1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New Thread - Gun stories

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by tac, May 3, 2016.

1. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

Mornin', all. tac here in far-off East Anglia with a new thread subject - one that I'm hoping will generate interest, participation and dig up some memories, good or bad. Many of us have older guns, that could tell some stories, and some of us have newer guns that have yet to make them, but that's the fun, isn't it? Making the stories happen with them, one way or another is all part of owning firearms, for whatever reason we do it.

Since the thread is all my fault - I'll kick off with my first story, and trust me, there are more.

As some pf you know - and a couple of people here actually know me to to shake hands with - most of my guns are older in style and operation, and that's for reasons that are outside the scope of this thread, and the story of one in particular always makes me smile.

Here's the yarn, and if you have one - and let's be honest, who hasn't? please join in...

Writing to a lady shooter here in yUK, who runs safaris in Southern Africa, we got talking about her partner, a noted gunsmith here in yUK, who sadly passed away last year. I recalled him being very helpful with regard to repairing the take-down latch on my 1912 Model B Mauser, and I tokd her about its history and what had taken place over the last year or so....

M..........., I still have my lovely old Mauser Model B in .7x57, and here is a spooky story - but a true one.

It was bought from the Army & Navy Stores on London in early 1913 by the Price family, who were heading out to Rhodesia to farm tobacco. Fast forward to 1989, when Mugabe and his thugs began their reign of terror on white settlers and farmers. The Price family, by then quite extensive, decided to split up - half came back to UK and the rest went to Kenya and neigbouring Tanzania. The Mauser came back to England, and, with a bunch of other guns, was auctioned in Liverpool in 1990.

At that time I was looking for an older Mauser, and Jim Clark, then owner of Henry Monks of Chester, bid for it for me. He ended up paying £120 as seen. I was happy.

I won many 'charging balloon' shoots with it, and enjoyed owning a little piece of history.

Fast forward to 2012, when a new club member arrived on the scene. Although he has a Portuguese name, he is from Tanzania, and was fascinated by the story of my Mauser, especially when it transpired that he had been to boarding school in Harare with a guy called Price. Photographs were taken - videos were made - see Youtube tac's guns Mauser - and phonecalls were made.

See -

Yes, said Nick Price, that was my great uncle's rifle, the one I learned to shoot with as a young hunter.

It really is a small world.

Your turn now...............

Ura-Ki, MountainBear, Joe13 and 3 others like this.
  2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

And Yes, the world is surprising small - don't burn bridges unless you have too.

I have a few inherited guns that I will be keeping but they don't have much of a story, mostly hunting shotguns from my dad and his dad, a revolver from his dad while on the police force and then I have a s&w 9mm and Ruger standard (mk1) that my other grandfather bought just to teach me how to shoot at 4.

The shotguns are broken in and ok but the 9mm and .22lr I grew up with and learned on every summer are my only real treasures and mostly because of the memories.

Still makes the thumb sore to load 8 rounds of .22 into a stick mag but dang if I don't feel 6 again every time I shoot her. Last round of shots, the looser had to buy Baskin Robins ice cream; I don't ever recall having to pay but that could have been him being nice:). I miss that old man and he was technically a step grandpa but the only one I ever met on that side and will remember him fondly every time I shoot one of those two pistols.

Not the best gun history story but that's all I got...
  3. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I have fond memories of an old single shot Savage-Stevens .22 that my father has. It was in a blond stock that had no buttplate, just grooves in the wood.
    I would beg for weeks to have him take me shooting.
    The gun was simple. It was a single shot bolt action. The breech was cone shaped and the bolt had a manual cocking piece (which might explain my current love for 1903 Springfields).
    We would go out to the cinder pits out China Hat Road in Bend. Everyone (even 30 years ago) left trash out there, which looking at it now was pretty sad, but at that age made for lots of cool stuff to shoot at.
    Anyway, back to the rifle. The cone shaped breech wasn't bad for the first couple rounds. After that, it heated up pretty quick. Each round had to be pushed into the chamber with the thumb. The bolt had to be closed and then the cocking piece drawn back with that same burned thumb. It was accurate enough to pick off the bits of garbage people had left about. Simple blade front and notch rear sight.
    My hands usually has about 15 to 20 rounds before my father could see me flinching whenever I had to pull back the cocking piece. Truth be told, I would have gladly kept shooting, but he probably knew better.
    That gun still exists in a closet or safe somewhere. About a year and a half ago, a very similar rifle came through my shop for replacement of a missing rear sight. When the customer came to pick the gun up, we did some talking and it stayed at the shop. It's currently being cleaned up and refinished. When my 9-month old is a bit bigger, I have two or three 100-round bricks of CCI waiting for him to make some memories of his own with his rifle.
  4. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

My wife's family live in Ohio, small town farmsville.
    Her dad owns a 100 acre farm. They bought it in the 70s from an estate of a old guy the past away. About 10 years after owning the place an old guys pulls in the driveway and asks her dad if he ever found the guns in the attic. He said no, and had never been in the attic. Mind you this is an old farm house if you went in the attic you would probably fall through the floor. But the guy said the owner that past was a Vet who stashed some firearms in the attic and if he finds them their his now.

Any way he snooped where he could safely one day and found an old WW2 German pilots pistol. I think it was an old CZ. And supposedly there's at least 4-6 other guns up there.
    Some are more war trophies.

Man I would love to see whats there. I asked last time we visited them, but he just said it wasn't safe.

AndyinEverson and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

when I was a kid, my father shot a brook trout in the head with the 357 recover he carried while it was swimming in a pond. He didnt really think about it, just "oh a fish" and shot it. Had it for dinner that night. No clue if he had a fishing license

Funny I can still remember where it was given it was almost 40 years ago

tac and AndyinEverson like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

My Grand Dad had always taken great pride in his grand kids and wanted to make sure we learned all about fire arms and the history of all things gun related. He would spend countless hours with each one of us and teach us every thing he knew, which was considerable having served in Europe during WW2. It was also a really good way for him to impart wisdom on us and a good bonding experience. At the age of 12, He would take us to the local gun shop and we each picked out our first .22 rifle. I still have that Winchester Mod 52. We all spent many years together shooting, and had many competitions to see who was the better shot with there .22 rifles. All of us fondly remember the times spend with Grand Dad, all the things we learned, all of the little things he was known for, and his funny sayings that some how always made sence! Sure do miss all those sunny summer days, and sure do miss Grand Dad!