JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry to disagree with starting out cheap. Most of the time you'd be money ahead buying quality first. Buy once, cry once.

I'd have to agree with this. I did it the cheaper way first and am out a few hundred dollars what it would have cost me to just buy my current AR completed. if you are concerned about cost, look to piece the accessories from the used market.

I picked up a Surplus Ammo and Arms lower (Aero Precision) a couple of weeks back from Willamette Valley Arms $65. Can't beat that, should have bought a couple. Maybe the next time I'm in there.

Every gun will have problems. Take glocks for example. Countless pages of googling brings up problems yet people still buy them and like them. Google any gun and you will find problems. Plum crazy has their lifetime warranty going for them.

Sorry to disagree with starting out cheap. Most of the time you'd be money ahead buying quality first. Buy once, cry once.

Am I the only one that read the op post word for word? The op was wanting a rifle that would be a weekend warrior, that he can learn on, and do it cheap. Now if he said he had a $1000.00+ to spend then this thread would be in a different direction. When someone says cheap it usually means into something with as little money as possible.

I myself have bought quality from day one and I didn't learn a thing from it. It was only when I bought cheap products that I actually opened my eyes to learning something.

The op wants to learn with a cheap rifle. I can't think of a better way for him to learn then
with a product that has a lifetime warranty.

This reminds me of when I worked as a mechanic. The people that brought their cars in and spent their money without question were the clueless ones. It was the cheap people that brought their cars in that I enjoyed talking to because they actually knew what I was talking about.

Every gun will have problems. Take glocks for example. Countless pages of googling brings up problems yet people still buy them and like them. Google any gun and you will find problems. Plum crazy has their lifetime warranty going for them.

Glocks don't crack because of crappy composites, they go boom, because of bad ammo combined with a chamber that isn't fully supported.

Plum crazy on the other hand cracks, because they're cheap crap. BAD COMPARISON on your part. An extra $30-40 buys you a receiver that won't need a life time warranty, because it will last a life time. The tiny bit of extra money you spend now saves you the trouble of having to ship a defective product back to the manufacturer later.

You get what you pay for, then again if you can't afford an extra $30, you probably shouldn't be spending money on a firearm to begin with.

There is a Guy in West Linn that sell's Del-Ton kit rifles with a Del-Ton stripped lower and a 20rd Pmag for $610 cheap and has a much better track record then the Plum crazy Lower. About the only deal that I have heard of is $595 at the gun show and it was built on a Plum crazy. There is cheap and then there is a $15 upgrade that just makes sense. Not to mention its a kit so the OP get's to build it.

Glocks don't crack because of crappy composites, they go boom, because of bad ammo combined with a chamber that isn't fully supported.

Plum crazy on the other hand cracks, because they're cheap crap. BAD COMPARISON on your part. An extra $30-40 buys you a receiver that won't need a life time warranty, because it will last a life time. The tiny bit of extra money you spend now saves you the trouble of having to ship a defective product back to the manufacturer later

You get what you pay for, then again if you can't afford an extra $30, you probably shouldn't be spending money on a firearm to begin with.

So now your comparing failure rates? Has every one of the plum crazy lowers cracked? Have you done a search on THIS forum and seen the happy reviews from our members?

As I stated, ANY firearm will have a problem. No matter if it's a keltech or nighthawk product. Don't like plum crazy lowers? Fine, then don't buy them. They are a great way to get into a inexpensive rifle though. Also, not everybody has the access to $65 lowers. Transfer fees, shipping, bgc, or gas to drive the 2 hours make it not quite a $65 lower anymore.

Am I the only one that read the op post word for word? The op was wanting a rifle that would be a weekend warrior, that he can learn on, and do it cheap. Now if he said he had a $1000.00+ to spend then this thread would be in a different direction.

No, I read the OP. I am still of the opinion that buying the cheapest possible will end up costing you more in the long run.

Did I say he had to spend $1K to get quality? No. You can get an excellent quality AR for $800 + optics. There is a big difference in being cheap and buying wisely. You have to find the value/cost ratio that works best for you.

No, I read the OP. I am still of the opinion that buying the cheapest possible will end up costing you more in the long run.

Did I say he had to spend $1K to get quality? No. You can get an excellent quality AR for $800 + optics. There is a big difference in being cheap and buying wisely. You have to find the value/cost ratio that works best for you.

$800 or $600. Reading the ops post it would seem that he would want to go with the lower option.

$800 or $600. Reading the ops post it would seem that he would want to go with the lower option.

I am leaning towards the lower end of the spectrum. A past hobby of mine was modifying cars. I bought all the expensive types of things, only thinking expensive was better. I learned the hard way that more $$ isn't always better. Since I am not a pro I want to consider this my learning phase. A del-ton or psa kit would fit right along those lines. I really appreciate everyone giving their opinions. I don't mind going with a simple stripped receiver for now. I have a good 50-60 years of life left in me, so I have plenty of time to figure this all out.

I am leaning towards the lower end of the spectrum. A past hobby of mine was modifying cars. I bought all the expensive types of things, only thinking expensive was better. I learned the hard way that more $$ isn't always better. Since I am not a pro I want to consider this my learning phase. A del-ton or psa kit would fit right along those lines. I really appreciate everyone giving their opinions. I don't mind going with a simple stripped receiver for now. I have a good 50-60 years of life left in me, so I have plenty of time to figure this all out.

As you have seen from this thread that their are many options out there for ars. It comes down to what you want and how much you wanna spend. I would suggest hitting the gun shows in your area. They have always gave me a great deal of knowledge of how things work, what's useless and what's not, current prices, availability, ect, ect.

I am leaning towards the lower end of the spectrum. A past hobby of mine was modifying cars. I bought all the expensive types of things, only thinking expensive was better. I learned the hard way that more $$ isn't always better.
I agree, highest cost doesn't mean highest quality, but too often cheapest cost doesn't end up being that. Most of the time I've found that paying a little more than the cheapest give a better over all value.

mrsafeway said:
Since I am not a pro I want to consider this my learning phase. A del-ton or psa kit would fit right along those lines.
I think a PSA kit would be a good value, not the cheapest, but good choice.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top