JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very good suggestion. However, I am not working on an upper this time around. The reason I didn't have that on the list.. I've gone hog wild on AR's guys. My wife and I are hoping this will be the last for a while.. :p.. Well, at least my wife is hoping so anyway... :oops:

You'll still want the armorer's wrench and torque wrench when you tighten the castle nut on your buffer tube.

Thanks etrain. I really appreciate that. One of the tools I forgot to mention was the armorers wrench. I knew I'd end up needing that, so I bought it at the same time as I bought my first AR. I also have a torque wrench. I'll eventually buy a vise block. Do you guys have a good suggestion on a good vise block?

You'll still want the armorer's wrench and torque wrench when you tighten the castle nut on your buffer tube.

Etrain, I am not going to use a castle nut. Just the buffer tube straight to the receiver, then the PRS on top of that... Great suggestion though, if working on a carbine.

Thanks etrain. I really appreciate that. One of the tools I forgot to mention was the armorers wrench. I knew I'd end up needing that, so I bought it at the same time as I bought my first AR. I also have a torque wrench. I'll eventually buy a vise block. Do you guys have a good suggestion on a good vise block?

I just bought one off the Internet, from Amazon, I believe. Just chose whichever one had mostly good reviews. Not much to them, so I don't know how much they vary between brands.

Those wizzbang "upgrades" often don't make it a better shooter. Most are merely aesthetic. As for the NB bolts.. 90% of shooters dont fire enough rounds regularly to even need those.

Go for the cheaper one. Invest more in ammo.

I just bought one off the Internet, from Amazon, I believe. Just chose whichever one had mostly good reviews. Not much to them, so I don't know how much they vary between brands.

Cool. I'll bet Curt's has a good one I can buy there. I don't think they are that expensive. Thanks for the offer to borrow though.. I actually live in the dalles and try to avoid going into Portland anymore..:D

I wouldn't buy the Chinese ones....they're cast with usually a "Hammertone" paint finish on them.
I've been using the Gem State Armorer's wrench.
Made in Idaho and they sell out fast.
I think I paid around $40. (don't know how they make a profit)
Comes with the scalloped tool head which fits the milspec barrel nut like a glove.
GemWrench-121507.jpg

I wouldn't buy the Chinese ones....they're cast with usually a "Hammertone" paint finish on them.
I've been using the Gem State Armorer's wrench.
Made in Idaho and they sell out fast.
I think I paid around $40. (don't know how they make a profit)
Comes with the scalloped tool head which fits the milspec barrel nut like a glove.
View attachment 367378

I agree with you on that, my post above was referring only to the vise block.

I like that wrench though, may have to consider that down the road.

I agree with you on that, my post above was referring only to the vise block.

I like that wrench though, may have to consider that down the road.
I'm using the Brownell's clam shell which is a very well made piece of kit.
This one in the pic below is probably the best buy anywhere on an AR upper vise block.
There are several around that are similar, but only hold by the pin lugs with the upper sitting upright.
This one turns it 90° and uses a "top hat" for a more secure hold.
AR MORERS HEAVY DUTY upper VISE BLOCK .223 .556 GREASE 4/15 NON- S.C.A.R.I.N.G. | eBay
AR15 upper receiver VISE BLOCK .223 barrel nut tool AR15 vise block BENCH TOOL | eBay
(not sure what the difference in the two listings is....I would message him)
s-l1600.jpg
This is machined HDPE, so my guess is that he's a retired machinist selling on Ebay.

Last Edited:
Pretty happy with it so far, although haven't shot it. Still not sure on checking headspace...

I've heard a bunch of conflicting info on whether or not 5.56, .223, and etc. headspace Go and No Go gauges are all compatible. I think I want to end up buying a set as my father-in-law is interested in doing a build now as well. But I wanna get out and shoot this weekend and probably can't get them shipped in time. I might see if any of the LGS's in Vancouver that are open on Saturday have them and will do a check on it.

Seems like no one can agree if it's even necessary, but I definitely like to err on the side of caution.

This is the only gage needed:
BROWNELLS 5.56MM MAXIMUM HEADSPACE GAUGE | Brownells

Don't forget your armorer's wrench, torque wrench as well as vice blocks, upper and lower. MagPul makes one that does both but I haven't used one. I do prefer this style for uppers since it allows you to install the dust cover, though the clam shell type seems like it would provide more support when you torque the barrel. I've used both types for that job and both work.

It's called a Bev Block, they are gtg although I prefer the Geissele Reaction Rod and Block.
MAGPUL AR-15 BEV BLOCK | Brownells

Last Edited:
I have found these too limiting, they can not be used with a handguard install. When it comes to upper work nothing beats a reaction rod IMO.
I would agree that the Geissele product might be the best solution, but its price tag is going to put off some (lots of) folks.
The vice block I posted is probably the best buy for a budget block set.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top