JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all!

I am interested in buying my first AK, and I don't know where to start. I own an SKS (norinco) and love it, but I want something mag fed and higher capacity. I spent alot of time shooting M-16s in the Army, and own an AR 15 now, but it's time for an AK!

I see WASRs out there, pretty cheap, but hear people poo-pooing them alot. Century Arms, American Tactical, Polish 1960 model, Saiga...so..what do I choose?

I know AKs are not precision instruents, but I want reliable, goes bang every time, and less slop than more. What fits that bill? All opinions, info (links etc) ,suggestions, or advice welcome and appreciated!
Thanks!
Chris

I actually would like an education in this too. I bought a Century Arms AK at the height of obamamania but didn't know alot about them other than I really wanted one. This was before I was aware that there are differences between all the different types. Is there a thread on here already that's "AK's for dummies"? I would like to know the differences between the different parts kits, quality, all that. I know that mine has a milled receiver and the guy at the gun store I just walked out of told me that more than likely it has a Polish parts kit. Is that good? He seemed to think so. I just (10 minutes ago) bought a Draco and he said it's a Romanian parts kit, which in his opinion, was middle of the road.

I DO know that I'm really happy with the Century Arms AK I bought. It goes bang every time. Accuracy seems pretty decent.

Like the OP, just wondering what you guys could tell me. Thanks. If there's already a thread on this could I get a link?

I can't wait to test out the new Draco this weekend!

Can't get more authentic than this.

SGL21 Series – 7.62x39 Caliber Russian Stamped Receiver AK-47 Variant Rifles

SGL21-61 for $799
http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=353

Article on the SGL
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/special-weapons/arsenal-sgl20-762x39mm

"SGL21 (Saiga) 7.62x39 caliber rifles are top notch, Russian made, stamped receiver, semi-automatic AK-47 variants remanufactured by Arsenal, Inc in Las Vegas, Nevada. All SGL21 rifles feature original Russian made 1mm stamped receiver, original Russian chrome lined hammer forged barrel, front sight block with bayonet lug and 24x1.5mm right-hand threads, gas block with accessory lug, US made anti-slap double stage trigger group, US made mil-spec. polymer stock set with stainless steel heat shield and trapdoor for cleaning kit, 1000 meter rear sight leaf, scope rail. They come with original Warsaw or NATO length buttstock, and in black, OD green, or plum color."

A $350ish WASR is just as good, function wise, as an SGL or other top end rifle. Folks poo-poo them because the fit and finish looks bad when compared the expensive AKs. In truth, if you took all of those hoighty toighty high end rifles and used them, in the field, as they are used everywhere else in the world, they would look just like a WASR in under a week. If you buy one, make sure it doesn't have canted sights or gas block.

A stock Saiga is another cheap way to get into an AK platform, and you can later deneuter it into any regular AK configuration you might like. There are also some really radical stock options out there if you are into the 'tacticool' look.

Older Chinese AKs like the NHMs and MAKs are a good option too. They are 100% Chinese made (unlike the Frankenstein rifles available today), are relatively inexpensive, and have top notch fit and finish...some of the best anywhere.

SGLs are a good value if you were planning on getting a converted Saiga in the first place. In the US, they are the closest that you will be able to get to the AK-100 series style of rifle.

Dracos...well, I don't own one, but they do look cool.

My most expensive AK cost me over $1,500. My cheapest, a ban-era WASR, cost around $300. The WASR (pictured below) is my go-to rifle in an emergency.

Keith (Did I mention that there are a ton of cool scopes for these, too...? :) )

A $350ish WASR is just as good, function wise, as an SGL or other top end rifle. Folks poo-poo them because the fit and finish looks bad when compared the expensive AKs. In truth, if you took all of those hoighty toighty high end rifles and used them, in the field, as they are used everywhere else in the world, they would look just like a WASR in under a week. If you buy one, make sure it doesn't have canted sights or gas block.

