JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to AR's and looking to go for a basic budget build. Has anyone heard of the company palmetto state armory and the kits that they put together?

I.E. <broken link removed>

and also getting one of these little guys...

Aero Precision AR15 Stripped Flat Top Upper Receiver - Surplus Ammo

I am not going off to fight Bigfoot in the woods. But would like to build an AR by myself and save some money that way.

Thanks for the input gents.

There has been plenty of discussion on their kits on this board. If you scroll down to the Rifle and Shotgun Discussion section, then click on "search" at the top right of the screen and type "Palmetto", 9 threads will pop up from the past 2 years. Lots of good reading.

Good luck on your build; I just started collecting parts for my first as well.

PSA uppers seem decent but I know a couple have come in recently that were defectively assembled (carbine gas tube on a mid-length upper). For budget builds, I like the del-ton kits.

There has been plenty of discussion on their kits on this board. If you scroll down to the Rifle and Shotgun Discussion section, then click on "search" at the top right of the screen and type "Palmetto", 9 threads will pop up from the past 2 years. Lots of good reading.

Good luck on your build; I just started collecting parts for my first as well.

Thank you, I should've done a better job searching. DOH.

PSA uppers seem decent but I know a couple have come in recently that were defectively assembled (carbine gas tube on a mid-length upper). For budget builds, I like the del-ton kits.

I will check out del-ton. Appreciate the feedback.

I'd there some reason why your wanting a palmetto lower? There are other lowers that are just as good for cheaper.

A friend of mine suggested them as a quality budget build AR. I put a lot of firearm information trust in him. what are these other cheap lowers for cheaper? Keep in mind, I am looking for a kit.

My wife and Just finished Del-Ton kits. On Surplus Ammo lowers. They went together with no problems. Picked up a basic kit minus lower for $485 shipped

Not too shabby. Good info. Appreciate it. Shoot ok??

Aero Precision is good stuff, but I am not a fan of the Surplus Ammo roll mark so I ended up buying a bunch of stripped lowers from the $50 Palmetto sale. They're not Aero, but they are still quality lowers.

Finished one rifle so far, with 2 to go.

These will eventually be a 6.8 and a AR pistol.

There are alot of lowers ( spikes, aero, ssa, just to name a few ) that would be cheaper to get than a psa lower. Looking on palmettos website, you can get their lowers for $80.00. But once you ad in shipping to a ffl and a bgc im sure your gonna be over a $100.00. I just bought a new spikes lower at the gun show for $90.00 out the door. Also, plum crazy lowers are a great deal right now. Complete lowers with adjustable stocks were going for $120.00 at the gun show.

Either way you go, the difference in price is small but it's just extra money you could put somewhere else in the rifle.

Do yourself a huge favor and don't waste your money on plum crazy.

A simple google search will show you plum crazy isn't the best choice for a serious rifle.

They both shoot great, picked up a Surplus Ammo lower from a local FFL for $85 out the door and the Del-Ton kit from the same guy for $485. The quality of the Del-Ton is very impressive for the money. Great shooters! Opted to get the Magpul MOE kit looks great.

Do yourself a huge favor and don't waste your money on plum crazy.

A simple google search will show you plum crazy isn't the best choice for a serious rifle.

While plum crazy lowers are not for me (don't like poly on my guns) I can see them being just fine for a "basic budget build" rifle, which is what the op was wanting. As for a serious rifle, I wasn't aware the op was asking advice on a serious rifle build.

As far as google search, didn't see much when I looked.

You could do a lot worse than a Palmetto rifle kit with a stripped lower from SA&A. The Del-Ton kit is also a good way to go. I'd get the PSA kit. Personally I would skip the Plum Crazy route too. You can assemble a kit on a mil-spec lower and the cost difference will be negligible vs. a PC lower set up.

You can assemble a kit on a mil-spec lower and the cost difference will be negligible vs. a PC lower set up.

So say he gets a lower for $90.00, a lpk for $60.00' and a stock for $40.00. That's $190.00. With a plum crazy lower going for $120.00, that's a $70.00 difference.

If it were me and I was looking to build a rifle on a budget then why not? That $70.00 could go towards a rail, or a mbus, or ammo. Even better, plum crazy lowers have a lifetime warranty!

My plan was to go for budget build. As I begin to rat he stuff away I can always replace and redo it. I want to get my feet wet. Learn what I like/dislike and go from there. Being a younger guy I have a few years left in my collecting/enjoying of firearms. Pending my right to bear arms is still around *fingers crossed* I appreciate the discussion. I have been made aware of a company called TNT. Seems like a small outfit. I will do some searching on them, but have heard they are comparable to PSA.

So say he gets a lower for $90.00, a lpk for $60.00' and a stock for $40.00. That's $190.00. With a plum crazy lower going for $120.00, that's a $70.00 difference.

If it were me and I was looking to build a rifle on a budget then why not? That $70.00 could go towards a rail, or a mbus, or ammo. Even better, plum crazy lowers have a lifetime warranty!

One doesn't need to shop hard to make the cost difference more like $50 more for a Mil-Spec lower vs. a Plum Crazy lower. In my opinion the Plum Crazy really is a POS. If $50 is worth it to you then by all means go with the Plum Crazy. That lifetime warranty won't mean much to you if it fails on you in the middle of a firefight and you end up dying because of it. I know that is an extreme example but I think any reasonable gun person will come to the same conclusion after handling one of the Plum Crazy lowers. That's the cool thing about it, each to his own. Besides he wants to assemble it himself and the PC lowers come already assembeled. With a kit and a $69 lower from SA&A he gets the fun of building it too, that is priceless. :cool:

OP: Have fun building your first AR, but be careful it can be addicting! ;)

My plan was to go for budget build. As I begin to rat he stuff away I can always replace and redo it. I want to get my feet wet. Learn what I like/dislike and go from there. Being a younger guy I have a few years left in my collecting/enjoying of firearms. Pending my right to bear arms is still around *fingers crossed* I appreciate the discussion. I have been made aware of a company called TNT. Seems like a small outfit. I will do some searching on them, but have heard they are comparable to PSA.

Your on the right track so far. Start out cheap and you will learn what you like, dislike, upgrades you want, or don't want.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top