Either adjust the ramp setting for a higher starting pressure, or start with full pressure.

bb

Been thinking about the OP...

#1. If the air seems stale, it may just be overheated/overhumidified. I was used to sleeping with a window open and having fresh cold air. Try turning the heat/humidifier setting off or at least down to lowest setting. Do continue using water in the humidifier even if you have the heat off.

#2. Not familiar with the ResMed unit, but I think most units have a way to avoid using the ramp. My settings are: full pressure is only 7, ramp starts at 5. Five is not bad... my old machine started at 3 and that felt very restrictive. There should be two buttons, one uses the ramp, and the other should start the machine at full pressure. Either adjust the ramp setting for a higher starting pressure, or start with full pressure.

bb
my level is 13, I start at 11 but I'm a beast and most of the time I adjust so there is no ramp.

increasing the start level or having the ramp time shorter may help a lot!

my level is 13, I start at 11 but I'm a beast and most of the time I adjust so there is no ramp.

increasing the start level or having the ramp time shorter may help a lot!

My old level was 12 (and started at 3, it took forever to get up to full pressure, but I got used to it. That mashine had no humidifier and was not self adjusting, big diff to today's units!). After the most recent study, a few years ago, I was shocked to see they had turned the level down to 9, and then down to 7. Somehow I'm not as obstructive as I used to be???

My old level was 12 (and started at 3, it took forever to get up to full pressure, but I got used to it. That mashine had no humidifier and was not self adjusting, big diff to today's units!). After the most recent study, a few years ago, I was shocked to see they had turned the level down to 9, and then down to 7. Somehow I'm not as obstructive as I used to be???
If you allow the doc to constantly monitor (I don't), they will adjust as needed. Not to mention new units will auto-titrate as needed during the night. It's a lot better for you in the long run.

I should go back in and do another sleep study to see where I am.

If you allow the doc to constantly monitor (I don't), they will adjust as needed. Not to mention new units will auto-titrate as needed during the night. It's a lot better for you in the long run.

I should go back in and do another sleep study to see where I am.

My machine is not hooked up to a phone or the internet. But they do have me send in the card once in awhile.

The auto feature is wonderful... all masks typically leak as the flesh compresses during the night or because of sleep movements... often I wake up in the morning and the unit is blowing out 12 or 13 as air is streaming around the mask. It's giving me what I need to keep apneas from occuring!!! Alternatively, the unit may turn the pressure down if breathing remains constant, relaxed, easy. I have a Dreamstation and it's the best unit I've ever owned.

I googled my machine and turned the pressure up. I like it much better with the higher pressure. Try other masks. Prices aren't too bad on Amazon.

I'd recommend making an appointment with your provider. Take the machine with you. Demonstrate and discuss exactly what's working for you and what's not. They can help adjust it for efficiency and comfort. Certainly worth a co-pay to get some decent sleep (and save your sanity/life).

If you use water, filtered/distilled/purified is the way to go - dump it and change it nightly. Bacteria and slime can multiply quickly in a tank simply topped off with tap water, especially since it's heated.

Some recommend finding "jailbreak" (clinical manual) instructions online in order to tweak the settings prescribed by a doctor/tech for each unique patient. If you do, I'd endorse writing down the programmed numbers first - so you can return to that baseline if things only get worse.

Many also disable and skip the gentle ramp-up stage, falling asleep very quickly at optimum pressure without waiting a few minutes (or several) for it to build up.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top