A stock Saiga is another cheap way to get into an AK platform, and you can later deneuter it into any regular AK configuration you might like. There are also some really radical stock options out there if you are into the 'tacticool' look.

Older Chinese AKs like the NHMs and MAKs are a good option too. They are 100% Chinese made (unlike the Frankenstein rifles available today), are relatively inexpensive, and have top notch fit and finish...some of the best anywhere.

SGLs are a good value if you were planning on getting a converted Saiga in the first place. In the US, they are the closest that you will be able to get to the AK-100 series style of rifle.

Dracos...well, I don't own one, but they do look cool.

My most expensive AK cost me over $1,500. My cheapest, a ban-era WASR, cost around $300. The WASR (pictured below) is my go-to rifle in an emergency.

Keith (Did I mention that there are a ton of cool scopes for these, too...? :) )

Better look again, that $350 number is Extinct

Oh please. I did say $350ish, as I am not limiting my discussion to new rifles. Used rifles, especially ban-era WASRs, can still found in the $350s, due to their lack of muzzle threading or bayonet lug.

Keith

Check out The AK Forum It's a HUGE, encyclopediac, free site and multiple messageboard with extensive tutorials and photo section for all nationalities of AKs and SKSs too---all run and populated by AK nuts and experts. There is also buy/sell section that can be searched for actual sale prices of individual models. This site is simply wonderful, but it WILL take up a lot of your time!............................elsullo

WASR's are hit or miss. I've owned 2 GP WASR's (only 1 now) and both have fired fine. Actually, the mag wobble was worse in my Mak90 than in my GP WASR's. The Norinco Mak90 is well-built and you can definitely feel a difference when you hold when next to a WASR. Perhaps my favorite AK's are the ones from Arsenal. I got lucky and picked up a milled Arsenal AK a few years ago and looking at the current going priced for it, I get very tempted to sell it. Another solid AK is a SAR-1 (mine was from Century). The bad thing about WASR's is that they were designed for Single Stack magazines, hence the mag wobble in "some" of them. A gun I would highly recommend at THIS TIME is the Draco AK pistol from Century. They are very well built and are fun to shoot. I see them going for around $380-400 and trust me, right now is the "good old days" to get one for that price. You can even SBR them as well. Just my $0.02 fellas.

Oh please. I did say $350ish, as I am not limiting my discussion to new rifles. Used rifles, especially ban-era WASRs, can still found in the $350s, due to their lack of muzzle threading or bayonet lug.

Keith

Sorry Keith, in Arizona it doesn't work that way. Here private sale used guns always cost more than new, unless a very good friend is feeling nice...
BTW my cost on Centerfire's TG International (not Century Arms builds)
built AMD-65's was $399 last buy. Next one will be more $$$ as my price has already gone up

It all comes down to who did the build. Some parts are much nicer than others (Polish, EG, Russian ..... Egyptian, Romanian are not so nice). Personally, I wouldn't touch a WASR and definitely not a Century build. Luckily, the first AK I bought was a Vepr.

Coctailer had some AKs built with Russian Tula parts that were a decent price and a pretty good build.

Send SilverFox a PM and ask him. He is an AK nutcase........lol

8185659c.jpg

Maybe I am.

I am not going to repeat what others have mentioned, but I would and learn as much as you can.

As far as your WASR consider it a 1989 Toyota 4x4 pickup, a NORINCO MAK 90 a unimog and a SGL21 an escalade. Hope that helps.

SF-

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago I would have said Arsenal, Vector, or Krebs (if you have the cash), but the Saiga is <broken link removed> as it gets and (thankfully still) costs less than those others.

8185659c.jpg

Maybe I am.

I am not going to repeat what others have mentioned, but I would and learn as much as you can.

As far as your WASR consider it a 1989 Toyota 4x4 pickup, a NORINCO MAK 90 a :s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155:unimog and a SGL21 an escalade. Hope that helps.

SF-

Thanx SF...lol....just a little jab....I am as much as an AK nut as you are. I have built 10 of them and starting on #11.

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads