JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend got my hooked on bass fishing, so far only have caught one that was to small but was nice to actually hook it. I have been fishing by Fern Ridge on Fridays after work, would like to find somewhere close to Corvallis but really don't know much about bass fishing or fishing in general.

Any advice is welcome.

Rooster tails-medium size in green/yellow, blue, crawdad pattern, also rebel "wee craw" in silver, brown, and green. Worms on the bottom or jalapeno jack cheese on a treble hook on the bottom

Those little rapala countdowns in rainbow trout work excellent too
If your not squeamish you can hook those little green tree frogs or salamanders through the lip and put them under a float. Works like a charm but if some PETA type catches you you'll be on the local news trying to prove that your not Jack The Ripper

I ended up picking up some more worms along with something that looks like bait fish. I am hoping to try some out tomorrow after work, we will see how it goes.

You may want to take a look at the Willamette between Albany and Salem for small mouth, I've had excellent success for them there. A good drift boat comes in handy. Try dead drifting a Yamattos or YUM green or motor oil colored 6" worm with just enough weight "bullet type" to pull it to the bottom. Once there, just twitch it back to you slowly while paying close attention the belly in your line. If it suddenly goes slack or swims to one side,, set the hook! You can also flip it out and jig it back like a lure. There are also largemouth here.
The good old fashioned night crawler works well here also, along with the plethora of other lures, such as crank baits, divers and the like but I prefer to keep it as simple as possible. Enjoy.

Those little rapala countdowns in rainbow trout work excellent too
If your not squeamish you can hook those little green tree frogs or salamanders through the lip and put them under a float. Works like a charm but if some PETA type catches you you'll be on the local news trying to prove that your not Jack The Ripper

Coastal steelheader, did you know that the harmless looking little yellow bellied salamander is the most poisonous amphibian in north America? The skin exudes a toxin that is deadly if ingested. Just a word of caution for those that Handel them, not that I thought you would go around trying a bite of salamander or anything:s0112:. Only the larval stage of their young are not toxic, which bass do tear the butt out of. The adults go after the spawning beds of bass, and the bass do attack and remove them, but dont eat them. See ya on the river,, John.

Coastal steelheader, did you know that the harmless looking little yellow bellied salamander is the most poisonous amphibian in north America? The skin exudes a toxin that is deadly if ingested. Just a word of caution for those that Handel them, not that I thought you would go around trying a bite of salamander or anything:s0112:. Only the larval stage of their young are not toxic, which bass do tear the butt out of. The adults go after the spawning beds of bass, and the bass do attack and remove them, but dont eat them. See ya on the river,, John.

They are nasty for sure, but bass can't resist smacking them.

I might try that, don't have access to a boat. Maybe down the road but for right now I am going to try some bank fishing. I went off the Crystal Lake Boat Ramp, was casting out with a spinner. Would let the current take it down a bit then reel it in, I could see something silver jumping downstream and I saw something above the ramp do the same thing.

I might try that, don't have access to a boat. Maybe down the road but for right now I am going to try some bank fishing. I went off the Crystal Lake Boat Ramp, was casting out with a spinner. Would let the current take it down a bit then reel it in, I could see something silver jumping downstream and I saw something above the ramp do the same thing.

The next trip I head over there, I'll send you a PM a week in advance, if your willing to fish with an old fart that is.

fan cast the shores and under docks. when the water gets warmer they spawn, before during and just after that is great times. use plastics,spinners, jigs, crank baits, just about anything you can work good. The next thing is the color of lures, every day is different just take a few different ones in your lures of choice and should have a blast. next thing you know there is gonnabe "walter" on your hook!:s0155:

I am hoping, I am going to try again at Fern Ridge Friday, theres also another pond I might try down in the Eugene area that I was told was good. Looking at all the different fishing lures and all that is a lil daunting. There are so many to choose from.

there are alot of ways to fish bass, so there are tons and tons of lures out there. If you are just starting out, I'm assuming your using a spinning reel, the one lure you should use is a spinner. they come in many colors, sizes, and styles. I would start with colors like blue, red or greens. there are sooo many colors but those are some good ones. I live in Washington state and one of the "go to's" is a blue/black spinner. the spinner gives you also options on how you use it. fast on the top, medium in the center colum of depth or slow with some bottom bounce. lots of ways and when you catch a bass remember how you were reeling because thats gonna be how they all act for that day, pretty much. One other way you could try is a "Texas rigged" plastic worm. One of my favorites. Cast that worm next to a dock, log, along a bank, thru the lilies, ect.. and they will nail that thing! You can google texas rigged worms for a example of how its set up. dont be afraid to ask your local fishing store advice on colors for lakes and where to go. some will not say anything but most will be glad to help another get involved in bass fishing. That was alot of stuff there, that covered a very small area in the world of bass fishing there are so many things to learn and that is what keeps me going is that is not always the same. dont get overwhelmed with taking on to many styles, get to know a couple and don't stop till you are very confident with using those lures then learn a couple more and so on. hope that was some help. good luck

One of the best ways to find good fishing spots and ponds and etc. It look on google earth. Me and my buddies are HUGE into bass fishing. We like finding those back ponds that are hiding them 6+ pounders. By google earth you can scope out terrain next to you that you cant see and without having to hike. By buddies dad owns land and they have private ponds that we fish all year round. They hold bass BIG BASS pulled 8lb 6oz last summer, crappie and other junk fish. Winter time crawdads are the ultimate. They cant get enough.!!!

Going to have to try and find some spots close to Corvallis, also taking up bowfishing but the only places we have been is Kirk Park area south of us.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top