New to ARs, looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Semi-Automatic Rifles' started by NW_bang_bang, Apr 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Brutus57

Brutus57
    State of Jefferson

I didn't know the first thing about building an AR nor did I have the tools either...but since Sandy Hook had just happened I wanted one before they were illegal (kicking myself for not buying a Bushmaster with a complete second upper in 1985 to this day for like $495.00).....

But after SH you couldn't find any black rifles and if listed on the web they were going for 2-3x MSRP! So I did my research ALOT, used my limited budget to start buying parts/tools when they came in stock or I found them at gun shows. Took me, heck, maybe a year and I "cheated" with a BCM complete upper because I was living in an apartment at the time with no bench/ vise, etc. and I found the exact BCM upper I wanted at a gun show, on sale and I had the cash in my pocket.

I lost one spring in building the stripped lower but no problem since I ended up with an extra PLK cause so much was backordered during the panic.

Put it it all together, several function checks, a little lube....and off to the range, bang! first time, every time.

So if a complete caveman like me, who the girls find more handsome than handy...(though I can shake or 3 tab a roof, swap out a motorcycle clutch, install a toilet)... can knock together a decent AR....Many folks can...and I enjoyed learning a LOT doing it. YMMV Oh yeah, I bought a book by some AR experts that helped me immensely. It was worth the less than $20.00 I paid for it.:D

Brutus Out

2. L84Cabo

L84Cabo
    Orcas Island, WA

You've talked about wanting to run a red dot and "removing the A Frame front sight." It's good that you're thinking about the ultimate configuration you want the rifle to be. If the intent is to run a red dot, I greatly prefer not having a big fat front sight post sticking up in your field of view. So why on earth are you looking at rifles with a fixed front sight?

Take a look at the Colt 6920 OEM2. It's a VERY reasonably priced Top Tier, flat top, low pro gas block, rifle base that you can add your preference of hand guard, butt stock, sights and optic, to.

Or look at whatever upper and lowers you want. But why spend the money for a fixed front sight if you're just going to have to spend the time and money to remove it later? There's plenty of flat top, low pro gas block, options out there.

FYI...As a quick example, here's a 6920 OEM 2 at Buds for $785. You might even be able to find it for less.

COLT LE6920-OEM2 CAR 5.56 16 NO FURNMT

NW_bang_bang likes this.
  3. NW_bang_bang

NW_bang_bang
    Vancouver

Finally did it today... Ended up picking up an Aero X15 Gen 2 receiver, buffer kit and standard LPK (definitely getting rid of the A2 grip that came with it, do NOT like the angle).

Once I pick up tools and get it together, I'll post photos!

Thank you all again for the suggestions. I took all of them to heart and think I'm taking the best route for my current situation. I'm looking forward to getting building, I can't afford a project car, so a project gun is the next best thing ;)

3MTA3 and osprey like this.
  4. NW_bang_bang

NW_bang_bang
    Vancouver

Nothing too exciting, but here are a couple photos as promised. Psyched to start building!

Sorta thinking about building the upper now too... I'm only hesitant because I don't wanna mess up the part where things go boom :eek:

IMG_1276.JPG IMG_1278.JPG

3MTA3 likes this.
  5. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny
    Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

Not to fear, it's like a really, really cool erector set. I found the build videos on the nsz85 YouTube channel very useful: nsz85

Use this grease for your barrel and castle nuts: Aeroshell 33MS / 64 Mil-Spec AR Barrel Nut Thread Grease MIL-G-21164D 5ml Jar | eBay

Get the right tools and make sure you torque the barrel and castle nuts to the correct spec.

You don't need a heavy barrel profile, especially since you intend for the rifle to be used for protection. A lightweight barrel will do just as well and make the rifle MUCH easier to handle. I'd strongly suggest a Ballistic Advantage Hanson, Faxon GUNNER or BCM ELW. If I had it to do differently I'd have used one of those on my builds.

I built my first 2 AR's, and in fact the first one I shot was one of them: 3M's AR Builds

6. NW_bang_bang

NW_bang_bang
    Vancouver

Got the lower mostly finished... aside from some slight marring from trying to get the roll pin into the bolt catch and one bent pivot spring it went really well.

Gonna pick up a different trigger guard than what came with the parts kit and a new spring and hold off for a bit before I get the rest of the parts.

Gotta get rid of that A2 grip though, the angle and my stubby fingers make reaching the mag release less than ideal.

Thank you for the tips on the build videos and the grease. Definitely need to get that and a few more specialty tools before I move on. Can't wait to finish it! Next go around I'm thinking about an 80% lower.

IMG_1279.JPG IMG_1280.JPG

3MTA3 and ChaoticReason like this.