JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
inspect for cracks, pitting, functionality... pull the slide back, make sure it locks back with an empty mag in the well. then make sure it'll drop slide with the slide stop. then dry fire a couple times.

as for whether or not its stolen (which i'm guessing is actually what you're talking about)... not your concern. just be happy you're getting a good deal on a gun the government will never know you have, and move on with life. i've bought a gun or two from private parties... i've also opted not to, because the seller seemed like a bubblegumin tweeker.

guns are no different than cars, tools, TVs or couches... if you're buying from a private party, there's always that small risk that the item was stolen at some point in it's life. it's really none of your business- only what happens with it after it becomes yours.

i know what to look for as far as performance wise. i would hate to buy a stolen gun carry it on me or even be shooting it in the woods cops look at the serials and it be stolen. idk kinda weird to me id feel better buying a used gun from someone who bought it new and had all the paperwork i guess.

inspect for cracks, pitting, functionality... pull the slide back, make sure it locks back with an empty mag in the well. then make sure it'll drop slide with the slide stop. then dry fire a couple times.

as for whether or not its stolen (which i'm guessing is actually what you're talking about)... not your concern. just be happy you're getting a good deal on a gun the government will never know you have, and move on with life. i've bought a gun or two from private parties... i've also opted not to, because the seller seemed like a bubblegumin tweeker.

guns are no different than cars, tools, TVs or couches... if you're buying from a private party, there's always that small risk that the item was stolen at some point in it's life. it's really none of your business- only what happens with it after it becomes yours.

I disagree, the history of the gun should be very much your concern. Imagine trying to defend yourself in court after a justified shooting where you used a stolen gun. Not to mention, if YOU had a gun stolen from you wouldn't you want it back? I had a friend that had a gun stolen from him, and his main concern was that some tweaker P.O.S. now possessed his .45 in the same neighborhood where he and his family lived. Just to know his gun wasn't in the hands of the criminal that stole it would be a huge relief.

In Oregon you can call the State Police and they'll run a check to see if it has been reported stolen. I've bought used guns without checking first, but because of the reasons above I call them in later.

I disagree, the history of the gun should be very much your concern. Imagine...In Oregon you can call the State Police and they'll run a check to see if it has been reported stolen. I've bought used guns without checking first, but because of the reasons above I call them in later.

I have only bought one used gun that was not from a known entity or gun dealer. It was a yard sale, and the deal was just way too good to pass up. anyway, I called the State Police and they confirmed the gun was GTG. feeling much better, I still have it to this day...

Do you trace the S/N of everything you buy used to make sure it has not been stolen or used in a crime? Skis, electronic gear, appliances, guns -- they all have S/N's that you could trace (with effort) to see if they have been stolen.

I don't trace these things when I'm buying them used from a person who appears to righfully own them.

Just buy it, use it, forget about it.

===============

You can't have both the security of knowing the gun's complete history and ownership AND the liberty of being free from gun registration. Choose one or the other.

Check sellers ID as to being same state resident and fill out a bill of sale that is available to you free on this site. If it is stolen most likely they will not be willing to do this and the BOS also covers you in the event of it being stolen. This is paperwork between you and the seller/buyer not the government.

Do you trace the S/N of everything you buy used to make sure it has not been stolen or used in a crime? Skis, electronic gear, appliances, guns -- they all have S/N's that you could trace (with effort) to see if they have been stolen.

I don't trace these things when I'm buying them used from a person who appears to righfully own them.

Just buy it, use it, forget about it.

===============

You can't have both the security of knowing the gun's complete history and ownership AND the liberty of being free from gun registration. Choose one or the other.

I don't do traces on everything for 2 reasons. 1) they don't have an easy friendly process to track things other than guns. When they do I'll check those items also. 2) I've tried to get the police involved in recovering stolen goods before, not such an easy thing, even if you know who, where, what, etc. They tend to jump all over it if it is a gun, so I like to see the jackhole's get busted when the law DOES interject.

fyi,When you call in to see if a gun is stolen they only need to know your info if the gun IS stolen. So there is absolutely NO hinderance on your freedom.

Also the guy selling the gun may not know it was stolen so they look like and BE upstanding citizens but you never know where THEY got the gun. I for one would much rather find out the "steal of a deal" is stolen, BEFORE I pay my hard earned cash than find out 3 years down the road (when you can't remember WHERE the gun came from) and for whatever reason the cops run the serial and find out it's stolen. Then you are left "high and dry" trying to explain why you have a stolen gun. At the very least at this point you're out a gun.

I will get a bill of sale signed by the buyer/seller, include the serial number of the gun and the drivers license/name and address of the seller/buyer if you can get that info.

You want to make sure you do not sell to someone that is out of state, without going through an FFL in accordance with Federal Law.

If you're concerned about it being stolen, call this number in Oregon: 1-800-432-5059
<broken link removed>

A 30 second Google search answered this question.

There are debates about what info to take. Personally, I check to see if the gun is stolen and that the buyer seller is from the same state and whether they are legally able to own a firearm (you ask the questions and/or see ID).

Then buy/sell. It's the same as buying/selling a vehicle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top